It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Mini Streamers
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:11 pm • # 1 

Ok, guys. As of late I'm hooked on streamer fishing...

It's just one of many styles I've been working to learn. Dry flies, nymphing, wet fly's, streamers, etc.

I'm mainly hooked on the streamers right now because of the Salmon I'm lucky enough to live by. I've been tossing my 8wt salmon rod with OPST Commando head and Lazar running line and I love it. I suck pretty bad at the Skagit casting but I'm definitely getting better and all I can say is that using a shooting head, running line and having no back cast is awesome! It's something I want to duplicate in my UL rod.

The next thing I'd like to duplicate is my box of streamers, but mini. The fairly dumb fish in my urban lake all love little minnows or anything that looks to be swimming. You can get a group of a dozen 6" rainbows following a little fly as it swims along next to the dock, it's pretty funny. Good learning though to watch the fish and see what actions they like.

Anyone else buy, use or tie up their own miniature streamer flies? I'm thinking I may have to get into fly tying so I can make my own small streamers.

Post subject: Re: Mini Streamers
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:54 pm • # 2 

Mini buggers, Briminators, Mylar minnows, #12-6 clouser minnows just to name a few castable with my 2wt RDP rod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:49 pm • # 3 

I have great luck with this one (a modified spruce fly streamer) in 12 and 14

Caught bluegill, yellow perch, chain pickerel, fallfish, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, and brook trout.
Brent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:52 am • # 4 

I bought this, which landed a few bluegill today (Tak's mini minnow, from the fly shop)

I'll be tying them up.

This is also an easy to tie, small pattern... I'm not sure if it's for sale (scroll down to soluble minnow)
http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=c9d ... 0722bc1&e=[UNIQID]

Honestly, I routinely fish olive krystal buggers on a #10 hook. That produces 95% of the bass and bluegill I catch down here.

You should look into tying. You'll be able to shrink the majority of your patterns!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:00 pm • # 5 

ImageImage

3 of my absolute favorites, sized 14-10 from top to bottom. The bottom one has accounted for a bunch of over 20" fish in the last couple autumns. The top one is just killer anywhere there are damsels.
Top: maribou tail, wrapped up to head, 2 wraps J Fair short shuck. Don't not worry about details, the fish will tear it up pretty quickly.
Middle: maribou tail w/2 strips flash, dubbed body with a little flash in it.
Bottom: just like the middle but bigger and with a body of a wire dubbing loop with longer fur.

The maribou isn't very durable, but soooo lifelike. 99% of the time in stillwater one of these are on my line.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:43 pm • # 6 

I've been tying Thunder Creeks with schlappen and UV resin heads down to size 16. I'm largely fishing warmwater and bass hookups have been problematic with anything smaller than 12.

I fish wooly buggers as small as 18, but mostly around 12. Cat's whiskers to 12, ditto clousers, although I've some eyes now for smaller.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:47 am • # 7 

I found a package of #18 streamer hooks! I have used them for Spruce Flies (my favorite streamer), but also a rolled muddler. I doubt if something that small is actually necessary, but kinda cool.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:39 pm • # 8 

This thing looks great! I bet that would work well.

I love the clouser minnow style. I'm going to have to make up some of those for sure.

This one with a bit of purple in the body would work for sure down at my local pond.

I'm definitely going to have to slowly get into tying some flies. I might have to buy a few flies in the meantime though :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:17 pm • # 9 

Send me your address in a PM and let me know what sizes you're interested in, and I'll ship you a handful of spruce flies. I'll mail them next time I'm across the line in the US.
brent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:44 am • # 10 

I tie up lots of small streamers - sizes 10 or smaller - mostly tiny buggers, clousers, and mini muddlers. Very very effective.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:08 am • # 11 

I forget is this is an 18 or a 20

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:44 pm • # 12 

I second what Mckenzie said ........and that is an awesome tie on the size 18 or 20 clouser.I would fish any of those flies pictured above with absolute confidence that I was gonna hammer some fish.Nice job guys.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:12 pm • # 13 

Not to distract from the excellent suggestions above on tying flys, but if you HAVE to buy, here is a place that sells inexpensive flies:
https://www.bigyflyco.com/yukbug-detail.htm. I drop a bit of super glue on the tip of the flies I buy from there and after doing that they
last pretty well. I like their yuk bug and rubber legged cone headed wolly bugger.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:19 pm • # 14 

Some time back I posted a thread in the "step by step" section on ultralight saltwater flies; those might work for you. Very simple ties and very effective. I spent the week before Christmas in Rockport catching specks on them. They can be tied on much smaller hooks than I use in salt water, but I can cast them with my 2 weight and my half weight.

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply