It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:37 pm • # 1 
Administrator

This is another rod from Jim Little--man he does a good job on these! Lamiglas 3 pc, 3 wt blank. Bellinger walnut burl single ring reel seat. And a fairly short half-wells grip. It looks beautiful!

I don't have a classic looking reel for it, and my 3 wt line was on a Lamson, so that what I put on it when I headed over to the pond. Bad day for casting--26mph winds gusting to 45!!

It was blowing so stinking hard that I really couldn't get a feel for how it casts. I'd just kind of flip the line up in the air behind me and the wind would catch it and totally straighten it out. 50' casts were no problem ;-)

I'll give it another shot soon, but it feels pretty cool. I caught fish (still using the same fly from Les that I've used the last 3 times out).

The first bass I've seen in a couple of weeks. Not one for the record books.

I'll provide more details on how it casts when I get a chance to get out on a calmer day.

Jerry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:46 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I really like that rod, especially the Bellinger seat.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:00 pm • # 3 

Sweet!

Love the colors of the wraps.....and the wood. Now that I am learning how to use a lathe, I've really started paying attention to the inserts.

I like it!

David

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:16 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Thanks guys! I really like the reel seat as well. And the wraps just blend into the rod--it looks cool.

I might end up just putting a pflueger medalist on it... a little 1492--something that looks old school like the rod. The rod itself is heavy enough that I don't have to worry about a super lightweight reel.

Jerry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:21 pm • # 5 

Very classy Jerry. Jim does beautiful work.

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:43 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Jerry, a 1492 should balance that rod OK.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:47 pm • # 7 

Jerry,
I have noticed your (phone?) in a couple of your post with temp and wind direction displayed. What kind of phone is it? What else does it do?

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:11 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Quote:
Jerry, a 1492 should balance that rod OK.
Yeah, I think that might be the way to go. I love Medalist reels, but they're usually too heavy for most of my setups. I just tried a bunch of different reels on this rod, and my Orvis LA I balances it perfectly. I wasn't using this reel at the moment so I'll set it up with the Lami until I scrounge up a few bucks for the Plueger.

One thing I like about these 1st generation Orvis Large Arbors, is that they are actually an *extra* large arbor so there's no need to fill them with backing. This one has the first 35' of a DT 3 wt, about 30' of 2 wt. running line, and about 20 yards of backing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:17 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Quote:
I have noticed your (phone?) in a couple of your post with temp and wind direction displayed. What kind of phone is it? What else does it do?
Hi Doug, it's a 1st generation iPhone. The weather application it's running is called Weather Bug, and it's one of the few I've found that displays wind-speed *and* direction and updates it about every 30 seconds. Great for fishing!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:23 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Jerry,
Nice outing. I'm glad to see the little wet being such a good producer especially since I never thrwon one in hopes of a fooling a fish.
Instead of fishing in the wind, I took my nephew and bro-inlaw out skeet shooting. What a day- everyone had a great time.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:39 pm • # 11 

Jerry, I fished today too! It was an exercise in futility.

That reel looks good on that rod!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:11 pm • # 12 
Administrator

J, which reel do you use with your 3wt Lami?

Jerry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:46 pm • # 13 
Administrator

Jerry, my 3wt reel is an Orvis Battenkill 3/4 clicker. It weighs 3.5 oz empty, don't know what the weight is though with backing and a DT3 on it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:07 pm • # 14 
Administrator

J,
I must admit that I like that fenwick style grip- very comfortable.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:33 pm • # 15 
Administrator

Quote:
I must admit that I like that fenwick style grip- very comfortable.
I really like the way the Fenwick grip looks--especially on a retro-ish glass rod--it just looks perfect.

Unfortunately I learned to cast with my fore-finger extended on the end of the grip instead of my thumb, and I've never been able to break the habit. All my rods, with the exception of the Sage SM Bass, have either a reverse half-wells, or a cigar, and I may end up mounting the Sage SM in my lathe and turning the full-wells into a half-wells too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:45 pm • # 16 

I love the feel and look of the Fenwick grip......planning on shaping one for my 1wt Dan Craft.....hope it doesnt look too out of place.

David

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:01 pm • # 17 
Administrator

Quote:
I love the feel and look of the Fenwick grip......planning on shaping one for my 1wt Dan Craft.....hope it doesnt look too out of place.
I bet it will look perfect! Just don't make it too thick--I've done that a couple of times on light rods and had to mount the rod on the lathe to fix it, which is much harder than just turning the grip to the proper diameter and putting it on the blank. A grip that feels great in the mandrel, sometimes feels too thick on a very small diameter blank.

I wrap about 20 winds of masking tape around the end of the reel seat and mount it in a 4-jaw chuck, and then you need some kind of steady-rest on the other end to keep the blank from whipping around. Then you put the lathe on the lowest possible speed and hold your breath Image

Something like this except buy or make one with urethane wheels.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:25 am • # 18 

Thanks!

Not to steal the thread.....but this is the grip I shaped for my 4wt Lami. I got a grip from Golden Witch then customized it for extra length and smaller diameter.

David

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:41 am • # 19 

I like that David! You did good work!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:36 am • # 20 
Administrator

Looks great David!

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply