It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 41 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Guber Bugs
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:16 pm • # 21 

Ajcarricktx wrote:
Linecaster I agree with the fact they do give up easy usually. As with everything in life and fishing there are those few that are the exception. The one in the picture I posted fought hard enough for me to think it was a bass till I saw it.

Agreed, as I discovered today some behave much like a bass. I experienced two out of a dozen I caught today. Pictures to follow.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:26 pm • # 22 

Lancaster brought up an interesting point about Green Sunfish not fighting as hard as bluegills. There is another species of sunfish with large mouths I have caught in Georgia/North Carolina that give up quicker than a Green Sunfish; google eye is one name they go by. They hit like a cannon on top water and then it's pretty much over.
Blue Gills are exceptional fighters and a palm sized one gives a darn good fight on a light fly rod.

BTW, I've been having a good time the last few days catching gills with my #2 CGR. I picked up some #12 very lightly dressed flys named Renagades from a Cabela's bargin
barrel Friday. The fly only sinks a couple of inches beneath the surface and the gills and small bass have been slamming it. The lighter fly adds to the enjoyment of casting and adds something to the feel of the fight of the fish (compared to using a heavier fly).

Everything I've read on this forum points to the forum members generally using flies even smaller than a #12. What a joy!

Now, what do I do with all those oversized flies I picked up from Cabela's during their sales? I must have over $200 worth.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:31 am • # 23 

Hold on to them, to be honest, I don't think I have used anything smaller then a #12 since the trout stocking program ended here in Tx this year. 95% of my fishing is with my 3wt TFO BVK, 3% with my Tenkara Rod, and the other 2% is with my 5wt TFO Axiom.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:48 am • # 24 

At last I was able to get out on my Kayak and do some fishing in the lake Cliff introduced me to years ago.
Started out with my 2 weight CGR and the Grass Hopper pictured, had serious fun with "Sunnies" Green Sunfish and the two big Blue Gill all on the top.Those fish put a serious bend on the CGR especially the Blue Gill. When things went quiet changed to the Goober Bug on the TFO Professional 2 weight and only one fish on that, then Briminator one fish back to the Grass Hopper and the Long ear took it.

ImageImageImage

Caught a bunch of Green Sunfish.

Briminator

Goober Bug
ImageImage

Big Blue Gill
ImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:22 am • # 25 

Nice. I have had my 3wt BVK in 8' and 10' lengths for awhile now. I really thinking about getting rid of it and getting another TFO pro II 2wt, or maybe the Finesse. Have had both. Waiting on my disability check to deposit (finally received my rating from the VA) going to pick up a kayak or one man pontoon so that will get rid of the need for the longer rods for the extra distance wanted when fishing ponds and lakes from the bank. Think I'm wrong in my way of thinking?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:56 am • # 26 

I would not go shorter, I just love my 8' TFO 2 weight , I also like the longer rods for the Kayak. The CGR is nice for streams.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:06 am • # 27 

personal taste differ from individual to individual but I prefer my shorter rods for yaking; I want them just long enough for me to clear either end of the yak when a big fish runs under the boat. I generally don't make casts over 40 feet out of my yak, and mostly shorter casts than that. I use longer rods for tubing or kick boating-p-

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:45 am • # 28 

pearow wrote:
personal taste differ from individual to individual but I prefer my shorter rods for yaking; I want them just long enough for me to clear either end of the yak when a big fish runs under the boat. I generally don't make casts over 40 feet out of my yak, and mostly shorter casts than that. I use longer rods for tubing or kick boating-p-

-p- with a 12' kayak a minimum length of rod to clear either end of the boat would be 7'? Another reason why I prefer the longer rod. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:19 am • # 29 

Makes since to me. Planning on a 10 or 12' tack or a 8 or 9' pontoon.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:57 pm • # 30 

mbarker68x wrote:
Makes since to me. Planning on a 10 or 12' tack or a 8 or 9' pontoon.

Have you loked at the I think it is called Sea King inflatables, I have the brochure at home. They have a boat come float tube that you can row and or kick paddle that is used on some of the guide rivers in Wyoming etc. You can get to a wadeable spot then stand up with your feet on the ground without getting out of or away from the boat. They were a little pricey for me but a good in between boat.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:41 pm • # 31 

Haven't looked at the sea king brand. But I have looked at the outcast scout, it's a frameless pontoon/ float tube. Runs about 600-650. But I can get a redfish 10 or 12 for 400 and 500.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:29 pm • # 32 

I sold my float tube years ago because the small lake I fish in had so much grass in it made it unenjoyable. Ended up with my latest Perception Sport Pescador 12. For $320.00 from Acadamy.
Just love it.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:00 pm • # 33 

Mbarker68x I just picked up a native ultimate fx15 tandem. Let me know if you want to go break it in with me. Looking into places to fly fish out of it now.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:03 pm • # 34 

Image we can fish in style and comfort if you're interested. Looking forward to chasing some rio grande cichlids out of it soon since I've never caught one yet.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:25 pm • # 35 

nice, thanks for the offer. Tuesday I have to set up a Rod and give some casting instructions to a vet. I volunteer with Project healing waters when I can. Currently have no ul set ups probably until the 24th. But I'm game to help ya out any time you want to take that beast out.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:15 pm • # 36 

That looks really nice, congratulations, many happy fishing trips ahead. Borrow Aj's ultra lights.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:11 pm • # 37 

He's right. I have a cabelas three forks 7,6" I use as a backup you can use.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:25 pm • # 38 

Any time wed-Friday next week

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:48 pm • # 39 

I am officially jealous, good luck, no pictures and the trip will not be believed.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:00 pm • # 40 

Ok let me check what I have and I'll let you know.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 41 posts ] New Topic Add Reply