It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 26 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Higher End Equipment
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:29 pm • # 21 

My opinion on this one (you know what they say...they're like a***holes and everybody has one). Most of this pertains to Chinese equipment, since that is what I primarily use, and to somebody on a budget, which I am.

Paying more for a fly rod these days gets you two things, primarily: A better warranty, and better finish work (wrapping, etc). In terms of performance, I am not convinced that the difference between a good low-end rod and a good high-end rod is significant to most fisherman. There are definitely rods that are dogs at both ends of the price scale. There are so many good rods available between $60 and $150 that I just don't see the need to pay more.

Reels are a little bit different, in that there can be a significant difference in terms of performance and reliability between low-end and mid-priced reels. There is a point of diminishing returns, of course, and I think there is probably not much performance difference when you're paying above $150 or so, though again warranty and finish work are a factor there. I have a couple of very cheap (sub $40) reels and they all have one at least one issue. They're all fairly heavy, the CNC work isn't always clean, they often have play in the spool and the drags are unreliable and hard to adjust. They fish just fine, mind you -- but the issues are there. I also own a $110 direct-from-China reel which is at the "high end of cheap" and it is quite nice. Lightweight, good tolerances, and drag is very good. It also supposedly has a lifetime warranty though I have not had to test it out. It is much better than the cheaper reels. A more expensive marquis-brand reel might be a little better still, but not enough to matter to me.

Lines are a mixed bag. I mostly use the cheap $8 lines available on eBay. There is no other way I could affordably experiment with different fishing styles across a bunch of different line weights. They fish well if you keep them dressed and stretch them. They don't shoot quite as well as the high-end lines, and they last half as long before the coating cracks. So in this the more expensive lines are demonstrably "better". Does it matter? Not to me at that price. If they only last a season or I catch it in the boat prop, who cares!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:50 pm • # 22 

There are certain material things in life that bring a smile to your face when you just look at them, hold them, and admire the quality cosmetic finish on them. Using them brings further satisfaction. My Winston rod is one of those things.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:29 pm • # 23 

lka wrote:
SNIP
Lines are a mixed bag. I mostly use the cheap $8 lines available on eBay. There is no other way I could affordably experiment with different fishing styles across a bunch of different line weights. They fish well if you keep them dressed and stretch them. They don't shoot quite as well as the high-end lines, and they last half as long before the coating cracks. So in this the more expensive lines are demonstrably "better". Does it matter? Not to me at that price. If they only last a season or I catch it in the boat prop, who cares!

One of my lines is a Sci Anglers DT6F my father bought -- in 1972ish (I have the package and his notes!). He fished it a lot. I just end for ended it this year. I fished the snot out of it the past 2 years. It sat for close to 15 before that. 45 years-15 = 30 years vs 1 year there....(I know I know, this is all anecdotal ;-D

I have a $14 (list price) Cortland Fairplay line that fishes just fine. That's American made and $14 not on sale mind you. 2 seasons and going strong.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:00 am • # 24 

I too am new to the group, but would like to add that sometimes a high end price tag isn't always going to get you a high end or luxury rod and or reel. The most expensive rods I use are an Orvis 6 1/2' Bamboo 2/2 from the late 1960s, and a Fenwick FF605 6' 2pc. from 1971-72. The Orvis would be hard to beat no matter how much you spent and reminds me when the 1st graphite rods hit the shelves and how pricey they were compared to their overall quality, which seemed low in comparison to what I already owned, yet the prices were easily double what I had paid...I really love vintage gear and get as much enjoyment out of the gear as I do from the trout I catch with it. So I guess its all subjective.
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:10 am • # 25 

Camco wrote:
......I really love vintage gear and get as much [b]enjoyment[/b] out of the gear as I do from the trout I catch with it....Roger

...which is pretty much the point of the whole exercise, isn't it? Good for you. And welcome!.
brent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:46 am • # 26 

Thanks Brent !

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 26 posts ] New Topic Add Reply