It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 50 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:07 am • # 21 

A question sure to raise 40 opinions from 10 people.
I have to go with the classic Hardy LRH Lightweight. The sense of history, with that incredible build quality, all part of the Hardy experience. Have to say I am new to the tech side of things, so there is my bias showing. I am trying to get into the hi-tech field so that I may have a more rounded opinion.
Thanks for the question, it got me thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:09 pm • # 22 

I have to say my Waterworks Purist 1. It's light, large arbour and can be palmed.

I dont like reels that can not be palmed ;D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:05 pm • # 23 

The Kineya 301A is a delight at 94 grams. Exquisite to tell the truth.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:08 pm • # 24 

The Vision GT is also a winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:03 pm • # 25 

I picked up a couple of the Forbes Magnesium reels, and they are VERY light - 2.2 ounces. They balance perfectly on my 5'8" Cabelas CGR glass rod, and I'm going to bet will balance very nicely on longer very light rods too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:54 pm • # 26 

i like the Old Florida 234 [url]
pb-image...[/url] for my LL 3 weight

and the marryat cmr 3/4 for my orvis graphite 2 weight.

still looking for a reasonably priced orvis graphite and a loop/danielsson midge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:09 pm • # 27 

Since most of my reels are standard arbor Ill have to add another reel!

Marquis #2/3 and #4 is my go to reels when I fish UL bamboo rods. I have two of each size. The smaller arbor calls for more line tangle and less smoothness. But what the Marquis lacks in arbor size, it takes back in looks :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:15 pm • # 28 

I just purchased 2- Hardy Ultralite 2000 CC (click & Pawl) reels. I know some won't like these new Hardy models because they are Korean manufacture, but they are very nice reels! I already own a DD (disc drag) model of this reel and it's "sweet"!

I'll post some inside and out photos of the reel after I receive them.

Randy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:23 pm • # 29 

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures and detailed comments of the Hardy CC reels. I'm trying to decide between the 1000 and 2000 models myself.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:32 pm • # 30 

skyfireblaze wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures and detailed comments of the Hardy CC reels. I'm trying to decide between the 1000 and 2000 models myself.

Not sure if you are aware, but the diameters of the CC models are in error on most web store specs. list. The specifications came out wrong from Hardy and most stores haven't corrected the mistake.

Here is one source that quotes the correct specifications and these numbers are confirmed from an email reply I received from Hardy.
http://www.content-angler.com/hardyultralightreels.html

Randy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:32 pm • # 31 
Administrator

I've handled the Hardy CC reels and they are nice and well made. They look like they belong on one of the hoopties that cruise my hood though. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:06 pm • # 32 

CBarclay wrote:
I've handled the Hardy CC reels and they are nice and well made. They look like they belong on one of the hoopties that cruise my hood though. :)

Can't argue with that, they do have "bling" written all over them! :lol

Randy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:26 pm • # 33 

Randy,

I've been trading emails with a Hardy CS rep. regarding the reel diameter and weights. The diameters shown on that website you linked to are within 0.05" of the dimensions I got from Hardy - close enough!

I just need to decide if the 0.1 oz difference in weight between the 1000 and 2000 will make any real difference to me. ::) I don't really care about differences in backing capacity when using a 3wt line.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:53 pm • # 34 

skyfireblaze wrote:
Randy,

I've been trading emails with a Hardy CS rep. regarding the reel diameter and weights. The diameters shown on that website you linked to are within 0.05" of the dimensions I got from Hardy - close enough!

I just need to decide if the 0.1 oz difference in weight between the 1000 and 2000 will make any real difference to me. ::) I don't really care about differences in backing capacity when using a 3wt line.

I hear ya on that, and agree.

For me the choice of the 2000 for my small rods is just a matter of the diameter I felt looked the best on my intended rods. It's amazing how much difference in appearance even an 1/8" makes to the eye on smaller diameter reels. In this case it's closer to 3/16" between the 1000 & 2000 and it really looks different on the rod.

If it doesn't look good it won't catch fish..., right? :lol

Randy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:25 am • # 35 

skyfireblaze wrote:

Sorry for the delay of the promised photos. I did get a pair of the 2000 CC reels and first impressions are excellent! I will post some detailed photos soon, just super busy at work right now and barely getting time on the forums between a couple cups of coffee each day! :lol

Randy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:15 am • # 36 

Not a problem Randy. Work has a habit of getting in the way of my fishing and internet time too. Of course, without that job, I wouldn't have any fishing or internet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:45 am • # 37 

Sinkline wrote:
CBarclay wrote:

Randy

I agree - total excessive bling. The only thing more obnoxious would be gold plated. :eek Well...maybe an outside disk that spins at a different speed than the spool too...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:18 pm • # 38 

sbreech wrote:
Sinkline wrote:
CBarclay wrote:

Randy

I agree - total excessive bling. The only thing more obnoxious would be gold plated. :eek Well...maybe an outside disk that spins at a different speed than the spool too...
I certainly see the reference to "spinners" (and other current wheel styles) when it comes to the styling of the Hardy CC (and DD) reels. But I see that reference in almost any large arbor reel made these days. Personally, I really don't consider the Hardy CC reels with their black foot and clear anodizing as having any more "bling" than a similarly colored Orvis BBS.

Being a traditional reel lover, I personally like the looks of the Orvis BBS reels much better. But if I just consider large arbor reels, my own opinion is that the Hardy's are some of the best looking reels in the genre.

Having played with one or two of the Hardys, I can also say that I found them very smooth operating, and well finished. So if you like the looks, (or even if you don't) I doubt you'd be disappointed in their performance. (Other than they may be too heavy to balance well with some UL rods.)

---David

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:27 pm • # 39 

the pflueger supreme #1834 is a great little reel if you can find one-p-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:27 pm • # 40 

Have to vote for the early Orvis CFOs. The I, II, 123, and even the III ... hard to beat a reel designed by Stan Bogdan, and built by Hardy. The function is clean and reliable. The design is elegant, and the reels keep their value as the years pass.

BKill
http://therustyspinner.com

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 50 posts ] New Topic Add Reply