It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:51 am • # 1 
Administrator

We've talked around this subject some, and I'm sure everyone here has an opinion about whether we should over line a rod or underline it depending upon casting or fishing situations. I'd like to see what the numbers bear, and I'd like to see your comments.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:53 am • # 2 

Honestly it depends upon the situation. I feel that if the rod is faster, and I need shorter casts, I will overline it a size or so, and be perfectly happy with it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:59 am • # 3 

i always just use what the manufacturer rates it. my rod is really slow though, so i can see why
you might overline a fast rod.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:03 am • # 4 

I'm like Andy; its according to the rod; you can't over-line a super-fine; you can't fish with "some 2 weights" unless you over-line them; if you fish with a dorber ultraweave you under-line-p-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:57 pm • # 5 

You aren't overlining a rod if the manufacturer underrated it with reference to the Common Cents System. Don

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:48 am • # 6 

I overline depending on the conditions, cant remember ever underlining. Some rods rated as two weight just dont cast well at all with that weight line so I go to a three and possibly a four weight ... Exhibit A is that Cabelas Clear Creek 5'0 2 wt. It just doesnt like a DT2F line. I have had the same problem with the Cortland Sylk in 3 weight on cane rods. One rod loves it, the other hates it. Go figure... Paul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:27 am • # 7 

Hi. My view is that one can not generically say that you should or should not overline a rod. It all depends on the ERN. As you all probably know AFTMA is a subjective rating and one rod manufacturers #3 is not the same as anothers. Accordingly, some rods rated as #3 may actually have an ERN of 3.8, 4, 5 or whatever...in which case that number is the line weight that should be used in order to perfectly load the rod at 30'. Beacause of this I think some rods load much better than others when overlined and others just dont. It all depends on the distance you are trying to cast. Just my thoughts for what its worth...Image

Last edited by featherlite on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:54 am • # 8 

I have a dorber 2 wt. Can't decide about line. Any suggestions? Should have said it's the Lil Streamer.

Last edited by swalker9513 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:29 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Swalker9513,
Good to see you here. If you're in the Metroplex you could always meet up with one of us try some lines.
In my opinion If you have them, start with 2DT then a 3DT I think that testing is the best way.
Perhaps Gene will show and offer his thoughts.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:40 pm • # 10 

The Lil Streamer would probably like a DT2F line or a TT2F.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:23 pm • # 11 

best thing to do is to call dorber; ask for Ray Bauer; he'll tell you which line is best on every rod he makes-p-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:35 am • # 12 

I am in the Metroplex--Burleson to be specific. I sent the folks at dorber an email, but I'm guessing they are closed for the holidays. I have 1 wt Rio and a 3 wt bps line that i've tried on it. Looks like 2wt is definitely the way to go. 1 wt doesn't seem to load the rod, 3wt doesn't seem to "unload" the rod.

It is quite a bit slower than any rod I've owned, so that will take a bit to get accustomed to. I have hooked a few bream on it. It is a blast.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:36 pm • # 13 
Administrator

Hey swalker9513,
I fish Deer creek - near Spinks Airport. We need to meet up some time.
Les

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:08 pm • # 14 

hey walker; what length rod is the 2 weight you have?-p-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:10 pm • # 15 

keebranch. I would love that. I work from home so I have a fairly flexible schedule.

pearow, 5' with the cork seat. I also requested single foot guides to knock down on wraps and epoxy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:48 am • # 16 

Experianced casters can overline as newbies need the stated weight or underline.

Ray.....................

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:14 am • # 17 

That can be true, however, if a newbie is making short casts, and they cannot feel the rod load, what good will it do them? Honestly, it is easier to teach casting when the pupil can feel every aspect of load, rather than having to watch the line. I cannot help but feel your comment is backwards...only an experienced caster should underline a rod, as you will not have any feel of what is going on for at least forty feet. Overlining is great for a faster rod and allows more feel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:50 am • # 18 

Well from experence I will say I use a DT on all my 3wt and under ultra lights for roll casting at any distance, if the rod doesn't load and I cant feel at least a little even at 25ft then Im not a happy camper, Im not gonna watch my line. If Im out for some range, I switch to a WF and for my 3wt and under rods, its got to cast at least 50ft without effort and keep the fly in a very small area consistantly with a soft lay that wont spook anything.
So saying, I think alot depends on the rod mfg. Some (Sage) do make rods that just perform consistantly within their line rating. Most others by my experence do not. Orvis is a good example, and I really like their rods and have had and kept quite a few because they are good friends. However on nearly every one below 5wt Ive had to overline by 1/2 to 1 line weight to feel comfortable on the way they load with the way I fish them.
I do have to agree, if your teaching someone how to fly fish its very important that they can feel the rod load in order to learn properly. Often with my eldest grandson Ive taken to bringing along several rods to the lakes edge so he can feel each method of casting and experence each without having to look at his lines travel. Although often when he gets it just right I will tell him to do it again but as soon as he starts his cast I tell him to watch his line just so he can see what his line is doing when his rod loads. IMHO knowing your lines realitive position as your feeling the load is very important if your casting in tight cover and want really tight loops.
Richard

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply