It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:25 am • # 1 

First, I want to thank the creators/administrators of this forum for creating a "clearing house" for information on UL fly fishing. I'm relatively new to fly fishing and have a particular interest in UL(former UL spin fisher). My favorite rods currently are a Cabela's Threeforks 3wt 7.5' (caught my largest trout by fly on it), an older Orvis 6'6" 2wt, and a fiberglass Riffle 7' 3/4wt.

One of the hardest things for me to find out is the "action/feel" of vintage rods which is my main interest. There are many wonderful UL rods that come up for sale, but without having a good idea on the action I'm reluctant to pursue.

My interest is primarily in vintage U.S. made rods by or for: Orvis, Winston, Loomis, T&T, Sage, Phillipson, Scott, Diamondbacks, LL Bean, and any others you might suggest.

1). Is there any central source to find reviews/comparisons of this genre of rod?

2). Any dealers that you would recommend (i.e., fair and honest)?

3). Any books you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your help/advice/suggestions,

PAGH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:21 pm • # 2 

1) A central source for information on action/feel of vintage rods: fiberglassflyrodders.com
2) Any recommended dealers: classicflyfishers.com
fishingcollectables.com
classicflyfisherman.com
vintageflytackle.com
grauersfineflytackle.com
3) Recommended books: Fiberglass Fly Rods by Victor R. Johnson & Victor R. Johnson, Jr. (out of print, but may still be able to find copies)

Hope you find this useful.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:45 pm • # 3 

Larry,

Thank you so much for your help! I will check the sources you suggest.
Kind Regards,
PAGH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:21 pm • # 4 

I would hardly call my Threeforks 7'6" 3wt vintage . I've only had it 35-40 years ! Welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:24 pm • # 5 

Among vintage rods, at least prior to 1970, there were very few rods that could be classified as UL. It would have been rare to find a rod classified as a 4 weight. I have a Horrocks-Ibbotson Model 1200 Queen Elizabeth, made in 1953, that will cast a 3 weight line, but was probably intended as a 5 weight. It was considered a UL rod for its day. A friend has a St. Croix Imperial 5 weight that will also cast a 3 weight line. Until about 1970, most rods were in the 5-6 weight range and up.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:30 pm • # 6 

Larry, you’re basically right about that, but I would put the date as 1980. Throughout the 70s, most manufacturers were still making fiberglass rods, then gave up on them around 1980 and went to carbon fiber. Where I lived, in trout country, it was easy to find a 5-weight rod or line, but very hard to find a 4-weight. So even if a manufacturer made a rod that would take anything lighter than a 4-weight, why would they label it as such? It would be easier to sell if it was rated as a 5-weight. An interesting case in point is the Fenwick FF 535, which is said to be good as a 3-weight, but it was sold as a 5-weight.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:48 pm • # 7 

Pete , 1980 isn't right . I bought my Cabelas 3wt ThreeForks in 76 or 77 .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:02 pm • # 8 

jangles wrote:
I would hardly call my Threeforks 7'6" 3wt vintage . I've only had it 35-40 years ! Welcome.

Dang Whipper–Snappers don't show no respect … ;)

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply