It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:09 pm • # 1 

Had some fun on my TFO Professional 2 weight with shooting head. caught five Blue Gill and three LMB they were all small but it was a quick run to a neighbor hood pond. The first was on top water then changed to a Squirmy San Juan worm. I tied up three the first two were destroyed. Nice looking and the fish attacked them but they are not very strong.

ImageImageImageImage

My Shooting head line cut from the front taper and belly of a 10 weight line (cheap Cabela's) calculated the weight to the Commando Head plus tip added the two together and this was the result 140gr belly with front taper. This is for my TFO 8'6" Professional. Fr my 2 weight CGR I lowered the head to 130gr. the shooting line is Slickshooter and it lets that head fly with a pick up and shoot. The CGR has 15lb Amnesia shooting line and it is very satisfactory in shooting it's head. I nail knotted and used UV epoxy on the knots so as to have a smooth transition. Since using these lines I find it hard to go back to conventional.
Image[/urlImage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:14 pm • # 2 

Cool. Nice catches and thanks for the details on how you made your shooting head, etc. Probably much less costly than the ready made alternatives. I’m sure that is what Ed Ward and the others did as they experimented and developed Skagit.

Regarding the squirmy wormies, in addition to being fragile, as you noted, it makes me crazy how that type of rubber melts if anything else nearby had super glue used on it, as is usually the case with flies. Same with Z-man TRD soft plastics. Too bad since they’re so productive.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:33 pm • # 3 

Thanks for the reply Knotty, the Squirmy was pierced onto the hook and superglued. The Blue Gills attacked it like crazy pulling on the worm. They pulled them off, on one it was the front the other the back. Guess I need a base on the hook and tie down as well, that material is squirmy and hard to tie effectively.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:15 pm • # 4 

Nice fish and pictures Eric.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:45 pm • # 5 

Sounds like a good outing!

I agree, definitely hard to go back to conventional flyfishing nowadays unless i'm dry fly fishing or nymphing. I've heard that you can nymph with these rigs, but I actually haven't really had a good experience with them as I find that my monoline doesn't mend well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:47 pm • # 6 

I would give anything to have a river readily available to fish in.
Agreed fishing currents could be problematic. Highsticking maybe best for you. I will stick to ponds. Micro Skagit hooked.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:57 pm • # 7 

I’ve been forcing myself to use my 7’6” 3 wt with an OPST setup to get more familiar with it. At first I just wanted to go back to a traditional setup but sticking with it is beginning to produce dividends. Mostly using a single back cast but even that has a learning curve. Also practicing Skagit techniques on the lawn. Getting better but have a long way to go. Knowing what is possible makes me want to learn and make this my go to method of fishing.

Keep posting linecaster so we can all learn together.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:58 pm • # 8 

Knotty it is so satisfying when the load is just right and the line sails out there. When I am on the edge of the pond facing left with the pond on the right I do the snap where the line lays down parallel to me and the edge of the pond, when I get the sweep right it is so joyous.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:04 pm • # 9 

linecaster wrote:
Knotty it is so satisfying when the load is just right and the line sails out there. When I am on the edge of the pond facing left with the pond on the right I do the snap where the line lays down parallel to me and the edge of the pond, when I get the sweep right it is so joyous.

Think that's one of the joys of fly fishing that other forms of fishing can't match, executing the perfect cast.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:20 pm • # 10 

Jimred said. Think that's one of the joys of fly fishing that other forms of fishing can't match, executing the perfect cast.[/quote]

You said it the cast is the primary joy. Fooling the fish is second. The fight of a Blue Gill third.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:17 pm • # 11 

linecaster wrote:

My Shooting head line cut from the front taper and belly of a 10 weight line (cheap Cabela's) calculated the weight to the Commando Head plus tip added the two together and this was the result 140gr belly with front taper. This is for my TFO 8'6" Professional. Fr my 2 weight CGR I lowered the head to 130gr. the shooting line is Slickshooter and it lets that head fly with a pick up and shoot. The CGR has 15lb Amnesia shooting line and it is very satisfactory in shooting it's head. I nail knotted and used UV epoxy on the knots so as to have a smooth transition. Since using these lines I find it hard to go back to conventional.
Image[/urlImage

This line you cut up , was that a wf , dt floating or sinking . I just talked to the people at OPST and no way can I afford that setup . TIA .
Ron

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:32 pm • # 12 

jangles wrote:
linecaster wrote:

Image[/urlImage

This line you cut up , was that a wf , dt floating or sinking . I just talked to the people at OPST and no way can I afford that setup . TIA .
Ron

It was from a 10 weight WF Floating from Cabelas. It was a combo , leader and backing.
As I will not be changing heads the head was nail knotted with the shooting line.
You could also use the belly, cut a length eg. 17 foot and cast and cut off small amounts until you are happy with the cast. I worked on the same ratio between OPST weight differentiation eg. The step down from the each weight with the 3 weight at 150, a 2 weight then with the taper 140 .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:38 pm • # 13 

Do you still need to buy a $50 Commando head ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:59 pm • # 14 

No that is my "Commando head" which includes the "tip" add flouro for sink etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:02 pm • # 15 

What about this ? Will this work ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxcatch-Perce ... 3703912929

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:52 pm • # 16 

jangles wrote:

You will need a 10 or 12 weight line to cut down to a 2 or 3 weight.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:30 pm • # 17 

You have a PM .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:29 pm • # 18 

Well I finally got my ww10 wf line today . First thing I did was weigh it and cut it . Its about 24 ft at 180 grns but I wanted it long and heavier so that when I go to the river next week I can fine tune it . I also got the amnesia and I put 100 ft of it on the reel then the 24 or so feet of the front of the new line . When shooting the line is it already stripped out of the reel or does it feed from the reel wen one casts ? I assume I can just use a long mono or fluro leader on the tip ? TIA .
Ron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:29 pm • # 19 

Ron, strip out the shooting head and about 40 - 50 feet of Amnesia running line. Have about 6-8 inches of Amnesia out the tip of the rod. With the shooting head laid out in front of you pickup and shoot, hold your rod at the 10 o'clock position until the line has shot out and stopped by the reel then lower the rod to the 8-9 o'clock position. I hope this helps.
JimRed and I fished together this morning both of us using shooting heads. I had a 150gr 10 foot head with Amnesia running line on my TFO 2 weight 8' Professional. Using a snap T casting out 50-60 feet of line was a breeze. We both caught Blue Gill crappie and lmb.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:17 pm • # 20 

Thank you , very helpful .

What makes the lines/rods weight specific . It seems to me that if using running line like amnesia , the 150 gn head would cast out of any weight rod . It would make more sense to me that the rod action dictate the gn wt instead ? Just curious . Also what can I do with the rest of that 10wt line I cut up ? Thx .
Ron

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ] New Topic Add Reply