It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Fly rod/reel collection
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:04 pm • # 1 

Hello everyone,

I am a new forum member, and I am excited to be be a part of this community.

My father recently passed away (within the past 2 months), and I have inherited what I believe to be a large fly fishing collection. My father was 91 when he passed away, and had been fly fishing the various branches of the Ausable River in northern Michigan since the 1950’s. Unfortunately, as far as the fly fishing goes, the apple fell a little far from the tree. Thus, I have little knowledge of the values of these items. As I am unable to list the items for sale here in the classifieds forum, I was looking for some guidance before I list a description of the rods and reels in my first post. If everyone agrees that it would be appropriate to list the items (rods/reels) here to get advice on their values, then I will be glad to do that in a subsequent post.

Thank you for your consideration

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:21 am • # 2 

Sorry to hear of the loss of your father...may his memory always be a blessing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:37 am • # 3 

MSU Yooper wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am a new forum member, and I am excited to be be a part of this community.

Remarkable way to feel about it all considering the "apple fell a little far from the tree" according to your own description as it relates to flyfishing. Condolences to you on your Pop's demise, probably ought to try Ebay or similar for unloading the inherited items.

There are other forums out there for appraisals, give 'em a shot and don't be disappointed if what you have doesn't fetch the fortune of your dreams. Most old tackle doesn't.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:59 pm • # 4 

As this forum is devoted to ultralight flyfishing, with rods of 3 weight or lighter, it is highly unlikely that any of your father's rods or reels would fall into that category. If his collection included bamboo rods, you might check out the Classic Fly Rod Forum. If rods of are of fiberglass construction, you could check with Fiberglass Flyrodders forum. For graphite or boron rods, you might check with North American Flyfishing forum. If you live near a fly shop, you might check with the people there to see if they might be of some help.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:46 pm • # 5 

Sorry about your Dad.
Fly fishing must be popular in MIchigan and there would be fly fishing clubs in your area I would think. You might check with a local fly fishing club and I bet someone from there would be delighted to evaluate your Dad's equipment and suggest what you might do with it.
If you decide to pursue getting information from the forum, pictures and a description of the equipment would be helpful. Even if the equipment is not terribly valuable, there are people who delight in fishing/collecting vintage fly equipment and getting the equipment in the hands of someone who would appreciate their heritage would be a tribute to your father.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:19 am • # 6 

Thank you for all of the positive responses and condolences. Per the last suggestion I am including a description of the rods and reels.

Rods:

Sage B476GFL, 7'6", 2 piece, case and bag included, gently used cond.

Sage 590GFL, 9', 3.25 oz., #5 line, 2 piece, case and bag, gently used cond.

Sage B580GFL, 8', 2 piece, case and bag, gently used cond.

Sage GFL476, 7'6", 2 and 3/8 oz., case and bag, gently used cond.

Sage, 7'9", 2 piece, end cap is loose, case and bag, gently used cond, except for end cap needing gluing.

Orvis FLEA, 6 1/2', 1 3/8 oz., #4 line, manufactured 08/1977, case and bag, gently used cond.

Orvis Otter, 7', 2 oz., #5 line, manufactured 02/1979, case and bag, gently used cond.

Diamondback Diamondfly, 8'6", #5 line, 2 piece, case and bag, gently used cond.

St. Croix Legend Series, 8', case and bag, gently used cond.

G Loomis FR965IM6, #5 line, 2 piece, case and bag, gently used cond.

Redington TR52 9084, 9', #8 line, 4 piece, case and bag, unused cond.

Winston WT, 8’6”, 2 5/8 oz., #5 line, set # 125166, case and bag, gently used cond. manufactured in 2005.

Winston Boron II, 8’, #4 line, serial #167319, manufactured in 2010, case and bag, gently used cond.

Reels:

Orvis Battenkill BBS III (brand new)

Chinese made Orvis CFO (brand new)

2 Ross Vexsis (1 is 1.5 and the other is 2.0 and has 5 weight line already...both are brand new)

Hardy made Orvis CFO IV (used, but in great cond). Made in England.

Hardy reel very similar to the Orvis CFO. Used, but in great cond.

2 Pflueger Medalist reels, 1 has line attached, the othe not. Both are used but in great cond.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:16 pm • # 7 

WoW! that is quite a collection. I've only read about those rods and reels; your father was a sophisticated fly fisherman.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:27 pm • # 8 

Do you still have these? PM me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:23 pm • # 9 

PM sent, thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:13 pm • # 10 

Sorry to hear about your loss. Your dad truly had a nice collection of gear.

My opinion on all those rods and reels is, use them in memory of your dad. Sell what you don't want, but keep something(s), and fish. It helped me to release any held in feelings when my grandfather passed. Not a day goes by I don't think of him when I'm fishing, and now instead of tears, there's only a smile.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:45 pm • # 11 

Thank you for the kind sentiment. I am doing what you recommend. I have picked out two of the rods and reels that it appears he used the most (at least the reels, as all of the rods are in pristine condition, but a few of the reels have some nice patina). Thank you for sharing the story about your grandfather.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:28 am • # 12 

I sent you an e-mail regarding your collection. Most are high quality items so be careful how you proceed to dispose of them.

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply