It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Ants and Epoxy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:08 am • # 1 

Good morning all,
I'm hoping to gather some info on tying ants with epoxy. Last year I bought some from Orvis and was amazed with the results. This month I'm hoping to tie my own. My question is, which epoxy is the easiest to start with? I've never used an epoxy while tying and all the different brands and styles are a little overwhelming. My tying background is pike and bass flies and this last year I decided to quit being scared and start tying my trout patterns as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did a search for ant patterns and didn't see a topic on wet ants tied with epoxy, I hope this question isn't redundant. Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Ants and Epoxy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:12 pm • # 2 

As a suggestion UV gel might be an option because you can build the body up and alter it in small increments if neccessary. The nice thing about it is that with the UV light it cures almost instantly. I have built up surf candy type fly heads with it and I find it very easy to use.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:53 pm • # 3 

That sounds great sir, is there any company who makes it that you would recommend? Thanks for your help. Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:10 pm • # 4 

SilverCreeks Crystal UV gel is the one I would recommend as it dries non tacky. I also use Sally Hansens gel but because it dries tacky the final coat I do with the SiverCreeks. The address for the SiverCreeks I can provide this evening. Look up the thread UV Epoxy on this forum for a discussion held last year on this subject.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:45 pm • # 5 

I will look that up sir, thanks again for your help, it is very appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:03 pm • # 6 

I use Gorilla glue for the body, a couple wraps of black hackle for legs. I lay down a base of black thread, then put two BB sized blobs of Gorilla glue on the top of the hook (in my case, a #16 2x long fine) then hang upside down, shank horizontal, to allow the glue to 'droop'.
When dry, I color with a Markall Sharpie and tie in the hackle, sparse.
They float, and seep to work.
Cheers,
R

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:25 pm • # 7 

Awesome Ron, I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:01 pm • # 8 

Welcome. I found that if I mix the Gorilla glue with a little water it causes it to foam (as in air bubbles) (and quickly) to the benefit of buoyancy. Be ready with a bodkin to apply the droplet.
Cheers,
R

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:51 pm • # 9 

Thanks for the help Ron and Linecaster. If I may, I would like to offer up that I have found that ants with purple bodies and tan legs are a killer for small brookies (at least in my neck of the woods). I can tie ants with dubbing and legs but I've been really wanting to get that sheen that the glue and epoxy offer. Thank you both very much.

Linecaster, I read the post you suggested and I'm excited to try the silver creek epoxy. Its great, because I have gorilla glue and can tie that style while I wait for the silver creek to show up and then do a comparison.

As always, any and all help would be appreciated. Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:08 am • # 10 

I just discovered this thread and it's real timely for me. Recently a friend and expert tier and guide recommended using epoxy ants as a dropper so I decided to tie some up. I tried various products: 5 minute epoxy, two types of UV "glue", Hard as Hull, and Loon Hard Head. I liked working with the UV products but both left a sticky residue and I know from previous experience that the surface will dull pretty quickly. On the advice of another tier, I coated the UV ants with Hard as Hull which is a head lacquer similar to Hard as Nails which gave them a nice shine. Kind of a pain though doing two steps and drying the lacquer completely before even tying in the hackle. The Hard Head made a nice ant but it shrinks a lot and required three coats at least an hour apart - which is way too much time for a lousy ant. My preference is 5 minute epoxy. You can only do 2-3 ants per small pool of epoxy but it sets up in a few minutes. Then you can mix another small pool and do another few. I then let them set for awhile until fully hard before hackling. I'm sure the epoxy is the most durable of all the products. If I was going to tie dozens, I might use regular 15 minute epoxy and use a turner. I used starling soft hackle because it's softer and should move in the water. Here are a few tied on a sz 14 nymph hook.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:30 pm • # 11 

^^^^^Those look great and are identical to what I want to replicate. Thank you very much, I will have to try that technique. Also, thank you for taking the time to post the photo and recipe, the ants look great!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:35 pm • # 12 

Should you decide on the SilverCreeks UV gel/epoxy here is the information. link. PM him and you will be helped.

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com ... 8e748&

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply