It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 37 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Orvis prices
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:47 pm • # 1 

has anybody noticed the price increases on the orvis website?

Superfines have gone up to $575
BBS I and BBS II are up to $119

i went yesterday to the local fly shop and picked up a 1wt superfine (at the old price of $495) w/ a titanium BBS I (i got the free reel offer).
i thought, if i'm going to get one, i better get it now : )

up until now, i've always fished my 4wt 7 foot Superfine (One Ounce model). now that i've gone ultralight with the 1wt, maybe i'll be posting more.

jd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:57 pm • # 2 
Administrator

jds,
Welcome, you'll find other Orvis Suprfine and lightweight fans here. My wife has an 8' 4wt Tight loops model-a very sweet rod.
Les

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:24 pm • # 3 

Orvis has to make money somehow, which is why I will be buying Orvis tackle on the secondhand market. I cannot fathom paying $575 for the Superfine 1wt, when I can have Jim West personally handbuild me one of the older Superfine one weights for 2/3 the price of that one!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:02 pm • # 4 
Administrator

I'm glad I bought my 1 wt. when I did. They gave me a free Wonderline & backing at the time, and then when the free reel special started (a couple of weeks after I bought mine) I emailed them. They asked me to scan a copy of my receipt and send it to them--which I did--and a week later I got a brand new BBS I in the mail. Worked out well--the rod, reel, line & backing for $495.

I'm sorry to see their prices go up like that, but I sure appreciate their customer service.

Jerry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:06 pm • # 5 

Jerry, you got a steal of a deal there sir, and I am thankful for it ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:22 pm • # 6 
Administrator

flyflingerandy1 wrote:
Jerry, you got a steal of a deal there sir, and I am thankful for it ;)

Worked out well for both of us :-)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:02 pm • # 7 

i had to buy the line, but the backing was free. i'm pretty happy with the deal i got.

i used to collect video games back before i got married, so when i decided i wanted i new rod,
i sold my game collection. otherwise, i could have never afforded a new superfine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:04 pm • # 8 

that 7'-4 weight is a ultralight since it is really a 3 by most standards; maybe i said that wrong; there's a lot of 3 weights that are stronger rods than the superfine 4-p-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:45 pm • # 9 

yeah, my 4wt is nice and slow with a lot of give. i love it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:16 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Well, I expect to see prices go up everywhere, not just Orvis. Every company out there made less money this year for sure. Plus you have to factor in inflation.
I don't see why Orvis has to raise the price so much on the BBS they aren't made in England anymore. I guess I'll not bother to ever purchase a BBS now, I don't feel they are worth that much more cash.
I feel that if we keep seeing prices continue to climb as they do for American made fly tackle, while wages stay stagnant or ever drop, then you will see these companies either fold up and go away or they will have to turn into importers of foreign made tackle at prices we can afford.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:29 pm • # 11 

J, the BBS I is worth the extra $30. I've been playing with one lately and it is a smooth, sweetie of a reel. Every company is raising prices when folks have less to spend. Does that make sense? Do they really need Thermoplastic resins? NOPE. Does the WT from Winston need to cost over $600 if you can find them? NOPE. They are just an IM6 blank with quality appointments. There is no excuse for that rod to cost that much. I guess then that my one weight that I buy will be a TFO Finesse...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:37 pm • # 12 
Administrator

I really want to buy American made fly tackle, but I just can't afford it most of the time. Even when I do have the money laying around, I can't justify $500 or more for a **** graphite rod. Even some of the import prices are getting ridiculous.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:04 pm • # 13 

Yeah, I understand that. I just want a couple light liners that I can fish until the cork falls off!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:32 pm • # 14 
Administrator

I almost always end up selling stuff from one hobby to pay for another. Because of this, resale value is a big factor for me. I've accumulated a bunch of nice rods, but I've sold a bunch too, and as many of you have already seen, a used Sage, Winston, Orvis, etc. can bring a higher price on eBay and sell much more quickly than a typical custom or less-respected brand, even though the lesser brand may be equal to or better than the high-end brand.

If I hadn't sold a few things to pay for my Orvis 1 wt. "b-day present", it never would have happened. As it stands now I have about $350 into the rod, and if I were to decide to sell it I'm thinking I could get 2/3 (or more) of that back out of it without too much effort--a return helped along by the recent price increase. Certainly not a money-making investment, but a loss I'm willing to take to fish really nice gear. And if it turns out to be one of the rods I keep then I can spread that $350 over many years of use and make myself feel better Image

On the flip-side, I bought two Sage LL blanks from a custom rod builder in Austin for just over $100 each! After building them up I came out of it with two great rods for less than I just paid for the Orvis. The rods were finished months apart and this was at a time when there's no way I could have come up with $350 in one shot, so I understand both sides of this issue. My problem is that I'm almost always drawn to gear that I can't really afford Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:24 am • # 15 
Administrator

Jerry,
I / we have the same approach in my household: If I want something bad enough, then something must GO. My wife's comment is usually "OK sell a rod or sell a reel- sell something". Once this is accomplished then I go into purchase mode, although sometimes the purchase has already been made.Image
Les

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:49 am • # 16 

Yeah Les, oftentimes when I am selling something, the funds are intended to go towards a new piece of tackle, but go towards something else. It is quite upsetting, but it is what it is.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:56 am • # 17 

Just a heads up on the Orvis BBS1, I ordered one yesterday from Bass Pro at the old price. I needed an extra reel for the new rod I am going to build.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:26 pm • # 18 

I love mine, and I am sure you will love yours!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:51 pm • # 19 
Administrator

Well I just bought Jerry's Dennison, even though I said I wouldn't get one, HA! SO now I could care less about the BBS 1.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:23 pm • # 20 

J...boo hoo! LOL...I hope you enjoy it!

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 37 posts ] New Topic Add Reply