It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Reel arbor filler
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:58 am • # 1 

I picked up an old Ryobi magnesium spring & pawl reel for use with my UL rod. It's very light but it's large diameter so there is a huge volume to fill in order to get the fly line close to the rim of the spool. I'd guess 100yd of 20lb dacron got me about halfway but that stuff is both spendy and astonishingly heavy. Is there a better way to shim the arbor out? I tried electronics foam but it was too compressible and the backing would bind up in the space between the spool and the foam.

Post subject: Re: Reel arbor filler
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:56 pm • # 2 

Some of the people I know who have encountered the same problem use sheet cork which you should be able to find easily.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:46 pm • # 3 

You could also use the self adhesive craft foam. One sheet for $.99 at Walmart the last time I picked any up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:56 am • # 4 

Thanks folks. For now I filled the innermost section with 30lb mono which was dirt cheap and works fine (probably a bit heavy), but the sheet cork idea sounds brilliant. As is, the rigging is pretty heavy -- from 2.9 oz empty reel to 4.7 oz fully lined.

Is the craft foam the rigid stuff that comes in all kinds of 3D geometric shapes? Indeed that might work too. My issues with the other foams I tried is that they deform too readily.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:42 am • # 5 

Probably not much help, but I can remember when some baitcasting reels came with a 2 piece cork liner that was fit to the spool shaft. (hard to describe with words) You could tie the line to the center shaft, put the cork liner on, and wind the line on to hold the cork liner in place. To get more line capacity simply leave the cork out of the filling process.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:29 am • # 6 

A foam yoga block @ walmart is costs 3 dollars and weighs nothing. I cut an arbor filler out of one of those for a number of different reels.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:53 am • # 7 

Most likely you can use the mono as line backing without much problem. If you never get into the backing while fighting a fish, then no problem. However, mono line usually tends to have a lot of memory, and after being coiled around the reel arbor for a while, the line will have a lot of coils in it. Also mono tends to degrade over time, much quicker than the dacron backing. A more serious problem that has been encountered by a few people, usually using a light reel, is that mono tends to stretch under tension, and if reeled onto the spool under tension, as the line tightens down, there have actually been some reels where the spool split. Mono also tends to "dig in" to the line under it when under tension. Many people have used mono as backing for years, but there are some distinct disadvantages to think of. The sheet cork to fill the arbor is very light, and you could use more than one layer to fill in space.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:51 pm • # 8 

The mono is behind 100y of dacron braid so unless I foul hook a wakeboat it's only purpose is to take up space and will never be unwound in anger. It is actually quite convenient for this purpose though I could probably save half an ounce by switching to cork or foam. I agree completely on the relative downsides of mono as functional backing though, not a good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:42 pm • # 9 

Which Ryobi are you using that it takes that much backing? I have been surprised a few times on some of the older reels with a small arbor at how much backing it took to fill the reel.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:44 pm • # 10 

You might also try to avoid hooking large carp.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:26 pm • # 11 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
Which Ryobi are you using that it takes that much backing? I have been surprised a few times on some of the older reels with a small arbor at how much backing it took to fill the reel.

Larry

Ryobi 355MG. It's fairly large diameter but the arbor itself is quite small, leaving a huge volume to fill. I do like the reel though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:35 pm • # 12 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
You might also try to avoid hooking large carp.

Larry

Unfortunately that advice directly conflicts with a long-standing fishing goal of mine...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:07 pm • # 13 

I know what you mean. I walked down to my favorite stream one spring day and counted about 25 large carp cruising around in a small pool. That day I had with me my Axisco Airrite Stream 7'6" 6 piece 3 weight, a very soft action Japanese glass rod. I kept looking at the carp, thinking no way in hell I can land one of those bruisers on this rod. And I was right. They just completely ignored my offerings. A friend of mine who lives nearby and is our local carp guru was summoned to the stream. He was amazed at how many carp were in such a small area. He did say it would be unlikely that anybody would catch any of those fish at that time. He thought they were in pre-spawn mode. They were not feeding, just circling about. I have caught several carp in that stream and one in the Brazos River in Texas. All were caught on 6 weight rods. Nothing flashy about the way they fight, just brute strength and bulldog stubborness. I need to spend more time trying to catch them. The first one I ever hooked was on the Illinois River in Oklahoma over 25 years ago while fishing for trout with light weight spinning gear, with 4 lb. test line. I think the hookup was purely accidental. I had that fish on for an hour and 20 minutes before it finally broke me off. It was about 20 minutes before I could work the carp back close enough to identify what it was. That whole time I thought I had a 10-12 lb. trout. My buddy was disappointed it was "only a carp". I said " only a carp, my ***, this is the toughest fish I've ever hooked into; to me this is a GAME fish".
Larry

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply