It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: New UL Reel From LL Bean
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:29 am • # 1 

I got my new LL Bean fishing catalog today and in it is a new UL reel called the Pocket Water. This new reel looks very similar to the Cortland Retro but with a slightly different porting scheme. It's priced right at 79.00. Neither the catalog or the website give any specs on the reel which is a little frustrating, so I'm going to call Bean and see what I can find out. Along with the new reel is a Pocket Water rod series that looks pretty sharp but only has one UL rod. I also got the new Orvis catalog and saw some new rods in the Clearwater series that look interesting so I guess I'll pay a visit to the Orvis store and do some casting in the coming days. Anyway just a little headsup.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:38 am • # 2 

Very interesting. There is an LL Bean factory store down the road from me. I will have to check it out. They usually don't start to stock up for a month or more from now.

Also, they always have a sale in the spring where any Bean branded fishing item and flies are 20% off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:10 am • # 3 

Thanks for the heads up on the reel and the sale. Gotta love the free shipping!

Wish Cabelas had free shipping... They're pretty strategic about not letting their sales coincide with free shipping offers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:34 pm • # 4 

FYI, I had no luck finding out the weight by live chat, but I emailed LL Bean and they responded with

"This reel weighs 4 ounces and that is our manufacturing specified weight.This reel is set for 3 - 5 weight lines."

That's not as lightweight as I had hoped, but the price is right. I'm hoping my local store in Dedham will get some in stock so I can handle it, but they've downsized their fishing section to make room for more clothes ::) so I'm not holding my breath.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:06 pm • # 5 

For a handful of dollars more, you can always look into the Forbes reels. They have a pretty nice ultralight reel:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290615209870?ss ... 1423.l2649

http://www.jaustinforbes.com/avon.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:01 pm • # 6 

I called LL Bean today and was told the reels aren't in stock yet. They didn't even have the specs but will post them on their website when the reels hit the floor. He did point out that this reel has a full cage beneath the skirted spool so that might account for the 4oz number.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:15 pm • # 7 

Here is the link and a view of the backside of the Pocket Water reel:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/72813?pi ... d_shopping

I just went to the mailbox and the new LL bean catalog was in there with a picture

This reel looks nice enough with front machining that mirrors the rear, but the 4 oz weight would be a deal breaker.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:41 am • # 8 

Hi all. Here are the official numbers gotten from LL Bean's chat help.

Richard: Here are all the sizing specs including capacity.Weight
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.85 oz.

Dimensions
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reel Diameter: 2 7/8"
Spool Width: 7/8"
Capacity- Line Weight/Backing: WF 3, 90/20; WF 4, 70/20; WF 5, 50/20.
Gear Ratio: Click and pawl drag System

Since I live on the left coast, I ordered one to see how it is in person since apparently no one else in the entire internets did and/or bothered to post a review. It'll be arriving shortly.

- Albert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:53 am • # 9 

Albertyi, welcome to the forum. Thanks for taking the plunge on the Pocket Water reel. I'm looking foward to your review. What other reels do you have to compare it to?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:57 am • # 10 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
sbreech wrote:
For a handful of dollars more, you can always look into the Forbes reels. They have a pretty nice ultralight reel:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290615209870?ss ... 1423.l2649

http://www.jaustinforbes.com/avon.html

X2
I have the Avon in Black it is a nice reel and use it back up my Colorado 0 now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:57 pm • # 11 

lonefisherman wrote:
Albertyi, welcome to the forum. Thanks for taking the plunge on the Pocket Water reel. I'm looking foward to your review. What other reels do you have to compare it to?

Thanks for the welcome. For the price point on a 100%-satisfaction-guaranteed lifetime-warrantied machined-aluminum fly reel (and a 15%-off LL Bean coupon code on top of that), it's hard not to bite.

As far as other reels to compare to, nothing that small. For comparison, I have a Martin Classic MC56, a Pfleuger Supreme 1856, a Galvan Rush R6, and a Galvan Rush R8. Since I have the range from cheap-made-in-China-K-Mart-special to special-ordered-and-handcrafted-in-a-remote-Sierra-town, I'll be keeping a close eye on fit, finish, and balance.

I'll be loading it up with Sage Ultimate Performance Taper Freshwater in 3 weight (and maybe Silver Label in 4 weight if I can make a trip out to my local Orvis this weekend to make use of in-store discounts... yes it's only $24 online but discounts are discounts! :P ).

Speaking of discounts, I'll be posting a huge fatty discount on rods that I discovered last night in a separate post.

- Albert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:58 pm • # 12 

Looking forward to the review.

---David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:31 am • # 13 

Utah David wrote:
Looking forward to the review.

---David

Second that!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:12 am • # 14 

Well, work's been really crazy so I haven't been able to type anything up until now. What I can say is that though the reel is a tad on the heavier side than other similarly-sized reels, it balanced my TFO 3wt Finesse quite well. Fully loaded with an Orvis Gen 3 Wonderline Trout Easy Mend WF3F and 100 yards of 20# backing, it puts the rod's balance point right at the widest part of the grip. The clicker was a bit loud in the living room, but outside in the park it sounded nice stripping the line off the reel. I can only imagine the clicker mellowing out a bit after some use. Fit and finish were acceptable. There was a bit of play of the spool on the shaft. Reeling would sometimes cause the spool to shift back and forth ever so slightly on the shaft, but that's something I can live with.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:04 pm • # 15 

Today I was rained out from work. And just by chance today was the day I got my new Pocket Water reel. Fit and finish are very nice, with the spool fitting tightly to the frame. The reel has a pleasant purr to the click/pawl. Size wise it reminds me somewhat of my Battenkill 3/4 spring/pawl reels except it has a full cage behind the palming rim. If you can live with the weight, (3.8oz empty), this might be something for you all to look into. When loaded it will balance my graphite UL rods in the middle of the grip, just where I like it. I took advantage of the 15% off from Bean, making the cost of the reel 67.15 to my door. For that price it's an outstanding buy. To me it compares very favorably to the Cortland Retro. It looks like the two reels share some parts, so I'm curious to know if their made in the same factory. More to come when I'll compare the two on the water.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:43 pm • # 16 

I love my new Pocket Water. As stated before, the warranty, free shipping, 15% off coupon, and machining makes it hard to beat. Mine balances my LaCrosse 2wt really well. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:34 am • # 17 

A couple of photos.
I like the looks of gloss black metal latch cover, counter weight and drag adjustment knob. The click and pawl system is interesting, a variation of the Hardy Lightweight series.
Overall nice classic styling and great value.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply