It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4   [ 61 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Favorite UL Reel
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:07 am • # 41 

Loop / Danielsson Midge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:35 pm • # 42 

Dennison Fly Lite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:48 am • # 43 

ibookje wrote:
Loop / Danielsson Midge

I agree 100%

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:13 pm • # 44 

1. 3-Tand TF-20. Machined, fully-sealed drag (can't imagine I need that on a 2- or 3-wt, but hey ...), 3.0 oz. QUIET.
2. Orvis Battenkill I and II, the only thing they have in common with the 3-Tand is that it's fully machined. Tough little reel, though, and I like the narrow profile. 2.8 oz and 2.9 oz respectively.
3. Vosseler RC-1 is growing on me. A bit on the heavy side at 3.6 oz, but bulletproof and I like the "whirr."

I have not decided whether I like the Danielsson Midge yet; we're working on our relationship. I think the BVK is a nifty little reel, though the clicker is a bit soft (overruns are common). I recently mislaid mine with a brand new Rio Creek WF1F spooled-up. It's so damned light, I'm afraid it got balled-up with some trash and sent outside, but I hold out hope and keep poking around the furniture and dumping bags hoping it will reappear. The Redington Zero seems sturdy enough, but it's the one I reach for least often. Not my favorite. I have a couple of the Maxcatch Drift copies (Ultralight Reel for Trout or something like that) -- they seem solid.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:53 pm • # 45 

My Shakespeare International 2851 (magnesium) weighs 3.07 oz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:36 pm • # 46 

C.F.O. I

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:28 pm • # 47 

Well first for I have to say that I have tried several, still have several.
#1 Redington Zero 2/3 2.6oz and large arbor. Have
#2 Orvis Battenkill. Light but small arbor. Had
#3 Orvis CFO I, not as light as the Zero or Battenkill and small arbor. Have
#4 Ryobi 255 I think it was, light, small arbor. Had a long time ago, never should have gotten rid or if.

My biggest issue is the arbor size. Just don’t like the small arbors to many coils from the small arbor even with putting as much backing as I can get on it .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:52 pm • # 48 

My favorite is the smallest Maxcatch Avid.

Machined, very good drag, easy to tear down and small enough to match my 1wt.

Aside from this one, I would use a Battenkill. Saw it at the Manhattan Orvis store and liked a lot.

I have owned Echo, TFO BVK and Piscifun. The Avid beats them all in my opinion. Image

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:10 pm • # 49 

The one on the left is a Probero and hosts my shooting head and line for my Owt . Notice the guide to keep the line from falling off the reel . The one on the right is a Fariland 3bb and smooth as silk . Both have Teflon disc drags and work well . The Fariland sees duty on my 1wt .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:09 am • # 50 

My favorites: Kineya 301A; Hardy JLH Ultralite #2/3/4; Abel Creek 1 large arbor and CRI (UFM Cantata) 2150 and 2200

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:22 pm • # 51 

I bought a complete setup a few years ago, and the reel was a Fish Creek 2 weight. It is an awesome little reel, and is paired with a beautifully made 6'6" rod home made on an American Tackle Matrix blank. an SA 2-eight line (model unknown) completed the package. It is my go-to ultralight setup. The whole thing cost me $165 in 2011. I wouldn't sell it for 2X that now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:29 pm • # 52 

Sage 3200
Ross Cimarron 1
Cortland Retro 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:56 pm • # 53 

Hardy Lightweight. What else?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:41 am • # 54 

mbarker68x wrote:
Well first for I have to say that I have tried several, still have several.
#4 Ryobi 255 I think it was, light, small arbor. Had a long time ago, never should have gotten rid or if.

My biggest issue is the arbor size. Just don’t like the small arbors to many coils from the small arbor even with putting as much backing as I can get on it .

Count my vote for the Ryobi. I used an old Ryobi 355 MG for a year or so until my boat partner fell on it one day. It was superb, 2.9 oz empty and very smooth. It has a wide diameter but small arbor, so you do have to fill it up with something. I used like 500m of cheap superbraid and even full it balanced my 0wt perfectly. They come up on the auction sites on occasion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:10 pm • # 55 

Hardy Flyweight
Orvis CFO II (2 9/16" model)
Hardy JLH Ultra Light 2/3/4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:42 pm • # 56 

Hardy Flyweight (with diy nylon drag). If silent, chinese plastic black fly reel (no name :-) )

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:19 pm • # 57 

zigo wrote:
Hardy Flyweight (with diy nylon drag). If silent, chinese plastic black fly reel (no name :-) )

Roberto, are you still out there? It’s good to see that you’re back my friend. Hope you’re staying safe and well in Italy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:17 pm • # 58 

Thankyou Pete :-) I live in parma who is one of the towns where there is higher spread of the infection and mortality. If somebody undervalue covid19, and say that it's a little more that a simple flu virus in my region the mortality is 100 Times more that a normal flu, 11% against 0,1%, and the diffusion rate is higher that the spanish flu, 2,5 against 2,1. Don't believe who say you that pass away only old and sick people, 2 days ago is dead one relative of my mate, a safe mother 40 yold. And 4 days before was dead his father. Today is dead a boy less 20 yold. Undervalue this killer is very dangerous...my friend..
Sorry for o.t.
This virus is a very efficent killer: is 10 times more that a normal flu and is very very fast. Here in a couple of weeks all the hospitals collapsed and without hospitalization the mortality increase other 10 times. And I live in a region who has an Health Service who is considered one of the best in Europe and in world. And Italy was considered the 7th in world like good health services and consequential Healthy Life Expectancy (ONU data, page 38 https://s3.amazonaws.com/happiness-repo ... endix1.pdf ).
Cemeteries are also collapsed: there are coffins stacked because they are too much for the regular services and military trucks are used to transport coffins to cemeteries. It's a disaster! And everything happened in few weeks.
Don't think that "few cases far from you" means that you are far from the problem, don't make our errors, don't undervalue the killer, make all you can and more to stop him NOW!
How I feel: full of pain and anger.
roberto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:51 am • # 59 

Roberto, in a situation like this it seems acceptable to go a bit off topic. Things are just starting in this country; it’s actually sad to see how such a potentially serious threat to public health is becoming politicized.

But, enough for thread hijacking. My go-to UL reel has long been a 3-4 weight Orvis Battenkill click and pawl that was purchased new in 1988 or 89. I would really like to get my hands on one of those old-timey 60-yard skeleton reels. Right now that somehow doesn’t seem like such a priority.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:52 pm • # 60 

Pete, don't get distracted by politicians who undervalue the problem. protect yourself and your family. Now.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4   [ 61 posts ] New Topic Add Reply