It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:44 am • # 1 

When stripping line out, the reel would frequently lock up. I opened it up each time, and every single time the leaf spring had popped off the rectangular bit that controls the drag. Upon close inspection, it looked like the spring was slightly twisted, causing it to slide off, so I twisted it slightly the other way with pliers. At the moment, it seems to be working, but I'm still concerned. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Should I try to fix it, or should I just contact Orvis?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:57 am • # 2 

It will probably work fine with what you have done, but it sure wouldn't hurt to check in with Orvis. Anytime you start tweaking springs, there is the danger of weakening it. I have adjusted some springs in the past, but I have always been afraid I was going to break it. Orvis has an excellent guarantee, so I would check with them. Toll free number doesn't cost anything but time.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:00 pm • # 3 

As Larry said, if it were me I'd contact Orvis, that thing is warrantied for life.

Another thing worth trying is to clean off any existing lubricant on there and reapply conservatively on the spindle, gears, and under the pawl and spring with something appropriate. Too much grease or too thick grease can cause weird issues with these reels, like binding up when stripped fast. I've "fixed" several old eBay reels this way.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply