It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Aquanova lines?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:45 pm • # 1 

Anyone ever try their dt2 line? is it decent enough to use?

Janus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:06 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Never tried them, but I'm interested in knowing more about them. The price is really good.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:54 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Not sure who makes Auquanova lines. I was told that the big three are SA, Rio, and Cortland made all the domestic lines, but these feel different. Regretfully, I mentored a friend into buying some, and I was shocked to see the line had drips like water beads- perhaps a curing problem. He replaced the stuff with SA AirCell.

Most recently, I visited Sierra trading Post and bought some Albright 7WF that was marked Product of Canada. Interesting I had remembered seeing that Aquanova was produced there too and that the buyer reviews suggested the line would not hold a nail knot. Unfortunately this was true, so I resorted to creating loops for connecting leaders or backing. Let's leave it that I am skeptical of Aquanova's overall quality.

Having said all this pearow (Gene) likes them. He did mention that they should be cleaned often.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:55 am • # 4 

Northern Sport their AquaNova lines and lines for other labels also. The premium line is the best and the seconds are just fair.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:49 am • # 5 

I have bought a bunch of those lines, including the seconds. I had one bad line that was sticky and would not "shoot" thru the guides. The rest was about like the cortland 333 and the SA line air cell. I bought them because i needed lines to test rods with and buying 2 wts-9 wts. in both wf and dt is expensive. I have fished them, given a lot of em away, and still have a few. They are very serviceable. I especially like them in the lighter weights because i'm generally fishing for brim or bass in shorter distances. They float well, turn over and cast okay. not like the higher end expensive coatings line, but good enough that you dont notice the line while fishing. They do get dirty easily, I guess because they dont have the real slick coating like the more expensive lines. But, I clean my lines , sometimes while fishing. Charley Cypert taught me that; buy the little green box and occasionally just pull the line thru the pads with some line cleaner on it; this takes the scum off the line; good idea for dingy water.
I think the aquanova can be favorably compared to cabelas prestige, cortland 333, SA Air Cell, rio classic, and other similar lines. I dont fish any one line a lot so my lines last a long time. I guess if you fished the line every day, the line wouldn't last as long. Like any of the lines mentioned they develop memory when left on the line spool and need to be wound off the spool onto a larger spool or stretched in the sun occasionally. If i havent used a line in a while and forget to stretch it before fishing, I let it out in the water and drag it behind the boat when I'm moving to a new location; this stretches it and removes the kinks, just like mono on a spin reel. Thats my analysis; course i could be all wrong-p-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:19 pm • # 6 
Administrator

At their prices, perhaps I should use Genes method of keeping 'em for back ups.
http://flyangler.org/LINES.htm
Odd these gus don't carry it in 3wt
but the manufacturer doesn't show itin 2wt
http://www.flyline.net/fly_lines.htm
Oh well, I guess the got their lines crossed Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:50 pm • # 7 

Gene...I love my little green box and it gets used every trip. I come home and the line gets ran through there and buffed dry...I will need to clean my line before I fish again though...thanks for the reminder.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:25 pm • # 8 
Thanks for the replies. I am in need of a dt2 and it was on my list of lines I'd like to try out.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply