It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Helpwith leader choice.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:45 pm • # 1 

I have been gifted an Orvis 1 wt. I need advise on brand and type of leader to use. I am currently planning on using a 2 wt line and hoping not to overload the rod. I suspect that a 7 1/2 ft leader will be easier to turn over but need some help. While there are only a few manufacturers of leader, are there differences between retail brands? Any help will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:07 pm • # 2 

I build my own. For my one and two, I use 5 feet of seaguar 15lb for the butt section. 2.5 feet of 12lb seaguar attached with a blood knot, and then I loop to loop 1.5 ft of 10lb tippet.

Maxima also works well.

If I want a longer leader, I use the bottom formula...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:06 pm • # 3 

Over the last 30 years I have gone back and forth on leader types. For a few years I tied my own custom leaders, then decided it was easier to just purchase tapered mono leaders. About 10 years ago I switched over wholeheartedly to furled leaders. I have tried several brands, but for my purposes I found Streamside Leaders to have the best combination of leader types and materials, quality, and cost. They are available in different thread types, monofiliament, and even Spectra. They have some new Nanofil leaders that I have some problems with. Mike makes them available in different weights and lengths. For your puposes he has leaders for 0-2 weight lines or 2-4 weight lines. I use a lot of the 2-4 weight leaders. I prefer the leaders with a tippet ring, because I have had problems with Shorb loops becoming twisted, making it difficult to attach a tippet. The leader will last a long time, with only the tippet needing to be replaced.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:49 am • # 4 

Strummer and Canoeman, thanx muchly for your replies. Because of the low level of activity on this forum, I didn't expect such great responses. I plan to give both recommendations a try.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:08 am • # 5 

I hand twist/furle my leaders you can use any size mono/flouro you want and make it as long or short as you want . As stated by Canoeman a tippet ring in the bottom loop is highly recommended to avoid the frustration of the loop closing. Add your tippet to it.
If caught out on the pond without a leader a knotted leader can be quickly made up or as Clff does, just a straight mono of 15 or 10 lb for warm water fishing.

Last edited by linecaster on Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:17 am • # 6 
Administrator

dfl, what are your fishing scenarios?
I'm in the infant stages of working out a leader formula for a 2wt for fishing small pocket water for smaller trout. But if you're making longer cast with larger flies our leaders will be totally different.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:39 pm • # 7 

Thanx alot Linecaster. I need all the help I can get.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:21 pm • # 8 

Like Linecaster, I twist my leaders with various mono or fluoro lines. For U/L fishing my go to leader is built up with 2X line (8 lb or .009”) to a length of 6’. Then I add whatever tippet I need. To learn how to twist leaders just a Google the term.

Harry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:32 pm • # 9 

Thanx free2fish. I'll do th google.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:35 pm • # 10 

Thanx free2fish. I'll do th google.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:44 pm • # 11 

Should have added, to get a 6 foot leader start with about 20’ of mono or fluoro.

Harry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:51 pm • # 12 

CBarclay, I fish lakes in WA. Fish run from 8" to 16". I never had trouble trouble landing bigger fish on my 1 wt because of a fighting technique I learned from Lefty Kreh. The bigger the fish the less bend I put in the rod. I landed a 6 lb. lake trout on my old 1 wt. It was an Elkhorn and only broke when I hooked Canada while trolling a bugger. Yes There is a video of it somewhere. But back to your point, if I can cast 15 to 20 feet 0f line plus 7 1/2' to 8' of leader that is all I need. One thing that I've found surprising, being a trout fisher, is the heavy butts used on leaders for light lines. I'll have to do some experimenting.

Tight lines

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply