It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 50 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:21 pm • # 1 

What's your favorite ultralight (0-4wt) modern click pawl reel?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:18 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I have a sage 3100 large arbor clicker and it serves me well.

As for my Ross Colorado 0 it's one of my favorites, and qualifies for my never trade list.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:08 am • # 3 

I liked the Waterworks Purist 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:58 am • # 4 

For minimalist design, high tech materials and construction, and overall toughness, the Waterworks ULA Purist (P1, P2). For a modern classic that's bulletproof, beautiful, and simple, the Hardy Lightweight (Flyweight, Tealweight, and Featherweight). For a current reel that takes a classic design and updates it with current materials and methods, all at a bargain price, the Cortland Retro I. For a true icon, incorporating a ground breaking design with classic mid-century methods and materials, durable enough to still be on the water after decades of use despite a supposedly inferior (to bar stock) cast frame, the Hardy-made Orvis CFO (II, 123, and III).
CC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:27 am • # 5 

I'm with Keebranch that the 3100 is pretty awesome. I have not tried the Purist reels....but if I factor in cost I think the 3100 is my favorite. The Click series is very nice, but the minor weight reduction over the 3100 does not justify the additional cost (to me). Although I do like the extra porting in the spool on the Click reels.

However, all of this could change if I am successful in my current attempts to have Abel build me a TR light with a custom bluegill finish. I am keeping track of the progress as things develop here: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=5739

It's not going to be cheap, but I'm prepared for that. And the aesthetic of the bluegill fish graphic should trump the cost factor (for me). It would be a "once in a lifetime" reel. But I doubt I will ever get rid of my 3100. The large arbor design is tough to beat, which is why my vote is for the 3100.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:32 am • # 6 

Great post CC. I tend to favor the traditional reels like the ones you mentioned -- especially the Hardy LRH series. I have and still fish a LRH Lightweight that I bought over 30 years ago. I've been looking for a British made Hardy Featherweight and have always wanted a CFO but could never find either one within my budget. I'd want a vintage one, not the newer reels. I've got a couple of Orvis reels I fish regularly too -- a (BFR-made) Battenkill 3/4 and a Battenkill MKIII (I think Hardy-made). Both are solid designs, well built on lightweight platforms.

I don't own a reel made after 1990, So I know squat about modern reels. I do know that the ones I have and fish work as well as they did when they were first made. Why switch?

My question about modern reels is more about what is out there, in a click pawl, lightweight, solidly built, with a traditional design and look?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:09 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Pat,
When you're asking about traditional looks, are you looking at reels like the Cortland retro? Or reels that have a traditional look like a ross Colorado?

These are all in the $100 range. What is your budget?

Les

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:30 pm • # 8 

I too am a big fan of the 3100 Sage. Once I tried the larger arbor, it was hard to go back to my smaller diameter reels. I've been busy this year trying to acquire as many used reels and spools as I could afford on retirement. I still like many of the retro reels mentioned and line coil is not quite the problem it used to be with the smaller diameter reels. Like many of us, I rarely need a disk drag for the majority of trout I catch in small streams and rivers. Naturally, larger water and fish require a little more.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:44 pm • # 9 

I think I misunderstood the original post, as I thought you were looking for "modern" click-pawl reels, and not just "current production" and availability of "traditional" reels. Having no "modern" reels of my own, I don't have a favorite, but I like the looks and feel of the new Hardy Ultralight CC series as a click-pawl modern option. It's weight though may preclude it from balancing well with most ultralight rods.

Other than that, when it comes to click-pawl reels, I fall squarely into the Hardy "traditional" camp, regardless of where they are currently being produced. The Perfects, and St. Georges are still made in Alnwick (and their price reflects it) but the Bougles, Lightweights, and Cascapedias are all wonderful examples of quality Asian produced products. And to my eye and hands, every bit as nice, but at a fraction of the price. If you love your LRH and are looking for a Featherweight to compliment it, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a new one based upon any quality concerns.

Being a Hardy reel fan, and only owning (and loving) traditional reels (Perfect and LRH), a reel that has really surprised and impressed me, but is way "outside the box" for me, is the new Hatch Finatic 1 Plus. It isn't "traditional" in any sense, a bit pricey ($350), and has a sealed disc drag. So it doesn't meet your click-pawl requirement. But even with the disc drag, it's very light and seems perfectly tailored to ultralight use. (At 2.8 oz. it's about the same weight as a Hardy Flyweight.) As far as "modern" reels go, it is at the top of my want list. Even above the Hardy.

But then again, I may never own a "modern" reel, as a Hardy St. George Junior and/or Baby Bougle are currently vying for my limited "reel" funds.

---David

Cross Creek: Nice to see your posts showing up as Cross Creek and not someone else!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:49 pm • # 10 

I'll always opt for a reel with a little bigger diameter and a narrower spool. It makes for quicker line retrieive, fewer line coils and the line is not coiled as tightly as it is with a smaller diameter, wider spool.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:57 pm • # 11 

David, I was not aware of the new ultralight Hatch reel. I just checked it out. Very cool. Strangely the next size up is double the weight! I wonder how they were able to get a reel with drag that light?!? That's the same weight territory as some of the lightest click pawl reels I've seen. I'm going to read up on these. I like it in black.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:24 pm • # 12 

I was out of reach of the net during the move, so I never saw any problems with the posts. Overall, this has been a very user-friendly transition, at least from the member end. The glass and bamboo forums' moves went well, too. Too bad we can't just log on in one place anymore to have access to all three, and I kind of miss the photo albums (I've never cared for photo buckets) but those are minor hassles compared to those plaguing the hosting site formerly known as EZboards!
CC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:19 am • # 13 

I HATE click and pawl reels!! I remember many times fishing the White or Norfolk rivers using my 8 1/2', 4-wt rod with a click and pawl reel and the **** reel made so much noise that I thought everyone on the river could hear my reel, at least it sounded that loud to me! I was so happy when I finally bought a reel that didn't make SO MUCH NOISE!!! They should outlaw click and pawl reels. >:(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:30 am • # 14 

Easy Cliff... take a deep breath..... :lol

Rock and Roll or Country? Classical or Jazz? Hip-Hop... well... Music to some. Noise to others.

And I will admit that some reels (Hardy's Lightweight series for example) could be used as great noise-makers for New Year's Eve parties.

And for the record, I really like loud music. (And Hardy Lightweights)

---David

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:55 am • # 15 

Ryobi 255MG. One of the lightest in weight. Not to loud. Wider range, more useful drag than most other click pawl reels. Good line and backing capacity. Palming rim. Reasonablly priced, compared to Hardy, Sage and most others. Install a cork arbor and it becomes a mid or large arbor reel.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:26 pm • # 16 

I've seen but never handled one and have heard they are nice. Magnesium frame, right? Based on Hardy dual pawl design? They occasionally come up on Ebay. What's a fair price to pay for one of these reels?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:40 pm • # 17 
Administrator

Pat,
Ryobi magnesium reels are intersting. I've seen them go as high as $100 with box and papers - these specimens are of interest to collectors. I think a range of 40 - $70 depending upon condition is fair.

Les

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:18 pm • # 18 

Hardy Flyweight and Featherweight.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:12 pm • # 19 

Yeah! they are the best. i love my LRH lightweight... i want a featherweight bad but it is over my budget. i'm gonna hope to get lucky and pluck one at a bargain price on Ebay. i m tryin... others i like: Orvis CFO (hardy); Abel light trout; JA Forbes Avon;

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:37 pm • # 20 

I have a Redington Drift that I've used over the summer that I like a lot, and I just picked up an Abel TR light. They both have a nice sound - but I haven't heard the Abel with line on it yet. I'm sure it will subdue the sound just a bit.

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 50 posts ] New Topic Add Reply