It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:43 pm • # 1 
Administrator

OK the topic says it all, what are your favorite UL fly lines and why are they your favorites? I can't say that I have found a favorite, but I really like the Hook & Hackle Hi-Floater line that I have.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:06 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I'm really impressed with the Sage Quiet Taper lines. I have a DT0F, and a WF1F, and both cast very well, land very softly, and pickup off the water without a lot of splash. Plus they don't exhibit the memory that my 1 wt Wonderline does, although I have to admit--once you stretch the Wonderline to straighten it (each time you fish), it too, casts very well.

I've also had very good luck with a Cortland 444SL WF2F. A slick line that casts very nicely. Unfortunately they don't make it in a 2 wt any longer.

Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:49 pm • # 3 

Sage Quiet Taper (3) My favorite UL line hands down but pricey.....I only buy it on sale
Cortland 444 Classic peach (1) Excellent line.......bought this one on a closeout
Hook & Hackle high floater (4) IMO-Best line for the money!

Doug

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:28 am • # 4 

I have a special love for my Wulff TT2F! It casts amazingly on shorter casts and it has a heavier taper to load the faster rods.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:13 am • # 5 

I am so impressed with the Airflo ribbed lines, they come off the water quicker with less water, just a wonderful casting line. In fact I now own 2, 3 weights, a 4 weight and a 7 weight nymph line, all are WF floating lines. If you have never tried one, treat yourself to an Airflo. Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:17 am • # 6 

PS regarding Wonderline dont care for em at all, they got more memory than Microsoft and they get dirty and stain very easily ..IMHO ..Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:27 am • # 7 
Administrator

I cut my fly fishing teeth on Orvis gear, since the only fly shop that's close is an Orvis dealer. I have a number of Orvis lines, and don't care for any of them at all.
Never tried an Airflo line, The Ridge line looks like it would be nice though.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:45 am • # 8 
Administrator

OK I'll jump in. Most of my UL lines are Orvis - The spring Creek series of lines are grey and have been serviceable.
I have a WF 2 by Cortland that I like very much. Although I am very impressed with my SA Trout Taper 3wt line- it really performs the best of the bunch- Very supple & low memory.
Mt DT1 and WF1 are made by Orvis and so far seem to wotk fine, yet there are issues with memory.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:47 am • # 9 
Administrator

Quote:
... I have a number of Orvis lines, and don't care for any of them at all.
I've had a couple Silver Label Orvis lines that were okay for fishing nymphs. The don't seem to float real high to start with and they seem to gunk up and start sinking pretty quickly. I've always gotten them on sale though, so I'm cool with it, and I did pickup a couple more spares for about $15 each from Sierra. For $15 I'm a *lot* less picky! Image

The Wonderline 1 wt. I have now is my first, and other than the horrible memory that Paul mentioned and I alluded to earlier, I like the way it casts, and it seems pretty slick. It came free with the rod though, and I'll probably replace it with something else when it wears out--maybe a Sage.

I started out with a Cortland 444 peach and fished nothing but Cortland for probably 7 or 8 years, including 444 SL's and 444 Lazerline's, in 2, 4, 5, and 6 weights. I don't think I've ever had a bad Cortland line--I just wished they made more lines in the 0-2 weight range.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:51 am • # 10 
Administrator

Jerry,
Until recently I had not owned many Cortland lines; to my surprise, these have been of excellent quality with a slick finish, supple in the hand, and of low memory.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:53 am • # 11 
Administrator

Okay Les, add one more thing to the list when we get together to go fishing.... I'd like to try your SA Trout Taper. I've heard great things about the whole Mastery series of lines--I sure wish they made them in 0-2 weights though.

Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:02 am • # 12 

Alot of the Flyshops obviously carry rods with reels loaded with fly lines for demo purposes. That was my first exposure to the Airflo lines I believe was on a demo TFO professional with a 5 weight. I took it out on the lawn in back of the shop and felt how nice it loaded, The owner of the shop (really nice guy to deal with) he is probably lurking on the web site if I know him. Put a WF4F line on a Hardy LRH that I had & told me to try it and if I didnt like it he would take the line back, BTW the name of the shop is "The River City Fly shop" and the owner is Don Nelson located I may add in Portland Oregon. Paul

Last edited by Guest on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:05 am • # 13 
Administrator

Jerry, I'm pretty sure that the Orvis Silver Label lines are nothing more than the SA Ultra 4 lines since SA makes all of Orvis's lines. I have a Gen 3 Wonderline WF3F that has a nice slick coating but the memory just kills me, same with the silver Label lines (sans slick coating).
I have one SA Mastery Trout line, it's a WF5F though so I don't use it much, but it is one of the best lines I've ever used. I hate paying the price for them though.
As for Cortland, I have a 444 Peach in a WF4f and like it. It's very supple, no memory but needs to be treated often. The Hook & Hackle line I have is very good for the price and made by Cortland to H&H's specs. Very supple, no memory and casts great. It needs treated too, but not quite as often as the 444.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:30 am • # 14 
Administrator

No problem

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply