It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:03 pm • # 1 
Administrator

All,
I got this dandy 5-6 years ago when I was trying to solve the problem of casting to overhangs on a lake at my aunt's ranch in Colorado County Texas. I needed something with some umph that could handle sizable bass and be short enough for a quick toss with some larger flies. This rod is rated for 2WT line; however as is the case with many TFO products can be over lined up to 4WF. In fact the guy who sold it to me didn't consider it a true two( he had others in his line-up more that were better candidates); this set-up came with line, leader, and case as as Just add water combo for $160.00 plus shipping.
It has been a go-to rod for me for many years fishing local creeks, rivers and smaller lakes. See pics with different pairings:
With Airex 370
With OC 61 Skeleton reel
With Ross Colorado 0
This is the old style rod with Fuji uplocking graphite reel seat. It can take reels vintage or new
These rods run $100.00 now and come with a sock no tube, but these can be found on ebay used for less. Not everyone has the UL bugImage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:55 pm • # 2 

Thank you Les! I appreciate this review, as there are some creeks here that a longer rod is TOO long.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:02 am • # 3 

Les, I too have been extremely pleased with the three TFO rods I oun. Even though I have the 8' 2wt pro model your comments prompted me too add the 6' 2 Wt. to my quiver.

Cabela's has them for $100 plus $10 shipping.

BUT WAIT! They are running a $20 off special and give another $20 if you join their club. Consequently, I'm out a total of $70.

Living at the end of the road, at the backend of nowhere, it is 90 miles to a fly shop, TFO's availability, constant pricing, and $25 repair and/or replace policies are particularly attractive.

Thanks much for sharing your experiences and insights.

Fred

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:07 am • # 4 

I am really pondering this rod, and would more than likely put a DT3F on it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:34 am • # 5 

Andy, I think you are on the right tract.

My pond and creek fishing averages 20' casts rather than 30' or longer. Consequently, I have found that a WF3F and/or a WF4F, being heavier, will load my 2 wt. better for the short throw. But, at the same time, when I need distance or am tossing streamers and/or hopper/droppers, or in wind, my TFO 8' 2 wt. has enough musle to cast a WF4F 50' or more all day long.

I saw your endorsement of the triangle taper and plan to try one. So far I've been using SA and H&H with great results.

Fred

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:11 pm • # 6 

Fred, you cannot go wrong with the TT lines. However, the reason for the DT line is so I can use a short line on a small reel for my creek fishing!

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply