It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:36 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Has anyone used one on a 1wt? I have them on my 2wt, 3wt, 4wt, 5wt, and now on my Sage Bass line, but the ones I use the most are sold as 2/3/4 wt leaders.

I just emailed the guy making them and he offered to do a 1wt leader for me from 8/0 thread (the 2/3/4 is made from 6/0). He's sending it out Monday so I should be fishing it by the end of the week. I'll report back here on how it is.

I'm also interested in trying the small metal rings for the leader to tippet connection. If I scrounge some up I'll let you know.

Jerry

Last edited by jdub on Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:51 pm • # 2 

jdub, the BlueSky UL furled leaders are for 0-3wt rods, so yes, it can be done.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:25 pm • # 3 
Administrator

flyflingerandy1 wrote:
jdub, the BlueSky UL furled leaders are for 0-3wt rods, so yes, it can be done.

I'm was just a little concerned about a the weight. I tried one of my 2/3/4 wt leaders briefly but it didn't turn over as nicely as it does with the heavier lines. I like the idea of a lighter leader. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jerry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:54 am • # 4 
Administrator

Brad S. makes furled leaders for 1-3wt rods, and his prices are right, PM him for details.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:32 am • # 5 

Jerry. Your intuition is correct, you want a leader much lighter than usual. I have them on all my lines, down to 000. Robin R. can make you one or you can try John Quigley. Just tell them it is for a 0-1 weight line. I like these leaders to be pretty short so as to stay in the tiptop. Don

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:55 am • # 6 
Administrator

Zenkoanhead wrote:
Jerry. Your intuition is correct, you want a leader much lighter than usual. I have them on all my lines, down to 000. Robin R. can make you one or you can try John Quigley. Just tell them it is for a 0-1 weight line. I like these leaders to be pretty short so as to stay in the tiptop. Don

Thanks for the reply! John Quigley is the guy who is making me one now. I have 3 of his leaders on my other other lines, and 1 of Robin's.

John said he is shipping out my 1 wt leader today--I'll post a review when I've had a chance to fish it.

Regards,

Jerry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:51 pm • # 7 

It is a little late for this leader, but have John furl you some leaders in my "barber pole" style. I like hot orange and white. Because the thread count decreases, the tip is composed of only white thread. I find this combo to be the most visisble all around. Don

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:49 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Zenkoanhead wrote:
It is a little late for this leader, but have John furl you some leaders in my "barber pole" style. I like hot orange and white. Because the thread count decreases, the tip is composed of only white thread. I find this combo to be the most visisble all around. Don
Thanks for the tip! I'm sure I'll be ordering more and the barber pole sounds cool!

Jerry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:02 pm • # 9 

Those sound pretty highly visible, and would make a nice leader for fishing streamers.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply