It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:37 am • # 1 

I got my TFO finesse 1wt in the mail a few weeks ago. Leading up to the delivery, I was a little antsy about how it would perform I heard mixed reviews about the finesse series. Paired with a little click n pawl I got from MaxCatch, it balanced beautifully. I slapped on a Rio 10ft 9wt floating tip at 95 grains, and paired it with a Airflo 5' floating clear polyleader at 25 grains, as I planned to throw slightly bigger flies such as wooly buggers, poppers, and leeches.

My first impression of it wasn't great- I had been using a 8'6" 3wt Redington CT micro skagit setup and in comparison the rod just felt like it didn't have enough backbone to get the rig out there- even my 0wt 7'6" RDP fly rod had more balls than this rod, I'm surprised at how many people felt like this would make for a better 2wt.

I also had some major frustrations regarding the single foot guides, as my connections would get stuck all the time. The point of this rod was not to only fish smaller waters, but to fish closer distances, meaning that the loop to loop connections would be sliding in and out of the single foot guides all of the time. Because I was fishing such short distances, fishing was almost unbearable as my connections would frequently get caught in my guides. However, I ended up addressing this problem with a dab of UV knot sense.

I found that there were some factors that really amp'd up this rod's performance. Initially, I using OPST's 30lb test lazer line, but the line was old and had a bunch of abrasions from my leader straightener. I changed the running line to Stren's catfish mono in 20lb test, which led to better handling and shooting due to the smoother surface and larger diameter.

After these tweaks and some time with the rod, I found that I could shoot quite far, even with wind! I've been able to throw out lightly weighted buggers 45-55 feet out which really does change the game for me. Between the adjustments in the rig and having had more time to fish this rig, I'm actually really pleased with this purchase! It really does excel in tighter areas, and I very much prefer using it over my 8'6" CT unless I need to throw some meat or weight for bass.

Last edited by Kaiser on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:47 am • # 2 

I have the same rod...super sweet for short-ish casts. But,,, it has broken on me twice....once was my fault with a stuck ferrule...got a replacement tip for $35 or so from tfo...and afterwards it would come loose from bottom section while casting.....broke again during midcast .......havent invested another $35. I was thinking I might try the maxcatch for a few bucks more and get a complete new rod.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:54 pm • # 3 

joe the plumber wrote:
I have the same rod...super sweet for short-ish casts. But,,, it has broken on me twice....once was my fault with a stuck ferrule...got a replacement tip for $35 or so from tfo...and afterwards it would come loose from bottom section while casting.....broke again during midcast .......havent invested another $35. I was thinking I might try the maxcatch for a few bucks more and get a complete new rod.

Interesting, the loose bottom section sounds like a manufacturing defect to me. I probably would've given them a call regarding it as it doesn't seem like it was your doing.
Haven't had any experience with the maxcatches, but they seem to be pretty popular! Love their clicker reel. Have you had experience with them?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:24 pm • # 4 

I have recommended that reel to quite a few people. Except for the Phillips screws in the back plate, it appears identical to the Redington Drift reel that was recently discontinued. I have a couple of the Redingtons, and they are very nice click and pawl reels.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:00 pm • # 5 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
I have recommended that reel to quite a few people. Except for the Phillips screws in the back plate, it appears identical to the Redington Drift reel that was recently discontinued. I have a couple of the Redingtons, and they are very nice click and pawl reels.

Larry

The maxcatch is great, my only gripe is that the release tab on the spool isn't smoothed out, making it look rather unsightly. Aside from that, it's made for a great daily driver.

Yeah, I love my Redington Zero despite the mixed reviews. The large arbor and light weight make it the perfect reel for micro spey. I also LOVE how the drag is loose enough to where I can spin the spool for a fast retrieve. I've yet to find a click and pawl that does that.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply