It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:00 pm • # 1 

Wifey gave me a gift certificate for Christmas like 2 years ago, and saturday I finally broke down and picked out a my first really nice upper end (to me anyway) fly rod, bought a TFO professional series II, 7'6 length in 3wt, also picked up a TFO carry case for protection.

After getting home I dug out a new Okuma reel I had rat holed away, now I need new line, figured someone on here had some hands on with these rods and could offer some food for thought as to which line I need to get.

Set up will be used mostly for blue gill but if anything else wants to bite Im ok with that also , farm ponds, municipal lakes up to 100 acers and creeks, flies of all sorts and sizes and even poppers.

What say you ??

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:45 pm • # 2 

You chose a great rod....I have a pro 2... 3 weight 8'6''. Overlined mine to a 4 wt rio that I picked up from bass pro.....it just didnt load well with a 3weight line for me.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:58 pm • # 3 

If I can only develop my casting skills to justify the money spent Ill be happy, not Donald Trump money but just more than Id ever dropped for a rod, guess Ill have to adjust to a nice set up, geeze, lifes a drag,rite.

Come to think of it I think there might be a roll of lightly used 3wt rio in my rat hole, have to look and see, but was curious about over lining it, maybe later.

Have been chewing on some 444 peach, never heard anything bad about it, seems to be a gold standard of sorts.

thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:20 pm • # 4 

The 444 Peach is a good line, but it is pretty much true to line weight, and I think you might feel a little underlined. I am with Joe on a 4 weight line. There are also quite a few lines on the market that are described as being 1/2 line weight heavier. If you are going to go with a 3 weight line, I would look for one of those 1/2 weight heavier.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:01 am • # 5 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
The 444 Peach is a good line, but it is pretty much true to line weight, and I think you might feel a little underlined. I am with Joe on a 4 weight line. There are also quite a few lines on the market that are described as being 1/2 line weight heavier. If you are going to go with a 3 weight line, I would look for one of those 1/2 weight heavier.

Larry

I agree with Larry and Joe I am leaning towards heavier lines and even almost shooting heads, load the rod quicker with minimum back casting. Short casts on small streams are a cinch.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply