It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:47 am • # 1 

Hi All
Just acquired the above rod in readiness for next years trout season which is next April here in the UK. I have to say what a piece of kit, reminds me very much of the old 7’ 6” 1wt I snapped a few years ago.
Having read a few posts on here and elsewhere re which line weight suits it best I’ve just completed a little experiment in my back garden. I think I read on here that 24’ of 3wt line ways the same as 30’ of 2wt line so I expected the 3wt to perform better considering 95% of the time I’ll have 8 to 15 ft of line in the air.
I tried the 3wt first and was very pleased with the rods performance so much so that I nearly never tried the 2wt, was I glad I did, from 6’ to 15’ of line out the rod casts beautifully dropping that fly so gently I was amazed.
By the way both lines were Cortland Sylk DT.
Chuffed to bits,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:16 pm • # 2 

Nice, like to see some pictures of the rod and your fishing in the UK. I also cut lines but at 21 feet and then I tie 15lb Amnesia to the end to use as a running line. Get some easy casts that way. I fish at weight or sometimes go up as you did, depending on how I want to fish. If I go up 3-4 line wts, I can get some nice active roll casts.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:33 am • # 3 

I’ve just found a post actually with a photo of the identical rod to mine and what seems like the identical problem. After reading the post this morning I thought I’d check my rod. The issue is this, the male ferrule is 35mm long but only fits into the female 21mm leaving 14mm of male sanded section showing. I wondered if any of the Orvis experts on the forum know if this is a common problem.
The answer on the previous post was to get a tiny file and take a tiny bit of material off the inside of the female ferrule, to say I’m nervous of taking a file to my new rod would be a bit of an understatement.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:52 am • # 4 

Hi Jim

I’ll try and figure out how to upload photos, it’s certainly not straight forward like the fly fishing forum in the UK. Although I am a bit of a technophobe.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:44 am • # 5 

Whalebone wrote:
I’ve just found a post actually with a photo of the identical rod to mine and what seems like the identical problem. After reading the post this morning I thought I’d check my rod. The issue is this, the male ferrule is 35mm long but only fits into the female 21mm leaving 14mm of male sanded section showing. I wondered if any of the Orvis experts on the forum know if this is a common problem.
The answer on the previous post was to get a tiny file and take a tiny bit of material off the inside of the female ferrule, to say I’m nervous of taking a file to my new rod would be a bit of an understatement.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Chris

Seems in recalling information from Orvis that ferrules are designed to wear a bit of material off over the years from being put together & taken apart, so no modifications are necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:23 pm • # 6 

Hi Salty

Yeah that’s my guess as well. Just wanted to be sure as there’s no rush as the rod won’t be getting used until the spring. Especially as all that’s been said on here about this rod seems to be true from my back garden tests it was just so easy.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:16 pm • # 7 

A guy I know has that same rod . His is junk , tip has broken 2 times now . Also it weighs more than an ounce , have you weighed yours ? I'd send it back .

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply