It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:38 am • # 1 

I just started fly fishing in AZ last year and am a new member of the forum. I have a Redington CT 9' 4wt paired with a Lamson Konic 1.5 with 4wt line which I use on the Lower Salt River and mountain lakes. I was wanting a shorter rod for small streams at the Rim and White Mountains. I would like to try a glass rod and was considering the Butterstick and Echo small water glass. If I went with a 3wt rod would my Lamson reel pair up OK with 4wt line? If not, would I be better off dropping down to a 2wt rod and pick up a lighter reel to match up? (Birthday is a month away, so dad could treat himself to a new rod and reel if he could keep it in the $300 range - 2 daughters in college yikes!) I've also been seeing a lot of great reviews of the affordable Pascifun Sword, Reddington Zero and Echo Ion reels. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:14 pm • # 2 

As for the rods, there are quite a few 3 weight glass rods available at or under $200. The Butterstick which you mentioned, is usually around $250, though you may occasionally find one for less. I think I paid $215 for mine. At or under $200, just looking on Amazon I could find Fenwick Fenglass, TFO Finesse Glass, Echo, Moonshine Revival, and Moonlit Shadowcast. Under $100 there is Maxcatch, Riverruns or Aventik. The latter two are really the same rods, just under different labels. I would recommend the Rivverun or Aventik over the the Maxcatch. The Maxcatch is not a bad rod; I have one, but the tip is very soft and the mid and butt section is very stiff, giving it a very tippy action. And don't assume that the rods under $100 will not cast as well as the $200 rods. The primary difference is mostly in fit and finish. All of these rods will work with a 3 weight line, but you may find that many or most of them will work even better with your 4 weight line. For graphite, the CT is a relatively moderate action, but you will find there is a little bit of a learning curve when you first try glass. You will need to use a more relaxed slower casting motion, and you will find that the glass will actually do much of the work for you. You won't need to push it as hard as your CT. I moved over to glass about 11 years ago and rarely use my graphite rods any more. I find glass, especially ultralight glass to be less tiring to use.

Concerning reels, I have the Redington Zero with two extra spools, so I can switch from DT to WF line or switch from 2 weight to 3 weight. Some people think the Zero is too loud, but I have no problem with that. It is light and well made. On the Maxcatchfishing website you can find a small click and pawl reel for about $60 to $70 that appears to be an almost exact copy of the discontinued Redington Drift, which is a very nice and smooth light reel. Good luck with your quest.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:45 am • # 3 

Quote:
If I went with a 3wt rod would my Lamson reel pair up OK with 4wt line?

Yes. All my UL rods are uplined by one size.

Seems like everyone who owns the Cabela's glass rods like them. I've never touched one, so I have no opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:45 am • # 4 

Thanks for the input Larry and Strummer. I do have both a Cabellas and Basspro nearby, so I can check out their glass rods. I did find the Butterstick 2wt and 3wt with Handle A (all cork instead of wood and cork I guess) on Steep and Cheap for $199. Since already having the 4wt CT I'm wondering if I should just drop to a 2wt with a new reel so their will be a noticeable difference from the 4wt? But since not having a glass rod nor a shorter rod would the 3wt glass serve me best overall for starting out? And yes, I can see this becoming as addictive as my love of guitars, so in time I will probably have multiple rods at different weights. Thanks for the input on the Zero as well Larry (I was considering the Echo Ion as well in this price range), do you use that reel on 1,2, and 3twt rods depending on your line application? Thanks guys I appreciate it, 110 degrees yesterday and a cool down to 104 over the weekend, so may get out A.M. tomorrow at the Lower Salt River. Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:18 am • # 5 

That is an excellent price for the Butterstick. I have the 2 weight and it is a versatile rod. It will cast a 2 weight line, but loads a little better with a 3 weight. The best line I have found for it is the Barrio Small Stream line from Scotland. This is a weight forward line that I have found works well on a variety of rods. Some rods will cast almost any line of appropriate weight, while other rods are very finicky. I would think probably the Scientific Anglers Frequency Boost would probably work well also. I found the Butterstick 2 weight would cast smoothly and well with anything from a 2 weight up to and including a WF5. It is built from T-glass which is a Japanese version of S-glass, thus being a little faster action than an E-glass rod, offering light weight and plenty of backbone.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:54 pm • # 6 

Don't forget or overlook the Eagle Claw Crafted glass 7'6" 3 wt . I have one and it is a great glass rod especially for the money . I may be biased tho as my very first flyrod was an Eagle Claw .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:15 pm • # 7 

jangles wrote:
Don't forget or overlook the Eagle Claw Crafted glass 7'6" 3 wt . I have one and it is a great glass rod especially for the money . I may be biased tho as my very first flyrod was an Eagle Claw .

I have had both types of Eagle Claw because I wanted a Yellow rod, my very first fly rod was yellow and the only fly rod I ever built was a 3 weight yellow. I gave the Eagle Claw away and the Crafted one I returned as it felt like a club in my hand. The CGR is far, far better, especially If you can get it in the $40 range.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:05 am • # 8 

Has the price come down on the CGR rods over the past years? I see forum members talk about wanting for them to go on sale from $130 down to $60. Looks like normal price is $69.99 now. I think Ive made my decision on the rod, but the reel.....Redington Zero, Batenkill I or Echco Ion.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:46 pm • # 9 

For what is’s worth, in UL the reel is the least important element as most fish are stripped in. Having a quality reel can improve the perceived experience but it’s really just a luxury. Get what you can afford.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:53 am • # 10 

Update: I just received my 3 wt Echo Glass and can’t wait to take it out. I may put a vintage Martin 62 (small but hopefully not too heavy) on it to give it a go. I am thinking about just getting the small Lamson that comes with 2 extra spools as I can see the future need for switching lines. Or I could look for extra spools for the M 62 if it works out. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:10 pm • # 11 

I know quite a few people that really like that Echo 3 weight. The Martin will work, but it is definitely no more than a line holder. The Lamson Liquid 3 pack is a very good choice of a quality reel at a reasonable price, offering multiple line choices as needed. Another good choice would be the Piscifun Sword 3/4 weight reel, available on Amazon for about $50, with spare spools available, depending on color, from $23 to $27. I have seen a lot of good reviews on the Sword and know a few friends who are very happy with theirs. I hope you have had some weather cool enough to go fishing. Here in Oklahoma we are in about the same climate as you. We can occasionally go out early enough to fish, but have to be off the water by 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. or go fishing from 8:00 p.m. to dark.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:00 pm • # 12 

Yes it’s been on the warm side but we can always drive 2 hrs north and the temperature drops by 20 degrees. However the humidity has been wicked. 35% and afternoon monsoons. Remember we are spoiled with humidity normally around 8%. I have seen a lot of good reviews on the sword as well. I have an old Lamson that I love, larger though for smallmouth. Guess it comes down to what I want to spend. Getting closer to retirement so I may go the Lamson route as I know it will out last me!

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply