It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Disc Drag vs. Click/pawl
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:15 pm • # 1 

Which drag style do you prefer and why? I prefer click/pawl, but have been using a Lamson with the conical drag lately. I may never go back! Their drag system
is so smooooooooooooooooooooth!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:30 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I tend to prefer click pawl reels, I guess that is the traditionalist in me. I don't feel the need to have a disc drag for the fishing that I do. For me, a reel is nothing more than a line holder and a rod counter balance.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:08 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I like 'em all Image

Clickers look classic and tend to be lighter--I also like that the reels don't typically "freewheel" when retrieving line like a lot of the disk drags do.

Disk drags are quiet which is nice when you're stripping line and trying not to make much noise, and I do manage to get a bass "on the reel" every once in a while, and it's fun to let the drag do it's thing (although it's not really necessary).

For trout fishing I do try to get the bigger ones on the reel as quickly as possible and I prefer a disk drag.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:53 am • # 4 

I prefer the disc drag reels from an overall performance standpoint. I have a Ross Rythm and a Ross Evolution that I feel have exception drag capabilites. Most of my fishing is trout in the 14 to 16" class and drag only comes into play when a big fish hits a light tippet or when you get a big one on the reel.

I feel clickers are prefectly fine for a lot of purposes. Also, they generally cost less and I see a bigger selection of them in smaller, lighter configurations. They do tend be a bit loud for my taste. When I was younger I used to turn off the clicker do to the noise.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:41 am • # 5 

Gene, click pawl reels are great if drag isn't really necessary. I would feel more confident when hooked up to a five pound fish on my Lamson, than I would on a Hardy, especially on really light tippet like 6 or 7x.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:21 am • # 6 
Administrator

I've taken on larger fish with my click pawls and had no issues. I once got into a channel cat and was using my Orvis Battenkill clicker. I turned the drag nob all the way up, and it stopped the cat in it's tracks. If I get into something that still takes line with the drag all the way up, then I'll use finger pressure on the palming rim. You can stop big fish with the palming rim it's self. Doesn't take much pressure either. I'm not bashing anyone's choices here, I'm just saying what works for me. I have a hard time paying extra for a disc drag reel that doesn't work any better for me than a clicker with a palming rim.

Jeremy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:34 am • # 7 

Good point J. Palming rims are nice. However, if you can get the Orvis BBS 1 for less than a similarly sized click drag reel, take the disc, just my opinion of course. If you get a chance at a deal on a reel like everyone is offering on the Lamson Velocity 1, you have to take it!

I love these threads, we all have different opinions on drags, and yet, they all get the job done!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:01 am • # 8 

Click drag for me. I love the simplicity and the lightweight. My current favorite is the Battenkill 3/4 CP and that reel sits perfectly on my Lami 6'6" 3wt.

Something to be said for landing a decent fish on a click drag reel- really makes you bring your A-game to the fight.

Lou

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply