It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:07 pm • # 1 
Administrator

This is the rod I bought from Jim Little a few weeks ago, and had to put under the tree for Christmas. Jim did a beautiful job on it and it was hard to let it sit without fishing it.
  • Dan Craft 3 piece, 6'1", for 0 wt line --- just under 1.2 oz.
  • White River Classic Ultralight reel --- 2.2 oz.
  • Sage Quiet Double Taper 0 wt line & 30 yards of backing --- 1.0 oz.
  • TOTAL WEIGHT --- 4.2 oz.
I set it up last night with a White River Classic Ultralight reel. This is a great looking, non-adjustable clicker, that weighs just 2.2 oz. I put about 30 yards of 20lb backing on the reel and a now-discontinued Sage Quiet Double Taper 0 wt line that I got on clearance from Sierra Trading Post. The reel, backing, line, and leader weigh just 3.2 oz. With this setup the rod balances just an inch or so behind what I consider ideal--a difference which wasn't even noticeable while casting.

The conditions today weren't ideal for a 0 wt--15 mph winds gusting to 25, but when I got to the neighborhood pond I found a couple of spots with enough shelter from the wind to do some casting (and fishing).

The rod loads very nicely with just 10' of line out, and casting 20 to 30' was effortless. Before going out I was a little concerned that I might have to overline this rod to get it to cast nicely, and I even took a Sage Quiet Taper WF1F on another reel just in case. My concerns were unfounded as this rod seems to me to be a genuine 0 wt. I was delighted with how easily it loaded and cast.

Just a few minutes after arriving I had my first fish on and this thing really is a blast! You can feel every little nibble through the tip, and even the small bream put a nice bend in the rod--more so than even my Orvis 1 wt. Because the of lighter weight of the rod and reel, and the shorter length of the rod, it really does feel like a wand.

Highly recommended!

Here's a pic of the rod, reel, and winter sunfish:

Even the little dinks put a good bend in the rod. This is from the fish in the first photo:

Last edited by jdub on Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:03 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Jerry that is a sweet looking setup. What size flies do you think are ideal for that rod?

J.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:39 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Quote:
What size flies do you think are ideal for that rod?
I only fished for about an hour and used the same wet fly from Les that I used yesterday. I think it's about a 16 (I didn't measure) and it felt great. Next time out I'll try a variety of sizes and weights.

I also used my other Hog Creek furled leader and it worked beautifully.

Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:55 pm • # 4 
Administrator

I like the looks of that reel too. I wasn't aware it was available with a clear anodized finish. On the BPS site they only show them in black. Too bad they don't offer spare spools for that reel.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:27 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Jerry,
Nice set up I like the construction of that rod-very similar to an older Orvis Superfine. The reel looks great paired with the rod. As for the fly - you guessed correctly it is a size 16 scud hook.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:28 pm • # 6 
Administrator

I think they discontinued the silver color. I got the last one they had at the local BPS, and he didn't think they could get more. I was really torn because a black reel would have looked great with this rod too. But I figured the silver looked a little more classy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:34 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Quote:
you guessed correctly it is a size 16 scud hook.
Those are great flies! And I need to get some of those hooks--they seem to penetrate very nicely. Just a light setup seems to do the trick.

Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:38 pm • # 8 

Very nice!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:20 am • # 9 

Jerry, I like that setup! How do you like the Sage line? That reel has a bit of a following around the web and it is a smooth reel to boot! Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:43 am • # 10 

Sweet!!!!

Nice review Jerry.

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:48 am • # 11 
Administrator

Thanks David!

Andy, I *really* like the line. I didn't know it until after I'd purchased it, but the Quiet Taper DT lines are more like two WF lines attached in the middle. There's a tip, front taper, level section, and then a back taper down to the middle of the line. It looks the same from both ends--pretty cool. It lays down and picks up off the water with almost no splash. The reel is very smooth, although I might try to tweak it to get just a bit more resistance. I can overrun it a little just stripping line off. It does balance the rod out nicely and looks pretty cool too.

Jerry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:59 am • # 12 

jdub wrote:
Thanks David!

Andy, I *really* like the line. I didn't know it until after I'd purchased it, but the Quiet Taper DT lines are more like two WF lines attached in the middle. There's a tip, front taper, level section, and then a back taper down to the middle of the line. It looks the same from both ends--pretty cool. It lays down and picks up off the water with almost no splash. The reel is very smooth, although I might try to tweak it to get just a bit more resistance. I can overrun it a little just stripping line off. It does balance the rod out nicely and looks pretty cool too.

Jerry

I fish Quiet Taper DT on my Sage 1wt SPL. Fantastic line!

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:36 pm • # 13 
Administrator

I took this Dan Craft 0 wt. out again today--first time on a calm day, and it casts beautifully! I'm extremely happy with it. Casts from 10' to 30' are a piece of cake, and 40' casts are not a problem although I have to pay a little more attention.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:27 pm • # 14 
Administrator

Jerry, that's good to hear, I'm glad you like that rod.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:18 pm • # 15 
Administrator

Thanks J, it was a pleasant surprise. I really hadn't expected it to cast this nicely. I fished it and my new Lamiglas 3 wt today, and I was actually casting a little prettier with the 0 wt.--probably because it's a little faster than the Lami, which is what I'm used to.

However, I noticed this evening that one of the guides on the Lami was pretty crooked--the one next to the tip-top--so I think that was messing me up--keeping line from shooting smoothly, etc. It was strange because the guide feet all lined up correctly, but it looked like the upper part of the guide had been bent to the side. It was definitely off enough to cause problems. I very carefully bent it back to where they all line up, so I'm anxious to try it out again.

Last edited by jdub on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:09 am • # 16 
Administrator

Jerry, I've not had to deal with a bent guide yet, but I've replaced grooved guides on older rods. I wonder if that guide will be prone to failure since it was bent like that.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:57 am • # 17 

Your guide should be fine, but keep us posted!

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply