It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: fast v slow rods
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:19 am • # 1 
Administrator

From a conversation J, Andy, and I had last night, I began to wonder what's important to you as far as rod actions go. These polls reflect just results, but rarely touch upon differences which materials like glass or bamboo and graphite might affect these results. Nor do they reflect the differences in actions used by today's companies. So please share your thoughts.

LesImage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:26 am • # 2 
Administrator

How about Medium? :-)

I like medium for UL, and fast for heavier gear.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:53 pm • # 3 
Global Moderator

slow rods. there is just something about them. I think life slows down when I cast them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:44 pm • # 4 

If I can eat a sandwich while the rod is loading on the back cast the rod is too slow-p-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:47 pm • # 5 
Administrator

pearow wrote:
If I can eat a sandwich while the rod is loading on the back cast the rod is too slow-p-
If you can take time for a coffee break it's just right...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:14 pm • # 6 

I would lean more towards the slower side, but many UL rods are made faster to aid in the shooting of a light line over longer distances.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:00 am • # 7 
Administrator

I started out fly fishing with slower rods, and I was never able to adjust to fast rods, no feel and too stiff. I'd say my upper limit on rod speed would be medium fast, but given a choice, I'll always choose a slower rod.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:19 am • # 8 
I prefer the slower side of things..up until 8.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:04 pm • # 9 

I enjoy slower rods, such as glass and banty boo rods, most of my graphite stuff would be in the mid-fast range.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:07 pm • # 10 

Interesting that slow beats fast by such a wide margin in the vote. I say that because the high speed of graphite made sub-3wt rods practical for all-weather fishing and warm water fishing. Not that there haven't been 1 and 2wt bamboo rods around for many decades, but they aren't the easiest things to use in the wind, or with sunken flies, or flies over #16. Glass rods in those weights are almost unheard of, and the few I've seen were made in the last 15 yrs or so--bamboo comments apply--I'm not really fond of either material under 3wt, but then, I live where the wind often blows and the bluegill and bass want some meat in their diets.

This is really a mass/acceleration issue, like with firearms. A big, heavy bullet can move at relatively slow velocities and still push through the wind--until gravity overcomes forward motion and it falls. A small, light bullet needs to move at considerably greater velocity to cut through the same wind (in a straight line, at least). It also takes advantage of that light weight and high speed to fight gravity for a longer distance and, of course, hits with less impact at range--a trade off that tends to work to advantage in some situations, just as it does with fly fishing. The bottom line is that I like more speed in my rods as I drop below 3wt, and less in the 5wt and over sizes.
-CC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:52 pm • # 11 

CCo, the thing is, water and air are both liquids, however, water is seven times more dense. Liquids apply force to objects depending upon surface area. Theoretically, a lighter line has less surface area and has less force exerted upon it by the wind. I love using my light lines in wind. You have to adjust your stroke and any line you use can be cast well in wind.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:09 am • # 12 

Andy, that's true, but there are some other factors. It takes more energy to get a heavy line moving, but, once moving, it has more dynamic inertia and will keep moving for a longer distance than a light line moving at the same velocity. The light line loses velocity more rapidly, whereupon the wind has a greater effect on accuracy. Therefore, a light line needs to start at a higher initial velocity to reach the same distant spot (accurately) as a heavy line. In other words, a given amount of energy imparted to a lighter line will result in more initial velocity (and faster loss of velocity--the reason front tapers and tapered leaders turn over and land more softly than level lines--the tip is speeding up as the taper is turning over, then slowing down rapidly), but less momentum than the same energy imparted to a heavy line. I'm sure there's an engineer among us who'd love to graph this effect, and add in the complications of the downward pull of gravity, relative surface areas per gram weight of different lines, effects of front taper design, etc, but it's not really needed for our discussion. I love my relatively slow glass 2wt on hot, still summer days, but want a graphite rod to cast that same line (or lighter) on windy days, because it's less work, more efficient, and more effective.
-CC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:34 am • # 13 
Administrator

flyflingerandy1 wrote:
Theoretically, a lighter line has less surface area and has less force exerted upon it by the wind.
Doesn't a slower rod create a more open loop and give you even *more* surface area? Another advantage of fast rods--tight loops.

Having just spent two very windy days, back to back, with a fast 5 wt. and med/fast 2 wt. it was much easier for me to punch the 5 wt. into the wind than the 2 wt. I spent the majority of time casting with the wind, but I did make (or attempt to make) quite a few casts directly into the wind.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:18 am • # 14 

jdub wrote:
flyflingerandy1 wrote:
Theoretically, a lighter line has less surface area and has less force exerted upon it by the wind.
Doesn't a slower rod create a more open loop and give you even *more* surface area?

Nope. You can cast a tight loop with ANY rod, reel and line! It is a matter of timing and application of power.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:22 am • # 15 
Administrator

flyflingerandy1 wrote:
jdub wrote:
flyflingerandy1 wrote:
Doesn't a slower rod create a more open loop and give you even *more* surface area?

Nope. You can cast a tight loop with ANY rod, reel and line! It is a matter of timing and application of power.
Yes you can force a slow rod to cast tighter loops, but you still won't get razor thin loops like you would when using a fast rod. But of course the better caster you are, the easier it is for you to come up with viable solutions to casting issues, ie. wind and light lines. Just my opinion. Image

J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:40 am • # 16 

I started on med/fast action rods, which I believe are the best for a begining caster. I moved into fast rods for a few years but just didn't like the feel of a stiff rod when hooked up with smaller fish. The tip being the only part of the rod that flexed, just didn't do it for me. Being able to throw long distance cast is not necessary on most of the waters I fish, except for some of the spooky trout on a couple of local tailwaters that get heavily fished.
I gradually moved back to slower med action Fenwick glass and then into slow rods like the lamiglass honeys.
I am going to test cast the new St. Croix Imperial line 8'6" 3wt in a few days at a local fly shop. They are supposed to be a fast action rod. I've been asked by a friends wife to help her pick out a rod for her husband for Christmas so it should be fun to check out some of the new rods for 09. http://www.stcroixrods.co...s/default2.asp?rodname=81

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply