It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Echo Carbon 2wt
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:08 pm • # 1 

I got home from work in time to see the big brown truck drive up the street and watched as a nice fellow in a snazzy brown uniform hand me my new rod!
I can't wait to chuck some fluff with this one. I got a Rio 2wt line at a really good price so I have to spool it up first before I can try it out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:17 pm • # 2 

Nice looking rod...Let us know how it casts and fishes for you....Nothing like the big brown truck stopping at your house making you smile....Rob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:42 pm • # 3 

Nice rod
Be sure and post a report:)

Justin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:51 pm • # 4 
Administrator

You should really like that rod. It's a very smooth medium fast action, but it's not stiff at all. I'm not a fan of those windowed reel seats on it, but the rod is a really good performer.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:47 pm • # 5 

Can't wait to try it out. Spooled up the reel and wanted to see how it feels. It is kind of heavy. Prolly over 5oz. as it is a 3/4 wt TFO Prism. It will have to do for the time being.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:49 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Yeah that rod likes a light reel, 3oz or a little under that.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:31 pm • # 7 

Be aware......the big brown truck can have a "different" effect.  I just finished fussing at the wife for ordering more (stuff) from QVC. I had barely got the words out of my mouth when we both heard the squeaky brakes on the BIG BROWN TRUCK. The man jumped out of his truck and handed me a L O N G box from Cabela's !!!!!! >>>>>>>>>>  Anyone for a side of "CROW" ???
I had to go out into the shop to open the box and fondle my new treasure.   (Even the dirty looks coundn't spoil the MAGIC)   TIMING IS EVERYTHING
..........................................................Don S. in SC
................................"Don't be afraid to fly"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:41 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Tailingloop wrote:
  Be aware......the big brown truck can have a "different" effect.  I just finished fussing at the wife for ordering more (stuff) from QVC. I had barely got the words out of my mouth when we both heard the squeaky brakes on the BIG BROWN TRUCK. The man jumped out of his truck and handed me a L O N G box from Cabela's !!!!!! >>>>>>>>>>  Anyone for a side of "CROW" ???
I had to go out into the shop to open the box and fondle my new treasure.   (Even the dirty looks coundn't spoil the MAGIC)   TIMING IS EVERYTHING
..........................................................Don S. in SC
................................"Don't be afraid to fly"
I take it your that was your St. Croix? Let us know how you like it.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:43 pm • # 9 

Lol...I see I have another good reason for living alone I can tell my friends and daughter...They keep telling me it is not healthy to spend so much time by myself....And I keep telling them I like it......Rob....BTW...Whatcha get??!! Inquiring minds wish to know:)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:18 pm • # 10 
Administrator

nice looking rod. can't wait for a report.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:25 am • # 11 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
I love mine, Ever since I got it last year, it's the one I pick up to go fishing with. I got the LA battenkill 1 on mine, it balances well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:03 am • # 12 

I am looking hard at the LA Orvis. I have a MA Battenkill in 8wt and like it a whole bunch. Only neg to it seems to be weight I think the empty weight is close to 4oz.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:52 pm • # 13 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
I got the older LA but havent really seen the newer ones. I havent really thought about the weight since I concentrate more on catching. I only paid 100 bill out the door at the shop as they were running a special.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:07 pm • # 14 

I just had to try this thing out. It was a little windy and a little chilly here for S. Florida so I wasn't expecting anything other than a  casting session. I was not dissapointed with this rod at all. With the breeze at my back I was able to comfortably cast this setup wth ease. I could change direction and it went right were I pointed it at. I even got my first fish on! I was using one of the fly designs that my Uncle made up for me in the early 70's. It still has some juice in it. What a fun time. I think I am really going to enjoy this.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:45 pm • # 15 

Good for you!!!...Now the fun begins....Rob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:01 pm • # 16 
Administrator

Way to break the rod in. I knew you would like it. It's certainly one of the best bangs for the buck out there in a factory 2wt.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:45 pm • # 17 

I met Tim Rajeff at a mini fly show in Southern California a while ago. He made me a deal I couldn't refuse no tax on any Echo rod, free Airflow RidgeLine WF2F, and a free hat. Very fun rod, best I've owned under $200.00. I have had several people cast this rod (that fish TXLs on a regular basis) and everyone liked it. In my opinion it casts WF2 a lot better than DT2.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:47 pm • # 18 
Administrator

Green Hornet wrote:
I am looking hard at the LA Orvis. I have a MA Battenkill in 8wt and like it a whole bunch. Only neg to it seems to be weight I think the empty weight is close to 4oz.

I have an older Orvis LA I (made in England) and they weigh in at 3.6 oz.  Not bad but heavier than I like for most of my UL stuff.  The new ones weigh 3.9 oz and go for close to $200.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:21 pm • # 19 

I think that for a low priced factory rod you can't get much better than those Echo Carbons.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:18 am • # 20 

I picked up the Echo Carbon 2 wt a few months ago. I'm still looking for a reel and line that are going to go well with this little feather of a rod. My Orvis BBS I seems just a little heavy on this little rod, the rod isn't balanced quite right. I can feel it mostly on the backcast. The rod isn't loading quite the way I want. Image

I remember when we tested them down at the Darby with Ohio FF, the reel and line combo's we were using that day seemed to do the trick. Little Bass Pro click pawl reels and H&H DT 2wt line, I think. The Echo throws and lays down line with authority but is delicate and smooth when it is balanced right. I feel connected to this rod. It does what I tell it to do and that, of course, is a great feeling. Image

I still want a WF line and I'd still like to get a light (under 3oz) well-made reel with some kind of drag system. I better get on it. Things are warming up!

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ] New Topic Add Reply