It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:45 am • # 1 

My birthday is coming up in a few weeks and birthdays are as good of an excuse as any to get a new rod.

I'm looking at a few different rods, but i'm leaning toward the 6' 2wt Full Flex 3.0 Orvis Superfine Trout Bum. Has anyone fished this rod (or maybe even just cast it)? I saw one report on the internet where a guy tried it out. He said he was using 3wt line to get this shorter rod to load properly. I'm wondering if this little rod will load up with 2wt line for short casts with just a few feet of line off of the tip.

I'm also looking at the 000 Sage TXL (so i can go lighter than my 1wt), but i love the superfine line. : )

I'd test cast them but none of the local shops have the 602 or the Triple Ought in stock to try.

I'd also welcome advice on alternatives to these 2 rods or which rod you guys think might round out my quiver better.

My "quiver":

South Bend 6'6" 4 wt (more like a 5 or 5.5 weight"
Superfine Trout Bum 7'6" 1wt (new 4 piece model)
Superfine One Ounce 7' 4wt (older 2 piece model, nice and slow)
Helios 9' 5wt (for all of my heavy fishing, windy days, long casts, etc)

thanks for the help,

jds

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:19 am • # 2 
Administrator

I can't remember if I played with that Superfine 602 or not. I've messed with most of them though at the local Orvis dealer. I'd say that the rod would be just fine with a 2wt line, and I know that it gets good reviews on the Orvis website. The one that would probably need a 3wt line to load better would be the new Helios Ion 602.
It is a mid-flex 7.5 so it is a bit stiffer than the Superfine rods.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:51 pm • # 3 

thanks for the reply J.

I go back and forth on whether i want a shorter rod for my home waters, or one of Sage's 00 or 000 TXL to challenge the small fish i usually target. I'm loving the 1wt, but i see situations where i could go just a little lighter. : )

On the on the hand, i just have this soft spot for the Superfine series and i love short rods in general. : )

i'm hoping to make it over to Sevierville TN pretty soon and hopefully i can do some hands on with the 602 Superfine then. I just get anxious and want to hear what my fellow UltraLight Enthusiasts think.

jds

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:19 pm • # 4 

I would pick up the TXL 00.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:23 pm • # 5 

i've been considering that too. i actually have a spool of 00 Quiet Taper line laying around.

is there an advantage to the 00 over the 000? My only reasoning so far is that i should go ahead and go for the lightest TXL. Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:32 pm • # 6 

Well, the difference in line weights is negligible, but in my mind, they are all 1wts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:06 pm • # 7 

If you're looking for a short 2wt, keep looking, unless you have a really fast stroke. I had the 602/4 One Ounce, but ended up selling it. It's a terrific (sweet) 4wt and not a bad 3wt if you like to cast a short rod fairly long, but a 2wt line won't load it until you get 25-30 ft of line out, and even then, it's pretty fast. Of course, you should cast it yourself to see if you like it. On the plus side, it breaks down into the smallest, lightest package I've ever seen, if that matters to you.
-CC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:15 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Cross Creek one,
What you're describing sounds very much like my TFO 6' 2wt. Too fast for 2wt line in short distance but great with 4WF in distances up to 35 feet.
I would love to handle a short true 2wt.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:53 am • # 9 

JDS, so long as you're looking at rods in that price range, you might take a look at Scott Fibertouch rods, the new Hardy Glass rods (cheaper by a good measure), Steffen Bros. glass rods, and McFarland glass rods (willing to wait a year or so?). In a really short rod, glass just seems to communicate better than graphite (notice I didn't say cast better--I'll leave that up to the fisherman to decide). It's also tougher, which may be an advantage with the thin tips required for 1-2wt lines.
-CC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:09 am • # 10 
Administrator

cross creek one wrote:
JDS, so long as you're looking at rods in that price range, you might take a look at Scott Fibertouch rods, the new Hardy Glass rods (cheaper by a good measure), Steffen Bros. glass rods, and McFarland glass rods (willing to wait a year or so?). In a really short rod, glass just seems to communicate better than graphite (notice I didn't say cast better--I'll leave that up to the fisherman to decide). It's also tougher, which may be an advantage with the thin tips required for 1-2wt lines.
-CC
I've got to agree here. You may want to give Mark Steffen a call. While many folks are still in the dark as far as glass goes, it is a viable option in short rods.
Mark does make shorter light line glass rods at a very good price.
http://www.steffenbrother...ds.com/fiberglassrods.htm

He will also make a rod in just about any length that you want as long as it's feasible with the line weight and rod material. His blanks are on my short list. I want one in a bad way.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:16 am • # 11 

I appreciate everyones help and input.

i'm definitely going to do some checking on those glass rods.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:51 am • # 12 

Keebranch, hopefully we will get an opportunity to fish together soon, and I'll be sure to bring my dorber 5' 2wt.

All of this talk about fiberglass makes me curious. What's the fascination with glass?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:39 pm • # 13 
Administrator

Sean,
Glass, well it's sweet soft and slow. I'll be sure and bring my 6'6" Lami for you to try; from it you'll have an idea of the feel of most glass rods.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:31 am • # 14 

They are amazing! Certainly, they are limited due to the inherent weight, however, for what they do, they are amazing!

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply