It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:41 pm • # 1 
Administrator

First let me apologize, as my photography skills are sub par at best. Anyway, I just wanted to review my Pac Bay 2wt. This is my favorite 2wt right now. I have a Matrix 6'6" 2wt as well, but the Pac Bay just feels better while casting and playing fish. The Matrix lacks feel overall. I built the Pac Bay from a Hook & Hackle kit, it's all Pac Bay components, just branded H&H.
The rod is full flex, and really does remind me of the origianl Orvis Superfine 6'6" 2wt known as the "One Ounce". It casts well in close, but if you are a good caster, you can get 60 feet out of it easy enough. I got this kit on sale for like $56 shipped so I just couldn't pass it up. I'm glad I didn't.

Jeremy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:59 am • # 2 

Jeremy,

I fell for the same kit. H&H said that the manufacturer screwed up on price and that the next shipment would have a price increase. I fell for it (I always do), but it really is a great little rod. The wall thickness at the female ferrule is a little scary and I make a conscious effort to not put it together too tightly (although it comes with a warranty). I also thought the grip was a little too large for a 6 1/2' rod so I turned it down a little.

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:13 am • # 3 
Administrator

Paul, I had to get it at the price they used to sell it for. Yeah the wall thickness is kind of scary, but it holds up well. I had to get a new tip section though since mine broke before I even put finish on the wraps. It's one of my favorite rods though.
Your right, the components are way out of proportion for the rod, but I build it with them anyway. Since they sent me a whole new blank, I just built the tip section and used it on the old butt section. I still have the new butt section and I will probably build that up with a shorter grip and cork seat.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:49 am • # 4 

Would you use the Jann's grip/seat?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:53 am • # 5 
Administrator

Probably. Janus brought his Forecast build to the Expo and I got to check out the Jann's grip/seat and it's nice for the money.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:58 am • # 6 

Great for $11! Awesome...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:36 pm • # 7 
Administrator

That's a slick looking rod J! I like the maroon wraps--looks classy. Amazing price too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:03 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Thanks Jerry. The wraps are actually candy apple red with permagloss finish. It darkens the thread a bit and you get a bit of translucence. The light is bad in that pic, I suck at photography.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:57 pm • # 9 
thanks for the post J. I'm slowly working on the same blank now.
Janus

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply