It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:13 am • # 1 

I purchased a Cabela's tradition 6'6" 2wt last summer on clearance and a small medalist to go with it. After spending time with this setup I'm convinced that the medalist is a bit heavy for this rod at 5.25oz with line. I have tried an empty reel I had lying around that weighed in at 4.25oz and although it felt better, the center of gravity is still not where I would like it to be.

Can anyone suggest a suitable reel, new or old that would balance better with this rod, preferably a simple click/pawl reel? I like the looks of the Dennison ultra light reel, but the description on their site is a bit lacking. Also, for anyone else with this rod, does it perform better with a 3wt line?

Thanks,

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:18 am • # 2 

Matt, check out the Orvis BBS I for an affordable, lightweight reel.

The problem with the Dennison IMO, is the lack of a clicker. It is a compression drag reel, whereas the Orvis is a disc reel, with an audible clicker, and is warranty backed by any Orvis dealer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:49 am • # 3 
Administrator

Matt, welcome to the UL forums. Balancing some of the shorter UL rods can be a problem. Deciding on a reel can be tough, as price and end use will kind of determine where you should go. If your chasing panfish like me then a disc drag isn't needed. The little Dennison Ultralight weighs 2.2 oz empty and balances the shorter rods just about perfect. Despite the fact it has no clicker, the friction drag will work well enough for panfish and small trout. Many non adjustable clicker reels don't even have more resistance to spool over run than the Dennison. The Dennison is made here in the USA and it's affordable at $49.99.
http://www.dennisonspecia....com/servlet/Detail?no=18

It seem that when you are looking into a reel in the weight class that you will need for the short UL's then you take a huge step up in price when you look at something other than the Dennison. I know lots of folks will recommend the Orvis BBS1 for the short graphite UL's but quite frankly it's too heavy as well. You will need a sub 3oz reel.
Sage has the Click, Waterworks has the Purist, and Hardy has the Fly weight. All of these reels are expensive, but if price is no issue then I say jump on one of these.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:03 am • # 4 
Administrator

Bass Pro Shop's Classic UL Reel is priced high at $119 now I think, but it balanced out my 6' 0wt perfectly and is a sweet little clicker reel. Nicely machined. It weighs quite a bit less than the BBS I as well. I think you can only get them in black now though.

Jerry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:11 am • # 5 

Thanks,
The price is of concern with these lighter reels, as I have a hard time justifying the expense on a rod that I picked up for less than $20. It is unfortunate that the Dennison does not have a clicker as I really enjoy the sound when I hook into a nice gill. That said, right now I see my options as either picking up a Dennison, keeping the medalist in my pocket, or scouting the auctions for an older reel such as a martin.

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:12 am • # 6 

jkurtz7 wrote:
It seem that when you are looking into a reel in the weight class that you will need for the short UL's then you take a huge step up in price when you look at something other than the Dennison. I know lots of folks will recommend the Orvis BBS1 for the short graphite UL's but quite frankly it's too heavy as well. You will need a sub 3oz reel.
Sage has the Click, Waterworks has the Purist, and Hardy has the Fly weight. All of these reels are expensive, but if price is no issue then I say jump on one of these.

J.

By all means, the expensive reels are out there, but you can get a J. Austin Forbes weighing sub 2- sub 3- oz from fishpersonkev on ebay. Do a search for J Austin Forbes and send the seller a question asking for a 2.5" Avon if none are listed. They normally can be had for $120 with free shipping.

On short graphite, I like my reels a bit heavy, because at least that way, I know I am holding something, but on other materials, I like a bit of balance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:32 am • # 7 

That's a pretty good deal on the Avon, and should work out just right for my needs. I think I'll probably go with that as long as i can get my CFO to approve it.

Thanks,

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:39 am • # 8 

Them CFOs are a pain the neck sometimes, but if she aint happy, aint nobody happy!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:41 pm • # 9 

The Forbes Magnesium often sells for about $75 if you can find one. It also will hold a full length line. Personally, the Dennison is better looking on a rod but has no click and pawl. I had both reels out today. The Dennison and the Magnesium are the best value out there and will balance your rod. Don

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:19 pm • # 10 

Fishpersonkev has a few Magnesiums listed on that one auction site.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:43 am • # 11 

Hi Matt,

I fish with several Martins. They are light, inexpensive and you can have an audible clicker drag or you can turn it off and free spool. I have a 6'6" 2wt I fish with several reels; Orvis CFO123, Martin 61, 7 63 (LHW & RHW) Waterworks ULA P-1 and others. I think for the price of Martins on ebay $9 to $15 for a good used "tuna can" you should check these out!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:55 am • # 12 

Yeah, I've been thinking about those and actually have a Martin 60 and a simplicity 6 on the way to try out. Right now I've got it set up with an old Shakespeare 7491 that belonged to my father. It's a cheap reel made in Japan, but it does balance the rod out much nicer than the medalist I had on it previously.

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:08 am • # 13 

Did you win that Simplicity 6 the other night on the bay?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:26 am • # 14 

Yeah, got it for like $6.50 I think. I'll wait until it arrives, but I think I got quite the deal on it.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:22 am • # 15 

Just wanted to update this thread.

I Got the Simplicity 6 and Martin 60 in the mail this weekend. Loaded up with a full length wf2 line and backing the simplicity comes in at 3.5oz and balances just right on the Cabela's tradition 2wt. Haven't tried the Martin yet, but I guess I can always look for another rod to put it on or pick up a 3wt line to try out with this rod.

Matt

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply