It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:33 am • # 1 

Somewhere back in time I read an article on creating a shooting head for deep fishing with light lines. A search for the article came up empty so i will ask here. Has anyone put a 20-30 foot sinking head on running line so they were able to fish the lighter rods with a sinking set up similar to the teeny lines? I have a teeny 130(I think thats the number) which I can cast on a four weight, but nothing for my 1,2, and 3 weights. This guy who wrote the article mentioned built 26 foot sinking heads from 5 weight sinking lines by attaching them to regular floating running line. He claimed he was able to make 50-60 foot casts with his 3 weight and fish deep water. Anyone done this? What to you do?-p-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:57 am • # 2 

The Teeny BS100 can be used on a 3wt without much problem.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:59 am • # 3 

yeah, but not on a 2 or a 1-p-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:45 am • # 4 

True...hmm. I have no idea...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:00 pm • # 5 

You could build one P, but I think the problem is one of water resistance. You can design a sinking one weight, but it would overload the rod when you attempted to lift it out of the water. A short sink tip is the better route. You can also try vertical nymphing. John Quigley furls some short line/leader connectors (12"?) to provide a strike indicator. Intended to have a leader attached on the free end, but you can loop a tippet 90 degreesy to the indicator and fish the fly vertically. Gets you down 5-6 feet anyway. Don

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:46 pm • # 6 

Don; good points to ponder; and I would not have thought about the overload . Thats why youre the "ZENKOANHEAD"!!!!!-P-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:19 pm • # 7 

I made a 5 Wt, 5' sink tip for a 3 Wt. Got the igea from a Dave Whitlock piece. If I remember correctly the finished head was 27'. I used 50# Power Pro for the running line. You could easily shoot the thing 60' or more! For ease of handling, I'd recommend a " real" running line rather than the Power Pro, however. I used this set-up a few times but 99% of the time I use a DT floater.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:39 am • # 8 

I think they hit it on the head about trying to pickup a sinking line or head with an ultra light. Last couple of years Ive been using my good old Orvis Wonderline DT Floating 1 & 2wts, attaching a four or five foot sinking furrled leader and then a 2-2 1/2ft 2# tippet, thats my chosen setup for sight casting close in to lurking trout. I put the fly a yard or two upstream, let it sink and drift in along the bottom right to the fishes noise. Works pretty good too. I've been using some of the Furrled leaders that flygoddess over on the fiberglass fly rods forum makes. Right now Ive got her leaders in floating and sinking from 1wt all the way up to 8wt setups, I really like them. I use the same setup style on my 3wt wulff when I want to work small flys along the bottom or small streamers. The areas Im fishing in winter are generally less than 5 ft deep so Im not trying to get deeper. Also alot of the trout hang out in little pockets near the banks where the water is 3-4ft deep and a little warmer due to warm water springs nearby.
To be honest I cant remember ever casting my 1 or 2wt rods more than perhaps 30 or 35 feet, distance has never been needed the way Im fishing them. On the other hand Ive used the 3wt casting across the river at some wider spots to 40 to 50ft, that little Wulff TT is great for that.
Try some of Joni's sinking furrled leaders Pearow, they are a real eye opener for an ultra light when you want a sinking tip.
Richard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:32 am • # 9 

Thanks Richard, I had not thought of that! Sinking furled leaders are a god send!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:25 am • # 10 

Well the 5ft ones Im using now are working great, and Ive messaged flygoddess and shes going to make up some samples of slightly heavier per foot, 4 foot (Id like the shorter 4ft sinking leader to weigh the same as the current 5ft one) furrled tapered leaders for me to try, so I will post a report here, most likely some time in early January. Im really looking forward to the shorty, my little Orvis 1wt 1 once is short and light and I use it alot for tight places along the rivers edge where theirs not alot of room or casting distances involved. I might as well be dangling a worm alot of times.
Richard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:08 am • # 11 

Sinking furled leaders. Just the ticket. Details Golden? I had thought to have a sinker built but could not come up with a thread heavy and flexible enough. Don

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:06 pm • # 12 

Hi Don, well I think shes using Kevlar thread for the weight properties. Ive been using leaders both floating and sinking for all my rods. Think my last order to her was about a dozen leaders. So far Im greatly impressed by the flexability and lack of memory. The ones I asked her to make a couple of months ago were for my ultra lights, although I had more in mind their use on my 2 and 3wt rods, both are alot longer than my little 1wt one ounce Orvis. However I was much impressed with the 5ft furrled tapered sinking leader with a 2# 2 1/2ft tippet. The water Im fishing generally in winter is pretty slow moving and depth runs 3-5ft so that little bit of weght gets the nymph or midge etc right in front of the trouts nose as it tumbles along the bottom. Ive an idea a four foot of the same weight as the 5ft would work even better with a 2ft tippet. If that works out Im gonna see if she will build a 3ft that weighs the same so I can couple it with an even shorter tippet. Im using an Orvis 1wt wonderline DT floating and the pickup is effortless using just the sinking leader to get my fly down to the fish. For short range roll casting to specific targets its a deadly combination.
Richard

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply