It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 57 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: favorite UL reels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:25 am • # 41 

they're worth every penny if they haven't been stored in the corner of a shed. The money won't buy a modern reel as nice.
Image Image
they are a handmade reel, and they feel it.
Meek 44s and Talbot Ben Hurs go for $5000
EVHs go for $2500.
Here is a reel that feels the same for $400.

Coming in at $200, a 4 Bros Delite or a Montague, though not the same feel as the GW
Image Image

$100 or so, 4 Bros Seminole and the skeleton reels I posted above
Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:14 am • # 42 
Administrator

Ron, Those are indeed beautiful specimens. I have a Meisselbach featherlight, but I have not put it on a rod.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:13 pm • # 43 

Les, look inside - this is one of the coolest little reels ever made, and perfect for tiny rods with sliding band seats.
As I said, the pawl is reversible, in case one side wears out. Look at the screw that attaches the spring. You can loosen the screw, tilt the spring slightly to one side and retighten it, and the wind/pay balance will be changed - if it's backwards for the way you prefer to wind, try it the other way and fine tune it until you get it where you like it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:00 pm • # 44 

I will have to check into a Meisselbach! They are incredible to look at!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:28 pm • # 45 

Hi Guys, I agree, its hard to balance ultra light short rods for sure. The only reel that balances my 1wt one ounce Orvis is this little Aeon at just 2 ounces. These reels are or were made in Japan around the time of the first Marryat's and were very high end reels at the time.

For my 2wt Orvis superfineI I use one of these, the Ryobi 255MG they weigh 2.25 ounces, the JAF reel is I think made from the same factory or parts, but with a metal release latch cover.

Finally for my 3wt Winston UL I use this Gatti at just over 2.5 ounces

When you get into longer heavier rods like the 4wts there are really alot of reels to choose from, but its hard to find such light reels as these.
The Sage 00 I had for a while was the 7ft 10 inch TXL which balanced the matching Sage 3100 click and pawl which weighed n at 2.25 ounces perfectly, however that reel I understand has been discontinued.
Of all of the above the hard to find Ryobi is gonna be the best bang for the buck though.
Richard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:19 pm • # 46 
Very nice reels. The ryobi's are hard to find. I almost had one yesterday but I lost out. I'm gonna keep after one though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:20 pm • # 47 

To be honest I watch them always, think the one the other day went for over $50 thats not bad when you consider the JAF is over $80. Again honestly Im watching too, just to buy one for spare parts and a spare spool, so don't expect a clean one to go for under $40 anytime soon. The little 255MG can be set up for LHW works well that way too, the larger 355MG doesnt seem to want to convert, and the huge 455MG is crazy, terrible drag spring no drag really and big enough to be a 10wt (like a 4in MW Beaudex) but weighs nothing. Still haven't figured out that one out yet or what Im gonna use it for even if I make my own drag spring. It is however convetable RHW to LHW. They all show up time to time on Evilbay. The bigger ones dont get noticed much, could be great if you have some lightweight 6-7wt or 8-10wt short graphite pack rods though. I would hate to spool the things with leadcore line just to balance such a lightweight reel to fit a long rod though.

Richard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:18 pm • # 48 

Richard, you have some nice toys sir! I like that JAF Magnesium and the fact that it weighs absolutely nothing is nice too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:52 pm • # 49 
Richard you just missed this one. It was listed with as a telescopic rod, but a 255mg although not pictured was included in the auction. The seller told me the reel had never been used. $32.00 for the reel with telescopic rod included.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eB...:IT&item=360111169332
it's over I got bogged down at work and couldn't try for it. But I have noticed that the ones I have seen have gone for $50-75...this particular one was due to circumstance.
Janus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:09 am • # 50 

Those Ryobi reels are very very nice. I want to find one of the 255s, along with the JAF Magnesium and probably a Daiwa 730. If I can find these reels, I will probably still fish my Lamson as much if not more!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:21 am • # 51 

Hi Janus, well I sure missed that one, in that condition it should have gone for about $10 or so under the price for the JAF. I would have snapped it up had I seen it. Often thats were some of the really good deals hang out. Items that are in addition, but not listed in the Ebay listing, or items labeled wrong or a poor listing. I picked up a really minty Sil o flex Pole a few years ago for the opening bid of $9.99 I was the only bidder, I could tell barely by the poor dinky out of focuse distant picture that it was a fly rod, something between 6 and 7ft long by the way it was posed up against a door. No discription of it at all and listing in Fishing-Other. Turned out to be an early MF65-2 that although dusty from storage looked like it had never been used. Ive been lucky enough to stumble on a few good ones, but only do a limited amount of searching, so some of the really hidden stuff gets away. Did you snape it up?

Hi Andy, I use the little Daiwa 730s alot, its a little over 3 ounces I think. I was working on a little 8381 5wt heddon pro after I picked it up to balance the combo and found for that rod the Ryobi was way to light, but the little Diawa balanced back on the grip about 3 inches, and the Abu Garcia Diplomate 156, being a bit heavier yet blanced that rod right at the end of the grip.

Problem with so many of the really short untra lights like my shorty Orvis 1wt one ounce is that your dealing with that total package being short and a rod weighing in around an ounce and a half. To make it even harder to balance well these super ultra light short rods all have minimul cork seats with slding rings and short cigar style grips, just barely big enough if you have big hands to keep your hand up against the end of the grip and start of the cork reel seat. Not much room to play with. as such at least on my really short 1wt I had to keep the reel under two ounces. Not only did it have to be a light reel but needed to be a small reel too. Too much backing would have been to heavy as well. Although I have to admit almost all my ultra light fishing is in close and I can't remember the last time I was using anything but a double taper on both my 1&2wt Orvis Rods. My 2wt is over a foot longer than the 1wt, with a little longer cork grip, still has the cork seat and ring setup, but the slip rings are of the slightly wider varity than the one ounce rods. On that rod the Ryobi fits perfect. My 3wt Winston is even a little longer, longer grip and I fish it with a very old (nos) Wulff TT 3/4wt, it handles that WF style of line quite well. That rod is the one I keep in the trunk just in case I want to fish some open water and want to go for some longer casting or work some small streamers etc. However the other two rods I do alot of roll casting and I like the DT lines for that.

Dollar wise I would say the Ryobi, then the JAF magnesium reels are the best bang for the buck, after that unless your gonna find a vintage click and pawl thats light, then some of the others get pricey fast. Around 8 or 9 years ago those Aeon reels were $299, the LHW or RHW Gatti I think was a tiny bit more during that same time period. I picked up the Sage OO and 3100 reel at the same time in 2004 and if I remember right the reel was a dollar or two under $200.

If your rod is over 7 1/2ft and over 2 1/2 ounces and you have a 7 inch grip length you might just get one of those little Daiwa 730s to balance, if so that would really be the best bang for the buck, I really like that little reel, get one in mint or near mint, clean it and lube it with hot sause and decompress the spring when you store it away and it will last you forever. Its got the best drag and feel of any light reel Ive used for under $50.

Richard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:06 am • # 52 
Richard no I bid on it but missed the end of the auction someone got me by a dollar. I found a old 7' 6wt w&m featherlight for 2.99 because it was missing a guide. It was nothing to get it back to fishing condition and turned out to be a sweet rod. I've noticed that stuff that need any no matter how minimal of work will get ignored and, if you are just the tiny bit handy you can get it for next to nothing and fix it up. But I am having trouble with this little 2wt so I might have to save up for that JAF because I am tired of holding on for a 255..OR maybe one of this basspro UL reels . I just want to stop obsessing over it and get a reel and move on to my next obsession!!! Rockthief has me interested in one of his 730's. Andy I suggest you contact him if you are interested and if I don't pick one up off of him he may be willing to sell one to you...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:42 am • # 53 

I will probably go JAF from fishpersonkev. That Magnesium has called my name for a year now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:00 am • # 54 

Either the Ryobi or the JAF are good little reels for sure. If your thinking about it and using a 1wt or 2wt you might think about making a cork arbor sleave for the spool, an old cork thurmus cork is about the right size, cut the width, then split it and glue it in place with Plybond. That will greatly cut your weight of the backing and also sort of turns the Ryobi or JAF into a sort of large arbor rig for ultra lights. Ive even used some 12# power pro braided to get a decent amount of backing on such a tricked out reel. The yellow power pro looks pretty cool for backing but the diameter is 1/3 of that of our normal fly line backing.
Richard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:03 am • # 55 

I would more than likely use a DT line rather than WF, which the JAF is rated for, and with that, I would use some 20# backing and be right at about 80 yards or so with a DT2...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:16 pm • # 56 

yea, IM using an orvis DT2 wonderline with just about the same setup on my Ryobi and its a good with 15# backing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:52 pm • # 57 

Awesome, I am watching those reels on ebay from the dealer.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 57 posts ] New Topic Add Reply