It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: weight grains?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:00 pm • # 1 
Administrator

In a previous topic about Teeny sink tip lines and other thread regarding short heavy or bass rods, the grain weight of a line is prominent in the discussion. In ultralight topics I haven't really considered it as important. In fact I had to refer to a cheat sheet for help in determining the equivalency for 100 grains- it is a 3 WT line. I have provided a link so you can see for yourself: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2h7gi/fishnbanjossliceoflifeincyberspacecopy/id29.html

In this school of thought, it would seem logical that regular floating lines have a different grain weight than a similar line with a sink tip. This is a confusing topic to me, so I would love to hear from the rest of you on your thoughts.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:45 pm • # 2 

While line manufacturers do fiddle with line weights above and below the AFTMA standard, sinking (and sink tip) lines sink not because they weigh more than the equivalent floating lines, but because they are more dense. The lines are generally smaller in diameter and made with tungsten beads or something similar, rather than the hollow glass beads that fill floating line coatings. The first thirty feet of a sinking line will weigh (within bounds) the same as the equivalent floating line, but will be smaller in diameter and cut through the wind more easily.
-CC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:06 pm • # 3 

Thanks CCO. That makes perfect sense to me!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:19 pm • # 4 
Administrator

That helps.
THat creates another question: I wonder how to make an add-on that won't hinge yet can create a sinking tip for a 2wt or smaller?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:17 pm • # 5 
I've fiddled with shooting heads in the higher weights after getting molested by the surf in Baja Mexico this summer. I started using lead core LC-13 shooting heads that sink like a rock. It weighs 13grains per foot. You want to go 2wts higher to load an 8wt well so that would be 280grains divided by 13(the wt of the line per foot) and you come up with a head that is 21ft long attached to a running line. 30ft seems to be the ideal length to turn over a fly with out running out of gas in the air. BUT rio makes a T-8 which is 8grains per foot..so you could make a shooting head for a 3wt that is about 20' long. Or you could by a 4wt intermediate line and cut it at 25-30' and attach it to a running line and you will have a slow sinking line for a 2wt , if you can carry that much in the air on a back cast you can cast ridiculously far. I have no practical purpose for a shooting head system here in Ohio except to cast on the lawn and whisper "holy crap" as running line takes off like a freight train. Also I have been interested in this SA Concept line it's their bargain line and the sinking version of it sinks at 1-2" per second which would work well..but haven't bought any yet. Sorry if I got off topic...
Janus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:05 pm • # 6 

Something to consider when making/using sinking heads for 000-2wt ultralight rods is water resistance, both on the way down and then when you're trying to pull the thing back up. Short sink tips help, but the relatively thick floating fly line will be dragged under and cause problems, too. Sage Quiet taper lines (all generations) use 15 lb braided nylon cores, rather than 20 lb, which is more the standard. If you can find an old one from the first two generations (before they went DT), you could take some of the running line (which is very thin) and connect a short sink tip to it, thus mitigating your resistance problem. Another option (don't kick me out of the forum for suggesting this) is to use an ultralight closed face spinning reel instead of a fly reel, and attach your sink tip to the mono. If you do this, I wouldn't recommend line below 4 lb test, and would use a piece of 8 lb test in between the head and the mono to provide some strength and abrasion resistance.
-CC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:46 pm • # 7 
pulling it up on an 8wt is a chore..I can't imagine on a 2wt. Fun to think about casting close to 100' with a 2wt though.
Janus

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply