It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: My New 1 wt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:49 am • # 1 

7'6" custom rod by Midwest Custom Flyrods. Piared with a Battenkill 1 and Rio DT.

l84Jra.jpg

Post subject: Re: My New 1 wt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:56 am • # 2 

I had a custom 1 wt 7'6" graphite made by Midwest Custom Flyrods. It is paired with a Battenkill I and a DT from Rio.

What tapered leader should I be looking for? Or is there a good rule of thumb in building one with Mazima? I also might try one of the braided leaders.

I can't figure how to post picts here. I can copy picts from the rod maker but only a jpg # shows and I can't make it deliver the actual picture.

DDB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:19 pm • # 3 

Go to: postimages

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:10 pm • # 4 

If you are interested in braided, or preferably furled, leaders, I would check out Streamside Leaders. Mike has by far the widest variety of leader choices, and his prices are among the lowest I have found. I have tried furled leaders from other sources, but I haven't found any better, or in most cases, even as good as his. He offers lots of options in materials. I prefer his furled monofilament leaders most of the time. He offers them in various lengths and weight ranges, and will also do custom lengths or tapers. I have no commercial interest in his operation, just an extremely satisfied customer.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:29 am • # 5 

DDB wrote:
I had a custom 1 wt 7'6" graphite made by Midwest Custom Flyrods. It is paired with a Battenkill I and a DT from Rio.

What tapered leader should I be looking for? Or is there a good rule of thumb in building one with Mazima? I also might try one of the braided leaders.

I can't figure how to post picts here. I can copy picts from the rod maker but only a jpg # shows and I can't make it deliver the actual picture.

DDB

Tying your own knotted tapered leaders is not at all difficult, and Maxima is a good material to work with because it is pretty limp and easy to straighten.

I have tied my own leaders for more years that I care to remember using the Ritz formula of 60-20-20. That is 60% butt, 20 % taper and 20% tippet, being that the butt should be 2/3 the diameter of the line tip. You can find that diameter exactly by using a micrometer. So let's see how to build a 100” leader.

Let's say that a 1-weight tapered line measures .021 at the tip, so 2/3 would be .014. Maxima makes .013 and .015. Let's start out with 60” of .013, then 10” of .10 (1X) , then 10” of .08 (3X), and tie on 20” of .06 (5X) for a tippet. Fish with it, remebering to straighten out the leader, especially the butt, by gently stretching it before casting. If it doesn't turn over well, which I doubt, recalculate using 0.15 for the butt section. Oh, and for attaching the sections to each other you can use a double surgeon's knot (easy to tie and quite strong) or a blood knot, which is more symmetrical.

Please let us know how it works out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:45 pm • # 6 

Many years ago, early in my flyfishing career, I decided to start tying up my own knotted leaders. I remember reading that the only drawback to this is that if algae is present the knots tend to gather it. Most of my fishing is done in warm water streams, although I did fish for trout quite a bit also. When I first started using knotted leaders, even in streams with quite a bit of algae, I rarely picked up much. However, after a couple of years, I could hardly use one without having to clean the algae off the knots after just a few casts. I don't know why I suddenly started having this problem when I wasn't before, but it was frustrating, so I just quit tying knotted leaders. I don't know the kind of waters you are fishing, may not be a problem. But I have been very happy with furled leaders, and one will usually last me a couple of years.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:00 am • # 7 

Hand furled leaders are easy to make up.
I found that with kitted leaders a little UV gel on the knot will avoid algae build up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:29 pm • # 8 

That wouldn't happen to be the brown trout themed rod, would it?

These are the leaders I tie. I'll use the bottom one if I'm tying longer than 9 ft. leaders. On my 1, I use 15# Seaguar fluorocarbon for my butt section, 12 for the mid and 10 for the tippet. I do use a 2wt line on that rod. Not sure if it makes a difference. Maxima is inexpensive, so experimenting won't be too painful!

Sorry the pic is so large.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:12 pm • # 9 

Strummer,

Yes that's the brown trout theme rod.

Thanks for the leader recipes.

DDB

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:53 pm • # 10 

DDB wrote:
DDB

How do you like that rod ? I was just looking at it , very pretty .

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply