It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: A new 1 wt
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:53 am • # 1 

The river behind my house has 3 feet of ice on it, fishing season is more than 2 months away and a snow storm is in the forecast. Pretty depressing but there was a light at the end of that dark tunnel I was looking through.

It came in the form of a package from Maxcatch; a 1 weight and the matching Avid reel, the result of a bit of “ retail therapy” I engaged in a few weeks ago on a bitterly cold, housebound day. I’d remembered that roblepl had raved about the reel and that he and several others liked their 1 wt.

At first glance the rod looks great and the reel even better. The drag feels smooth and the build quality at that price point is outstanding. Im going to do the common cents routine on the rod to compare to to my 2 wt rods. Hopefully it will work out to be a true 1 wt.

Can hardly wait for the real testing to begin when the water softens up again.

Harry

Post subject: Re: A new 1 wt
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:08 am • # 2 

Its an addiction . Be forewarned . :lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:20 pm • # 3 

There we go with more nonsense about rod addiction. Why just the other day I was able to resist the purchase of an experimental set of Steffen glass rods, in which the set included 3 grips and butt sections that could be used with the mid and tip sections to create 3 different 2/3 and 3/4 weight rods. That proved I was not addicted, for I lust after Steffen rods. I was so proud of myself for my forbearance that I immediately ordered a 6' 2/3 weight Hardy Sirrus Sintrix rod as a reward to myself. I will use that rod with a proud heart, reveling in my independence from rod addiction.

Larry :hat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:55 am • # 4 

Addiction?

Prudence and preparedness should never be confused with an affliction of any kind. My 3 - 2 wts and 2 - 3 wts are the minimum number of rods necessary to ensure a satisfactory day on the water. And my wife would certainly agree if she knew.

I agree that Steffens are a wonderful rod and I’m not sure why I only own two.

Harry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:03 am • # 5 

What makes Stephen rods so great ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:00 am • # 6 

Among those of us who love glass rods Mark Steffen is considered one of the best rod designers and fabricators around. He designs all his own tapers and rolls his own blanks. He also turns out finished rods, but a lot of custom builders and home builders buy his blanks to build on. He has a small shop in Arizona where he and his brother Tim produce these masterpieces of angling art. He also built graphite blanks and rods for a few years, but as fiberglass became more popular he dropped his graphite line. One of my most prized possessions is my Steffen 8' 3/4 weight rod built by Graywolf. If you get a chance to cast one or fish with one, you will no longer ask why they are so great.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:53 am • # 7 

I also have two of the greatest casting fiberglass rods I have had the pleasure of casting and they were both built by me . I suppose their may be others that cast as well but I haven't used them . Hell , I haven't used 5 of the 30+ rods I built since taking that hobby up less than a year ago !

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply