It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:51 pm • # 1 

Attractively light reel at attractive price. Bought one in June. Loved it, at first. But after 20 or so sessions of about three hours average each the reel began to jam. The jam was always correctable by back cranking a few degrees. It got worse and worse. Exam showed worn cog wheel teeth. The cog wheel is plastic while the pawl is metal. Called Redington Warranty Repair and they just said send it in, no agreement or disagreement with my suggestion that there was no way to expect a plastic cog wheel to stand up long to a metal pawl, that there should be a hard metal cog wheel. I had to pay for shipping. A couple weeks later a lady rep called me to say that with my permission they would send back a new reel. I expect it to arrive any day. There was no alternative offered and no explanation regarding findings or conclusions.

My conclusion: lovely reel if you are not going to use it much; too bad it doesn't have a hard cog wheel.

Last edited by johnlau on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Redington Zero
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:50 am • # 2 

Oh wow. I would have expected better from that reel although I have a behemoth and I'm not very happy with it.

The tolerances are not good enough and my line tends to get jammed between the spool and the the non moving part of the reel.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Redington Zero
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:19 pm • # 3 

Sorry for your hassle with the reel. I ordered one that I returned after receiving and examining it. I had the same concern regarding the metal/plastic interface and it just felt fragile to me. I ended up with an Orvis Battenkill that seems to have better tolerances and hasn't given me any trouble in the year+ I've had it. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:27 pm • # 4 

Interesting that your pawl is metal... mine is plastic.
I've had the Zero in 4/5, and it's held up great. My only initial issue with it was that the drag was too loose, causing the spool to overrun every time I pulled line out too aggressively.
To solve this, I actually took the spring mechanism and bent it more inwards. That ended up tightening the drag by a good amount, and the reel works great now- it's featherlight and has a HUGE arbor, which is important for my shooting head rigs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:10 pm • # 5 

Plastic pawl? Redington sent me a new 2/3 reel that arrived last week. It seems like it should be as new a version as they have. Like my previous one it has an anodized red pawl, I'm guessing because of the anodizing it is aluminum. If they wanted to make a softer pawl, perhaps to wear out sooner than the plastic cog, I guess they could use a pawl of some sort of plastic. So, what color is your pawl? If not black it's not .......

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:18 pm • # 6 

johnlau wrote:
Plastic pawl? Redington sent me a new 2/3 reel that arrived last week. It seems like it should be as new a version as they have. Like my previous one it has an anodized red pawl, I'm guessing because of the anodizing it is aluminum. If they wanted to make a softer pawl, perhaps to wear out sooner than the plastic cog, I guess they could use a pawl of some sort of plastic. So, what color is your pawl? If not black it's not .......

It's black, and most definitely plastic. I'm assuming they changed the design so that both of the surfaces in contact [the cog and pawl] would be of equal hardness to ensure that one wouldn't wear out the other.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:39 am • # 7 

I hope a plastic pawl solves the too-quick wear out of the clicker mechanism, because otherwise I think the reel is a lightweight, not expensive, honey.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:25 pm • # 8 

I've been using the 4/5 for at least a year and a half now. Guessing roughly at least a hundred and twenty hours on it with no issues what so ever. I have also been using the 2/3 for six or eight months with maybe forty hours on it, also no issues.
I tend to take them apart de-grease and re-grease every other usage, as simple as they are it's too easy and quick not to do.
Having said that my battenkill is nicer fit and finish. And pretty much when I'm fishing I don't really notice the difference between any of them, guess my focus is more on keeping the line wet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:28 pm • # 9 

I've seen a couple Zeros float up on your favorite auction site with burned out pawls, so you aren't the only one who has had issues.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply