It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:27 pm • # 1 

Hey folks,

Long time lurker who finally decided to make an account. As the subject line indicates, I picked up a TFO Finesse 1-wt (6’9”) this morning and was hoping some of the kind folks here could provide reel recommendations.

I currently have a Orvis Battenkill BBS 1 lined with 2-wt Orvis Superfine that I use on my old Orvis Silver Label full-flex 2-wt, but am curious to here what the pros have to say? Should I attempt to get away with overweight line on the 1-wt? Try to purchase a second spool and line it with 1-wt? Or are there any other reels you guys feel are worth looking into to pair with the Finesse?

As an aside, I’d advise any fans of the TFO Finesse series visit the sierra trading post website. The reason for this impulse buy is the fact they currently have a number of finesse models (1/2-wt, 1-wt, 2-wt, 3-wt, and 4-wt) on sale for $99.99 with free shipping.

And as I’d hate to have an introductory post without at least a few images, I’ve attached are a few pics from a visit to Colorado last weekend.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:55 pm • # 2 

I've been in the market for a 1wt and was really bummed that I could only find the 1/2wt on the trading post. It was simply too short for me. Was really stoked that Redington came out with a 1wt butterstick as well, but again, just a hair too short for me.
Thankfully, after looking at your post, I decided to search it on the trading post's website once more, and lo and behold, it popped up. I think it has to do with the categorization of the rods or something, but it didn't show up with the other fly rods. I was lucky enough to have nabbed the last one!

For this particular rig, I'm planning on using a floating MOW tip as a shooting head so that I can throw bluegill poppers and such. However, if I were to use a WF line, I'd probably go for a 2wt line. Assuming you're using this for tighter areas, a 2wt line will load a little easier up close. I did this with my 0wt RDP rod and it made casting in tight quarters much much easier.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:16 am • # 3 

I throw a 1wt wf line on my 1wt and it does an excellent job

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:42 am • # 4 

Kaiser, the floating Mow tip with 15lb Amnesia shooting line or Slickshooter shooting line. To avoid the knots of a loop in the shooting line I nail knotted the shooter to the head and applied UV Knot to smooth the knot. Enjoy your new toy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:49 am • # 5 

I use an Orvis Hyflote 1wt on my finesse 1wt. You could use a light 2 in some instances but it didn't work well for me for general purpose. The finesse is pretty accurate rated IMO unlike a lot of ultralights. A slightly overweighted 1wt might be a good option (which most are) but I don't like how the tip is so thick on most of those lines.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:34 pm • # 6 

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll give it a test run with the 2-wt line when it arrives and start researching 1-wt line options as well. Local Cabela's has a Redington Zero 2/3 in the bargain cave for $39.99. I held off on it this morning as I'm not a big fan of click drags, but will probably end up picking it up for the time being.

Kaiser - Glad you were able to snag the last 1-wt. Depending on my impressions of the 1-wt and availability, I may try to grab the one of the 3-wt or 4-wt models as well to fill the void between my old 2-wt and my heavier rods.

Thanks again guys. I'll be sure to post a report once I've had a chance to test it out.

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:05 pm • # 7 

Chris_in_Louisiana wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll give it a test run with the 2-wt line when it arrives and start researching 1-wt line options as well. Local Cabela's has a Redington Zero 2/3 in the bargain cave for $39.99. I held off on it this morning as I'm not a big fan of click drags, but will probably end up picking it up for the time being.

Kaiser - Glad you were able to snag the last 1-wt. Depending on my impressions of the 1-wt and availability, I may try to grab the one of the 3-wt or 4-wt models as well to fill the void between my old 2-wt and my heavier rods.

Thanks again guys. I'll be sure to post a report once I've had a chance to test it out.

Chris

A click n pawl will do just fine on the 1wt. At this weight class, you're going to be doing a strip retrieve 95% of the time, and if you're catching fish that are any bigger, you can just palm the reel. Very stoked on trying out the 1wt. Heard bad things about the half weight, but it seems like the 1wt was well received.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:19 pm • # 8 

If looking for a 1 weight line, I would recommend the Barrio Small Stream. Unfortunately they are out of stock on 1 weight at this time, but should be restocked soon. I use the 2 and 3 weight lines all the time and they have rapidly become among my favorite lines. Especially when you consider the price at about $38 at this time. Check out flylineshop.com.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:03 pm • # 9 

Thank you, Larry. I’ll keep an eye out for the Barrio Small Stream 1-wt and will definitely order some when it’s back in stock. Coupled with the deal on the rod and the Redington Zero from the bargain cave, it looks like I’ve managed a decent 1-wt setup for under $200.

Can’t wait to get it on the water.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:17 pm • # 10 

Kaiser wrote:
Assuming you're using this for tighter areas, a 2wt line will load a little easier up close. I did this with my 0wt RDP rod and it made casting in tight quarters much much easier.

You can be assured that that particular 0wt RDP is in good hands and gets a lot of use :) I use it with a WF1F most commonly but I have no doubt it would sling a 2wt up to about 30' fine without overloading.

On the reel subject I've also found you really don't need an ultralight reel for the "longer" UL rods (mine is 7'6"), especially if it has a downlocking reel seat -- I used to use one and it was nice, but when that one got wrecked in a boating incident I switched to a 5/6 reel that weighs about 140g and it balances the rod fine, plus is sturdier and has a nice arbor. I guess the point is don't overthink the reel thing, any trout-size reel in aluminum or composite should be fine for most light rods.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:52 pm • # 11 

lka wrote:
Kaiser wrote:
Assuming you're using this for tighter areas, a 2wt line will load a little easier up close. I did this with my 0wt RDP rod and it made casting in tight quarters much much easier.

You can be assured that that particular 0wt RDP is in good hands and gets a lot of use :) I use it with a WF1F most commonly but I have no doubt it would sling a 2wt up to about 30' fine without overloading.

On the reel subject I've also found you really don't need an ultralight reel for the "longer" UL rods (mine is 7'6"), especially if it has a downlocking reel seat -- I used to use one and it was nice, but when that one got wrecked in a boating incident I switched to a 5/6 reel that weighs about 140g and it balances the rod fine, plus is sturdier and has a nice arbor. I guess the point is don't overthink the reel thing, any trout-size reel in aluminum or composite should be fine for most light rods.

Hahah I'm glad you're enjoying it! I actually regret selling that rod now, really miss having a designated panfish rod for the summer. Hopefully the tfo 1wt will fill that niche.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:20 pm • # 12 

Received the rod this afternoon. Gave it a go with the BBS I and 2-wt line. Can accurately cast a small panfish popper about 30 ft with 2-wt (didn’t really try to push it past this). Looking forward to trying it out when my Barrio Small Stream 1-wt line arrives.

No fish this evening unfortunately. Some neighborhood pre-teens don’t seem to understand it’s in poor form to throw rocks where someone is fishing. Supposedly there’s blue gill, crappie, bass, and catfish right off my back yard though, so it should get a workout soon enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:52 am • # 13 

Received the rod this afternoon. Gave it a go with the BBS I and 2-wt line. Can accurately cast a small panfish popper about 30 ft with 2-wt (didn’t really try to push it past this). Looking forward to trying it out when my Barrio Small Stream 1-wt line arrives.

No fish this evening unfortunately. Some neighborhood pre-teens don’t seem to understand it’s in poor form to throw rocks where someone is fishing. Supposedly there’s blue gill, crappie, bass, and catfish right off my back yard though, so it should get a workout soon enough.

Nice! How’s the action?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:25 am • # 14 

Kaiser wrote:

Nice! How’s the action?

It's my first 1-wt, so "different" would be a good description for it. It's obviously not going to be a fast action rod, but it loads well and casting is a breeze as long as you don't force it. And it was capable of turning over small panfish poppers with ease. Once the 1-wt line arrives, I'll give it a go with a wider variety of flies and begin to really test it's limits.

If I'm too lazy to load my kayak up and chase reds this weekend, I may take the new rod down to New Orleans to chase rios. That'll be nice test.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:23 am • # 15 

What part of Louisiana you in?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:06 pm • # 16 

joe the plumber wrote:
What part of Louisiana you in?

Currently live in Sorrento and work in Baton Rouge.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:36 pm • # 17 

If you head north towards shreveport area bring the kayak and pm me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:05 am • # 18 

joe the plumber wrote:
If you head north towards shreveport area bring the kayak and pm me.

I don't make it that way too often, but will certainly take you up on it next time I do.

Thanks

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply