It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Another cane convert
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:06 am • # 1 

Met up with Sean at lunch. He was interested in the 6' Franken-banty I finished out of a 9' production rod. These projects are usually dogs, but this one turned out and the price was therefore right. Les and Jerry were casting it a couple of weeks ago and all were impressed with its smoothness. Sean proved no exception, right hand, left hand, over the shoulder, all was good. Not a true UL, but it feels way lighter than the line weight would indicate, in part because of the bamboo grip and seat. The wind was howling, but the rod didn't seem to mind. A nice companion to the Lil Streamer. No camera, but hopefully Sean will post some pix soon. Don

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:08 pm • # 2 

As I said in my PM to you, it was nice to meet you. I did find the rod to be much easier to cast than what I expected--especially in the hurricane force winds today. I've paired it with a Martin Classic MG45. I hope to actually get it out and fish it this week. The bamboo grip and reel seat are quite appealing. I think it makes for a very unique rod. Now, I have to experiment with lines to find the right line.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:07 pm • # 3 

Went out today. I missed a few fish, so I'm still waiting on my first fish on cane. I may have been a bit timid with the hookset.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:23 am • # 4 

There really isn't much to the hookset with cane or other ULs for that matter. Just try to get the line taut. That rod is not one to be timid about, but obviously you want to take care. I await that first fish. Don

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:57 am • # 5 

If you want to avoid lifting hard to set the hook, use a strip set. When a fish takes, strip line in, and lift the rod a bit. It does the work for you and you don't have the extra strain on the rod.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:37 am • # 6 

There are days on ponds when I can only hook fish I can see take the fly. The fish will do a slow inspection, then mouth the fly and spit it back out. The tippet and leader never moves at all. You have to strip strike when you see them close their mouth. Sometimes you can get the fish excited enough to mob the fly and attempt to snatch it quickly and turn away. They hook themselves then. Don

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply