It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Eagle Claw.
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:38 am • # 1 

Just recieved a new Eagle Claw constructed glass 3 weight. I used a 3 weight line on it but felt it would do better by up lining. Went to a 5 then a 150 gr. Shoot head. Somehow I think this rod would perform with a much higher weight line. Anyone have any experience with this rod?

Post subject: Re: Eagle Claw.
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:49 pm • # 2 

Eric, I received one for fishing in the Small Mouth on the Roanoke, when I first moved to Virginia. I originally thru a TFO WF3F line on it. It was alright, but nothing spectacular. My wife needed a little UL rod so it went to her. I have since gotten rid of the 3wt line, and have it set up with my reel and line from my 8’ TFO Pro II 4wt. The reel is a SA Electron and the one is a Orvis Superfine WF4F. It helps a lot to upline it with a 4wt, but you are probably right on it being able to handle heavier line wts. Mine is a 6 1/2’ Featherlite 3/4 wt. If I can get to it this weekend I my throw my SA Boost 6wt on it and see how it does. Will let you know.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:40 am • # 3 

Mike thanks for the reply, I don't mind overlineing a rod, but if it is a three weight and have to go three weights higher it is not a three weight. This rod is not the Featherlight. It is refferred to as a constructed glass it is more like a cane pole, as observed in previous thread it feels like a club. I have decided to return it to BassPro. I think the CGR is a far more exciting rod if bought on sale.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:38 am • # 4 

Yes, the Eagle Claw Crafted Glass is significantly heavier than the Featherlight series. Even with the Featherlight, I find it casts better with a line rated heavier than recommended, but the Crafted Glass series, two line weights heavier would probably be more like it. Most rods, especially glass, will work with 2 or 3 line weights, but I have seen some that are seriously underrated. My friend Kurt bought a Cabela's CGT 6' 2 weight during the year Cabela's brought that series out to replace the original CGR. Anybody that could make that rod work with a 2 weight line had the fast twitch muscle response of a kung fu master. I didn't really feel it begin to wake up until we had a 4 weight line on it. And, as my friend Mike said, it made a really dandy short small stream bass rod with a 6 weight line.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:01 pm • # 5 

I returned the rod to Basspro and exchanged it for 4 weight White River Hobbs Creek rod that was on special for $10 more. Tested it out with a 150gr shooting head and Slickshooter running line. 60 foot casts with one back cast. Very nice rod which I consider to be nicer than the Three Forks equivalent.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply