It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: ROADKILL
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:41 am • # 1 

Okay, how many of you guys pick up roadkill alongside the roadways to use for tying flies? What kind do use pick up? Do your wives really let you bring it in the house or are you confined to the garage?

Post subject: Re: ROADKILL
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:25 am • # 2 

No. I've got too many $ tied up in materials to risk bug contamination.
Plus, here in Ca, trying to retrieve something in our traffic risks your joining it's fate. :0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:34 am • # 3 

Yep. RECENTLY: Got a nice piece of muskrat (the underfur is excellent for adams dubbing because of the colour and the natural waterproof nature), gray and red squirrel tail, fox tail, and about two weeks ago I got a bunch of chukar feathers at the end of my lane - my neighbour trains versatile hunting dogs and keeps all kinds of different game birds; this one clearly got away and never learned how to cross the road.
Over the years, I've found mink, otter, short-tailed and long-tailed weasel, bobcat, lynx, trashpanda, coyote, and of course, moose mane. I've had a chance at bear hair, but I find it way too hard to work with.
My tying room is in a room over the garage anyway, but I do toss suspect stuff into the house freezer in bags for a while. Wife's pretty accommodating. Early in our marriage (coming up to 44 years) I did field work involving reptiles and amphibians, and she was pretty used to finding cloth bags with snakes in them in the fridge (keeps 'em docile) and containers with live frogs and salamanders in the veg crisper. So she's kinda desensitized (or has just given up).
brent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:52 pm • # 4 

Wheezeburnt, your wife is setting the bar pretty high. My wife tolerates my hanging fishing rods on our bedroom walls, walls are wooden pine planks, but
she'd never tolerate critters in the fridge. Hat's off to your wife.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:55 am • # 5 

JimRed: Its the secret to our long-lived marriage: each year she lowers her standards, and each year I almost meet them. ;)
Seriously, she has no fear of snakes and such. The first time we met, (at 17) I was on my way home from the farm with two dead groundhogs strapped over the back of my motorcycle and a rifle on my back. She didn't mention either. She DID mention that she also rode a motorcycle and that we should get out for a ride sometime. She could do WAY better than me as a partner, but I'm hoping she never figures that out. :eek
brent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:28 pm • # 6 

:( :( :( Back in the day---waaaay back---I worked with a vertebrate paleontologist that had a bumper sticker that read "I brake for roadkill." He wasn't kidding. Freshness didn't matter, skeletal integrity did.

I have "recycled" a fresh squirrel and would have done so for many birds if it was legal here. The one time I spotted a very, very fresh fox the wife was in the vehicle with me and decided I didn't need fox. Sigh.....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:53 am • # 7 

Hah! the fox story reminded me of a great prank we played some years back. My buddy's wife had two Shelties that she thought the world of. On our way home from a fishing trip one day, we spotted a dead red fox with a beautiful bushy tail. He remarked that it sort of looked like a sheltie tail, so we grabbed it. Next time he was cutting the lawn, he came rushing into the kitchen, breathlessly holding the tail and saying one of the dogs got too close to the mower. It made no sense logistically, but she took the bait anyway, and rushed outside. He was in the proverbial doghouse for a while, but he felt it was worth it.
brent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:54 am • # 8 

I knew this guy who tied flies to sell at the local fly shop and he told me once that when he saw a dead red fox squirrel in the road (in Tyler, TX there were plenty!) he would open his door and whack off the tail with his machete without even stopping. Jim tied the best flies I have ever used. He now sells them online. http://stores.ebay.com.au/Jim-Greens-Cu ... -Page.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:03 pm • # 9 

Pearow uses dead armadillo shells to tie spoon flies.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:50 am • # 10 

This weekend I drove up (and back down) to the Driftless. Usually, I see at least 5 roadkilled deer, but this time only one. OTOH, a large amount of possums, raccoons, and skunks. The last one intrigues me as I like skunk fur, at least the strip, for certain flies. I haven't been able to get over the ugh factor, though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:24 am • # 11 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:

Now, that's interesting. I wonder what size hook he uses for them, and which ultralight outfit he uses to cast them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:31 am • # 12 

PampasPete wrote:
Cliff Hilbert wrote:

Now, that's interesting. I wonder what size hook he uses for them, and which ultralight outfit he uses to cast them.

I think with a spinning reel and line, on a 3 weight rod if I remember correctly. :eek

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply