It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:06 pm • # 1 

I was just over at the St Croix website looking at flyrods and seen for 2012 the Legend Ultras have been discontinued >:( They still make the Avid and the Imperial in a 2 and 3wt rods and also the Legend Elite has one 3wt model.I guess I should have keep my 3wt Ultra :( I had an Avid 7ft 3wt, it was a very nice rod, just a bit slower action than the Ultra..Does anybody have or used a new Imperial rod?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:13 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I've fished the Imperial 6' 2wt, and it's one fine rod, I'd like to have one. It seems to get no love, but it should.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:50 am • # 3 

I have a 4-pc, 7', 3-wt Imperial that I absolutely LOVE! I had originally bought a 2-pc but broke it more than once at the ferrule. The last time I broke it they sent me a 4-pc because they had quit making the 2-pc. The 4-pc is a bit slower than the 2-pc was, which I like even better.

My favorite rod, which is my trout rod, is a 2-pc, 8.5', 4-wt Avid. Then my bass rod is a 2-pc, 9', 6/7-wt Imperial which I've had for about 13 years.

St. Croix had a great service department and they absolutely stand by their guarantees.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:06 am • # 4 

I hope to see the Legend Ultra line return with a new and better lineup like they did recently with the Imperial series.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:52 pm • # 5 

Thats a shame, I have a 3wt Ultra and really like it. The Ultra is the most sensitive UL fly rod I own.
I can feel my fly bounce and bump over every little stone or weed on the bottom, and a wonderful "fish-on" feel. I am with DW on this one......I sure hope they bring the series back...Not sure what they could do to improve it......other than reducing the price.
BTW...........If it is being discontinued, be on the lookout for any of the shops "dumping" them at a reduced price...............Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:58 pm • # 6 

Cabela's blew them out last year Don, I almost rebought the same 3wt rod that I sold a while back but resisted. Haven't seen too many other clearances on them. Sometimes they show up on ebay but not in many numbers that I've noticed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:04 pm • # 7 

DW.....You probably should have jumped on one while they were on sale. They are a wonderful little rod and i am sure you miss the one you had. The ULTRA was the most expensive UL fly rod I have bought to date. (Haven't regreated it either)
...............Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:03 pm • # 8 

Guys,

On the St Croix website, if you go to the "Shop" link, then to the "Bargain Room" you will find the Legend Ultras and other rods on clearance to purchase.

They still have the 7'6" 2wt listed at $217................................ so there you go.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:44 pm • # 9 
Administrator

The Legend Ultra 2wt is a very nice rod.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:36 am • # 10 

MakoML wrote:
Guys,

On the St Croix website, if you go to the "Shop" link, then to the "Bargain Room" you will find the Legend Ultras and other rods on clearance to purchase.

They still have the 7'6" 2wt listed at $217................................ so there you go.

Thanks MakoML , I didn't even check that area out on the website.I might have to try out the Ultra 2wt for only $217 bucks..but I am kinda curious about the Imperial 2wt rod also..****, I might have to buy both :rollin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:02 pm • # 11 

I own a couple 5wt's I need to part with watch for listings soon.... One never used One had tip section replaced at factory.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:02 am • # 12 

MakoML wrote:
Guys,

Thanks for posting this, after reading the 2wt shootout and seeing the St. Croix 2wt was highly regarded I ordered one. Still need to find a reel and load it with line. Leaning to the Cortland Retro or Redington Drift click and pawl reels but no one local has them so I can see how they balance on the rod.

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply