It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: short distance 3 wt rod
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:44 pm • # 1 

Need a little help. I have one 6' 6" LL Bean 3 wt. But it really doesn't load with under 20' of line out. Maybe I need to try a 4 wt line.

You Cabela's CGR 3 wt owners, does it cast really close in, 10-15'? A stream I fish a lot is maybe 10' wide on average and really brushy.

Looking at the glass from Cane & Silk also.

bill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:46 am • # 2 

I have one of the Cane & Silk glass rods (6'6" 3wt.) and it does well up close.
I also have a 3wt bamboo (generic with no name printed on it - internet deal) that is great in close.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:42 am • # 3 

The CGR 2 weight or 3 weight rods will easily cast close in. Several other glass rods in those line weights would also be very good for close in fishing. However, unless you are accustomed to fishing glass, there will be a learning curve in casting. When I first started shifting from graphite to glass about 11 years ago, there were some rods (especially the slower action ones) that seemed almost impossible to cast smoothly. I now have a large variety of rods, ranging from very slow to quite fast for glass, and they all feel good to me. I have found in switching to glass, and having to adapt to a variety of actions, that my casting has improved considerably, though I will never be mistaken for an expert fly caster.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:02 pm • # 4 

scrubs48 wrote:
Need a little help. I have one 6' 6" LL Bean 3 wt. But it really doesn't load with under 20' of line out. Maybe I need to try a 4 wt line.

You Cabela's CGR 3 wt owners, does it cast really close in, 10-15'? A stream I fish a lot is maybe 10' wide on average and really brushy.

Looking at the glass from Cane & Silk also.

bill

Before you go and buy a new rod a old heavy line cut down to about 15 feet weighing the equivalent weight to either 3 or 4 weight might be the answer. Loads easily shoots easy too. I have grown fond of short heads.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:28 pm • # 5 

Thanks guys, soory to reply so late.

I put a DT4F on the rod and it's just what I want now.

bill

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply