It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Good 2 wt for panfish
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:28 am • # 1 

I've been reading this forum for awhile but was never a member until today. I've learned a lot just from reading this site but I have a question that I havent seen answered. I have never owned or even casted a UL rod (I have a sage FLI 5 wt and old Powell 7/8 wt my dad gave me) but this niche of the sport has really sparked my interest. My question is, what is a good 2 wt panfish rig? I have been looking at a few but my knowledge of manufacturers is pretty limited. So far I've found

1. TFO finesse 7'3" 2 wt ($180)
2. st croix imperaial 6' 2 wt ($150)
3. TFO signature 6' 2 wt ($109)

I would definitely like to keep the price under $200 and I even lean more towards $150. Being that it will primarily be a panfish rod I was thinking shorter would be better for throwing little poppers and the like. I am leaning more towards the finesse because it seems more versatile. What do yall think? Any other rods that yall would suggest?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:34 am • # 2 
Administrator

Welcome to the UL forums. If I were to pick one of the three rods you listed, I would personally choose the TFO Finesse. It's true to line weight and has a nice moderate action. The St. Croix is so new that I haven't had the chance to try one, but will soon enough. The TFO Signature is kind of stiff, and not really a 2wt, it's more of a 3/4wt. I'm not fond of it at all. The finesse, since it's longer would be more versatile, and it's mid flex action more forgiving.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:25 pm • # 3 

Another option for your price range is the Cabela's LST 2wt. Also, you may be able to find an Elkhorn 8' 2wt.

I have to agree that the TFO is a 3/4, but the Finesse is a sweet little stick.

Don't discount the St. Croix Avid 7'6" 2wt. It is a bit over your high price ($10 high), but it is by far the lightest affordable mid-length 2wt I have seen. The flex is a solid med-fast.

What action rod do you prefer? I am guessing that from your other rods, a faster rod suits your tastes. The LST is a relatively fast rod for a 2wt, but throws a 2wt line well, and the Finesse is a medium action rod.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:55 pm • # 4 

Bass Pro's 6' 3" (3) 3wt White River Classic ultralight IM-7 graphite rod. $119.00 (It says 3wt. I use a WF2F or DT2F this is slower than my 6'6" rain-shadow 2wt.) Stone Creek 3/4 wt. reel. $40.00 This is kind of heavy but I own two and they have taken a lot of abuse for cheep-o reels. Check online for a deal on 2wt. line you can find something for under $30.00 usually. I think there is a thread in here somewhere that linked to cheep line. This should put you out the door right at $200.00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:17 pm • # 5 

I was leaning towards the TFO finesse, its a little more expensive but i think its the most versatile option I have. Thanks for the info

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:26 pm • # 6 

well, for my money the best inexpensive two weight on the market is the cabela's one weight. I have the Clear creek and its a honey, but its not a 1, but a nice little 2 weight; inexpensive too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:35 pm • # 7 

Gene, the Clear Creeks are no longer available, much to the dismay of UL fans.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:06 pm • # 8 

well, then that makes my clearcreek one even more valuable than before; thanks Andy!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:43 pm • # 9 

Ok so what reel would balance the 2 wt 7'3" TFO finesse? I've heard a lot of good things about the orvis bbs 1, is that a good match? What line do yall like, does a 2 wt WF match it well?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:24 am • # 10 
Administrator

The Orvis BBS1 will balance that rod, if that's the reel your after. For that rod, I think most folks probably use a WF line since that is what is most popular. Any good quality DT or WF line should work well.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:34 am • # 11 

The TFO Finesse 2 wt with Orvis BBS reel is my go to rod if wind is 20 or less. Great rod and lots of fun for panfish and
will even handle bigger fish if one gets on. My biggest on this rod was 6# black bass and 6# carp.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:46 am • # 12 
Administrator

RedRaider09,
You have lots of options.
If you're interested inkeeping it light, then you might consider a light vintage offering. Think aboput this: I have a few USA made Airex ablettes and other reels which have served me well, and I fully expect many of these 50 year old vintage reels to last another 50 years. They are very light and are durable as sherman tanks compred to some of today's $50.00 and under reels.
Les

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:44 am • # 13 

Keebranch speaks the truth.

You can easily pick up a very nice lightweight reel off of ebay for less than $20. Martin 60 and 61's, Gayle Simplicity #6, Olympic, and Pflueger Progress 60 and 80 all come to mind. These are all pretty much bullet-proof reels that have already lasted at least one lifetime and will more than likely last several more. Another advantage about these old reels is that when (not if) the bamboo bugs bites, they will all look right at home on cane rods.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:34 am • # 14 

Depends on what exactly you want the reel to do.

Do you want to have a disc drag?...or is click/pawl with rim control OK for you?

Do you like vintage (used) or do you want something new?

Arbor size a concern? Weight a concern? Price a concern? Brand name a concern? Country of origin a concern?

More than likely whatever you decide on will work and be fun to use.

David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:34 pm • # 15 

I have a Martin 60 and Gayle Simplicity 2 that are not being used at the moment. Either one would work well on that rod, but neither is leaving ;)

You can find Martins on ebay VERY cheaply most of the time, but they are so abundant that you should only buy NIB or near mint models to reduce the risk of rust or damage. Your choice of model number depends upon your choice of retrieval as the 60 is RHW only, while the other three are either right or left. The drags on these reels are light pressure non adjustable clickers. The Martin 61 and 63 are the small sized reels, being rated for 35 yards of WF8F line (that is without backing, so on a WF2F or WF3F line, you can expect 125-150 yds of 20# backing, and the 60 and 62 are slightly larger, being rated for 30 yards of DT6F (takes up about the same as a WF10F line IIRC. On that, you would be looking at 150+ yards of 20# backing with a WF2F or WF3F line. If you can find a Martin MG-3 reel affordably, you should take the plunge and spend the few extra dollars on it as that is a LIGHT weight reel that is affectionately known as the "Poor Man's Hardy). The click pawl drag is adjustable via a cammed adjuster knob, and the capacity is 30 yds of DT8F. That would be the ideal reel for your task.

For the Gayle Simplicity reels, specifically my #2, I figure it can hold half a DT2F line (what I would put on that TFO Finesse) and 25 yards of backing. The Simplicitys can be found cheap on ebay in models 1-6, and work just as well in LHW as RHW.

In the lower price ranges for reels in that size, you are looking at vintage click drag reels.

I hope I have been of some assistance.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:33 pm • # 16 
Administrator

Here's a good cheap one!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0347334700

Les

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm • # 17 
Administrator

RedRaider'09,
Here's a good tuna can on eBay and priced to go out the door. I am in no way associated with the seller:

go to eBay and put in item #110347334700

Les

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:38 pm • # 18 

I never considered a vintage reel like that, if they really have enough gas left in the tank to last me 20+ yrs I will definitely go that route. I am really interested in vintage tackle. It never occured to me but I would love to find an old ultralight rod and reel combo for under $50 and put some new line on it. I think im going to start hunting ebay for such a combo, Ill probably be posting lots of auctions on here to get yalls opinions on quality and overrall effectiveness. Thanks for all the info yal have really got me thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:53 am • # 19 
Administrator

RedRaider09 wrote:
I never considered a vintage reel like that, if they really have enough gas left in the tank to last me 20+ yrs I will definitely go that route. I am really interested in vintage tackle. It never occured to me but I would love to find an old ultralight rod and reel combo for under $50 and put some new line on it. I think im going to start hunting ebay for such a combo, Ill probably be posting lots of auctions on here to get yalls opinions on quality and overrall effectiveness. Thanks for all the info yal have really got me thinking.
You aren't really gonna find much in the way of vintage UL rods out there, not in 3wt or lighter anyway. I have what I consider to be an old school UL rod, a Fenwick Ferrulite 535. This is a vintage fiberglass 5' 3" 5wt. I did the CCS numbers on it and it's more of a 3wt and fishes that line weight just fine. It's not a cheap rod anymore though. I picked mine up in mint unfished condition for $35 about 7years ago, and now they go for over $200 on evilbay.
You may want to look for a deal on some of the "classic" graphite UL rods, something like an original Orvis superfine. You may not be able to find a killer deal on those either though.
As for reels, I personally don't care much for vintage reels. I do however like the discontinued Orvis (made in England) Battenkills with the click pawl drags, and the Orvis CFO click pawl reels ( the ones made in England also). I also like the Dennison Ultralight, which weighs 2.2 oz empty, and it is based on a vintage design, but is a contemporary reel. It works well in balancing the shorter graphite UL rods, and only costs $50 brand new.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:07 am • # 20 
Administrator

Redraider'09,
Unfortunately I must agree with J on the budget for vintage rods. But I have another thought- try posting your request along with your ideal budget constraints here on the WTB (want to buy)forum and see what pops up.

Les

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ] New Topic Add Reply