It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Beginner fly tying kit
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:28 am • # 1 

Hey guys, I'm wondering whats a good beginner fly tying kit? I've looked online and I'm not sure what to buy. I fish about every type of fly so I'd like something that's got a fair share of different flies. Thanks for any help ahead of time.

Austin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:05 am • # 2 

This is not a direct answer to your question, but an alternate suggestion: Can you find a fly tying class in your area? Locally, the fish and game clubs put them on over the winter months. The benefit of this is that they will teach you the techniques and, in the process, will generally advise you what to buy prior to each class so you can learn to tie that week's fly. They'll cover basic dry fly patterns, parachutes, deer hair spinning, marrying wings, etc. They are often tied in to a local shop or two which can supply you with inexpensive starter tools. You may end up in a year or two with a $300 pedestal rotary vise, but you can tie a LOT of flies with a cheap $20 Thompson knock-off vise and Sunrise tools. Or you may, like a fairly large percentage of students, find its just not for you, and you'll save yourself a lot of money.
I have a pretty nice rotary vise, but I still occasionally pull out my old Sunrise vise with midge jaw to tie some special little fly. It was my ONLY vise for about 20 years. And I'm still using a few of the starter tools from the course some 30+ years ago.
This is by no means the ONLY path to enlightenment, but its one of them.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:01 am • # 3 
Administrator

Brent,
You were reading my mail.

Revo- Nothing like a live class with hands-on instruction. Ask if some one has older spare vise to loan- something basic to learn on. You can always see what other people are using and buy based on those recommendations.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:33 am • # 4 

NO!!! Don't even think about starting to tie flies!!! Once you buy your starter kit then you'll start buying all kinds of other supplies. Before you know it you'll have to have an entire room in your house for your tying supplies and desks. Then, when your wife finds frozen squirrel tails and pheasant skins in the freezer she'll raise hell and you won't get her to even kiss you for months. You'll end up spending 10-15 times as much on equipment and supplies as you would if you simply bought the flies at a store. You'll also become so obsessed with tying flies that you'll forget about your family and just spend time in your tying room trying to tie the "perfect flies". So please, don't start tying and become a maniac like the rest of these guys. But if you do start doing it, you can send me flies because I am the official "Fly Tester" ULFF.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:47 pm • # 5 

I've been to the orvis tying class 5 times now that's what got me interested in buying my own gear. I tied for a little while back In 2011 and never really had the proper stuff so I quit lol. Now since I have alot of spare time on my hand due to owning my own online business I need something to do when there's 2 feet of snow out side and it's -2 degrees lol. Thanks for all your help guys.

Austin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:12 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Austin,
If that's the case, what's your budget? lot's of good options out there for true rotary vises- ranging in price from BT Danvise ( under $100) to Renzettis, DynaKings and others that top $500. Tools are a different matter Breakdown and buy a GOOD pair of scissors. Most ceramic bobbins will work fine.
the link below has the BT danvise as well as tools
http://www.btsflyfishing.com/catalog/Be ... sTools.htm

Les

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:42 pm • # 7 

Thanks Les! I believe I'm gonna order my stiff either today or tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated on what I choose. Thanks again for all the help!

Austin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:22 am • # 8 

Aw Les, please don't encourage him, he might turn out just like you. :lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:30 am • # 9 
Administrator

:)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:46 am • # 10 

Ah, sorry pal. Thought you were starting from scratch. Since you already know you want to (and like to) tie, let the collecting begin! And may god have mercy on your soul (and your budget).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:40 pm • # 11 

PSSSSSSS..........Don't think you will save big money by tying your own. It is a lot of fun, a lot of satisfaction catching a fish on a fly you tied yourself and you can "custom" make your flies to do exactly what you want. But, don't plan on saving a lot of money......It just doesn't seem to work out that way......( not that I am against it, for the most part I don't like "store-bought" flies )....................Don in SC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:43 pm • # 12 

Don's right. You'll save big on any one individual fly, but you'll end up with dozens, if not hundreds of size/colour variations for each pattern, and you'll tie and carry scores of bizarre patterns that will be ideal for that once-in-a-lifetime occurrences. Like the 7 year cicada pattern, or the weedless lemming fly 'just in case'. And you'll buy some exotic materials like hoary marmot scrotum hair for a pattern you saw in a magazine and just know will be a killer fly on your home waters. But you already know this, right?
Brent

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply