It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Reel Recommendation
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:03 pm • # 1 

Good evening all.. I am new to to group but far from new to fly fishing. Thanks for the add. I have fly fished for 20+ years and have just recently gotten interested in ultralight. but.. I do have a Winston 3wt which it sounds like it counts as being in the ultralight category. I am heading out to fly fish some tiny streams with little brown trout and getting a 0 wt or Ought fly rod. My question is what are some suggestions from everyone on reels to pair up and also what line would you suggest as well? I know at that weight the reel obviously doesnt really need a drag system and mostly will be palmed but still curious what everyone uses or would suggest as this is very new to me going to a 0.. Thanks in advance and have a great evening.

Post subject: Re: Reel Recommendation
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:00 am • # 2 

Some good UL reels for the rod you describe would be the TFO BVK 0 or the Galvan Brookie. Both of these reels are rated for 0 weight lines. However, though these rods may be rated at 0 weight, the lines that are available at that rating actually fall into the 1 weight range, and most people use a 1 weight line to get the rod to load properly. Another reel that I enjoy that is lighter than either of the previous two is the Wychwood River & Stream. This reel is rated for 2/3 weight lines, but is the lightest reel I have found. A good, and inexpensive, choice in lines is the Barrio Small Stream line that can be had in 1 weight.

Larry

Post subject: Re: Reel Recommendation
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:42 am • # 3 

Thanks Larry.. appreciate the insight. My local fly shop carries TFO so that’s the one I’ll go with to keep things with the local guy. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply