It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Echo Carbon 7'3" 2WT
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:42 am • # 1 

I just finished reading the Fly Fish Ohio 2WT shootout, what a great article! Definitely the kind of info we need to make logical choices (wished I had read it sooner before a couple of other rods I've bought). After reading through the reviews (and checking my $$) I decided to order the Echo Carbon 732. Seems it does a great many things well for the $$. I liked the Greys rod as well but couldn't find anywhere that sold it local or online. I was also considering the Cabelas PT+ rod, looked really good for the $$, especially since they are on sale right now, but I prefer a little longer rod and the Echos high marks decided it for me. Just was wondering about the cheese grater effect on the fly line, only one person made the comment, just wondering how big of a problem it will really be? Would it be possible to take the part off and smotth the edges? Hopefully I'll have it here early next week and I'll get to try it out.....if there's any water left. Image
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:03 am • # 2 
Administrator

Steve, the rod is a real performer. I think I mentioned that the seat had sharp edges in my comment too. All you have to do is take a bit of sand paper to the edges and knock them off, it won't take much effort at all.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:07 am • # 3 
Administrator

Steve don't underestimate the 6'6" Cabelas PT+ - Although I nevwer fished one, I was very impressed by it when I wiggle it.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:18 am • # 4 

J- You're absolutely right, you did mention the sharp edges in your review. Just didn't know if you had a problem with it cutting into the fly line like the other reviewer mentioned. Glad to hear it's not a huge problem with an easy fix. Looking forward to trying it out. Starting to look for a good small reel now.

Les- Most my fishing is in pretty open areas. I find myself standing in the middle of the river that's 50' across in 3'-4' of water so the length of a rod isn't much an issue. I wanted to make sure that I could cast a good distance while still having a good feel for close in. Also I feel the longer rods are easier to balance reel/line wise than a shorter rod. Eventually I'd like to try out a PT+ as well.
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:30 am • # 5 
Administrator

Steve, I didn't have any issues with the seat, I was forewarned about it and kept the line away from it. I don't like the looks of the rod at all, I hate those windowed seats. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though.
The rod is a very smooth caster, has good short game and can reach out there when asked to. The rod probably would have scored much higher if it wasn't for that seat, thread, and epoxy work. It's just cosmetic things which in no way affect the performance of the rod. If they offered it as a blank, I'd be all over it.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:36 am • # 6 
Administrator

Forgot to mention reel balance. Don't go overboard. You'll need a lighter reel to balance properly. The Bass Pro Classic UL weighs 2.2 oz empty and was about perfect on the rod with backing and a 2wt line. A reel over 3oz will probably be too heavy.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:42 am • # 7 

I have a 7'6 3wt Echo "Classic".....the model that the Carbon replaced I think.

It might not be the best looking rod that I own - better than some but with a tiny bubble here and there in the wrap finish and so-so cork it's not the prettiest. I do like the nicely spaced singlefoot guides however, and the "fishability" of the rod has made it the FIRST rod that I reach for if I'm going to a creek or small pond - or if I plan to target pan fish. (By the way......there are a lot of guys on a rod building site that I frequent that love window seats, so like J. says, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.) http://www.americantackle.us/reelseatsfly.html

I'm hoping my almost completed Dorber 2wt will fish as well as my little Echo.....then I can dump my Cabela's "Traditional" 6'6 2wt.......and maybe a couple of other rods like a 9' 5wt that I never use anymore and other heavy rods that are collecting dust.

David

David

Last edited by armyflyfisher on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:42 am • # 8 

J- thanks for the advice. Funny thing is I was kind of liking the looks of the rod..go figure..LOL. I was thiniking of buying a Dennison reel off ebay. At only 2.4 oz it should match up well? I really like the $50 price tag. If that's not a good choice I can wait until I have more $$ for a better reel.
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:47 am • # 9 
Administrator

Steve, the Dennison will work, great little reels. They aren't for big fish though, small trout and panfish only. I plan on buying another one, and if you call Bob and order direct, you can also get spare spools for like $25.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:02 pm • # 10 

David- Thanks for the report. I know what you mean about not using some of the outfits. I have a couple 6-8 wts sitting in the closet. With the water level so low in the local rivers and not being able to make it to the coast anytime soon, UL's are the way to go for me. My friend still prefers his 5-6 wt outfits but when I'm constantly pulling out fish (however small) and he's not catching anything it reassures me I've made the right choice. I'm hoping to convert him soon.

J-Thanks...I think the Dennison will be my best bet. Never a bad idea ot have an extra spool.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:42 pm • # 11 
Administrator

Steve, I'll be excited to hear your feedback on the rod. I saw one at a local shop and thought it looked pretty darn cool. I imagine some steel wool might be the way to go to take the edges off the reel seat, or a dremel with a buffing wheel if you have one.

I hope the rod works out well for you!

Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:36 pm • # 12 

FWIW, I'd fish the rod as-is before I'd start to worry about the reel seat. Jeremy mentioned the edges and I looked it over, but unless you have a habit of getting the line wrapped around the reel seat (keep your hands together!) you probably won't see a problem with it. I'm in that minority that likes the look of that reel seat - in fact I may just fish it again tomorrow. It's a fine stick and worth every penny of the asking price.

Joe C.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:06 pm • # 13 
Administrator

I wouldn't mind fishing that rod again myself, it is a sweet stick.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:38 pm • # 14 

Joe-thanks for the advice. I do have a habit of getting my line around the foot of the reel on occasion. I notice it's particularly bad when I'm trying to hard to get more distance (not letting the rod do the work and overextending my stop points). I'll definitely work at keeping my hands together as well! For $169 shipped I am very happy! I have to admit it's the most expensive rod I have right now. I'm sure as the addiction grows that'll change.

J.- I ordered the Dennison reel late yesterday evening. I wound up buying it off fleabay (buy it now) for $49 + $2 shipping. Hopefully it'll arrive around the same time as the rod. My next step is to get some decent line. Would you recommend a 2 or 3 weight? WF or DT? My main use will be small streamers and top water poppers. As always thanks for your advice and input!
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:24 pm • # 15 
Administrator

Steve, the rod is a true 2wt, it will cast a 3wt just fine, but it likes a 2wt better. I used my Cortland Clear Creek WF2F on that rod, and it loved it.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:08 pm • # 16 

J- thanks for your input on the line. Any advice on the best place to buy it? (That has it is stock and ships quickly?) On that note-just got an email today from the vendor where I bought the Echo rod ....said "thanks for your purchase, your rod will ship out Monday"....which kind of sucks since I bought and paid for it Wed. Shipping it out 5 days later doesn't seem like good customer service. I have a reunion to attend next weekend on Lake Brownwood. I was hoping to have the outfit ready to go and at least a day to practice with it before I make a fool of myself in front of the family..oh well, I know where NOT to buy anything from again I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:38 pm • # 17 
Administrator

Cabelas has the Clear Creek. You might also like the Hook & Hackle branded lines. Still a subtle olive color, but easy to see on the water. The CC is dark olive and harder to see. The H&H lines are $30.00 and made by Cortland, compared to $50 something for the CC.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:50 pm • # 18 

I got the Dennison reel in yesterday, man that is one small little reel. Very well built though. I also ordered a H&H DT2F line for the new outfit. Is it feasable that I can cut the line in two and use half a line on the reel with a littloe 12lb backing?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:57 pm • # 19 
Administrator

SteveO wrote:
Is it feasable that I can cut the line in two and use half a line on the reel with a littloe 12lb backing?
Absolutely! There are a bunch of us that have spools and spools of the *other* half of the DT lines that we cut to fit on a reel Image Very economical solution too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:18 pm • # 20 
Administrator

Chances are good that the whole DT line won't fit on the Dennison. I can get the whole wf2 H&H on mine but it takes up less room that the DT will. As Jerry says, it's okay to cut it in half.

J.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ] New Topic Add Reply