It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 33 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Soft Plastic Plus
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:22 pm • # 1 

I've always carried a Leland's Lures Mini Magnet 85 piece kit in my vest. Never took it out much but when I did it was because other things weren't working and then it always caught fish. I guess I didn't use them more just because they're not very traditional.

Last week I was watching Streamer Chronicles on YouTube and Kelly Galloup was talking about the future of flies, saying that he thinks they will become more like lures. Well, if Kelly's up for that type of stuff, who am I to protest. ;)

So now I'm experimenting with what I call an SP+ (soft plastic plus). Basically using the tiny Mini Magnet grub but adding other materials to give it more movement and/or flash. Here are some done on both the size 14, 1/200th oz jig heads and also with tungsten beads on size 12 barbless jig hooks. I suspect they will perform well.

The ones on the bottom are starling, except for the leftmost, which is ostrich plume.

Post subject: Re: Soft Plastic Plus
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:19 am • # 2 

Very nice Knotty, good looking flies, SPs. Nice pictures too.

Sometimes I fish with what I call a jig and pig, copying a traditional bass lure name. My jig and pig is just a micro jig or bare hook with
a 1 to 2 inch crappie tube. Sometimes, most of the time, I cut the crappie tube in strips or in half. For me it's been effective for all fish...trout, catfish, bass and sunfish. I expected
to catch carp with them and have had no luck with carp.....I've even scented them for carp but still no luck. This summer, I am going to try that static indicator technique suggested on this forum for Carp and use the jig and pig. I always trim down the jig too so that it's lighter and castable.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:41 am • # 3 

Man - the Trout Magnet - which is the larger version of the Mini Magnet (and smaller version of the Crappie Magnet) are just flat out deadly lures for trout and panfish. I use them a lot on ultralight spin rods - and I admit I've fished them under a float with my fly rod on waters where it's legal (here in Oregon, soft plastics are defined as bait, not lures, so in fly & lure only water they are illegal)

Your SP+ flies will fish, for sure!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:51 am • # 4 

Jim - I suspect the tubes and strips of tubes have a lot of movement in the water, which to me is probably one of the most important things for attracting a bite. Once I finally figure out how to cast my 3 wt switch rod I plan to do a lot of experimenting with fly casting tubes for smallmouth on the Delaware.

McKenzie - Trout Magnets sure do produce. My spinning gear sees little action but when it does a TM will often be involved. Tough to cast that 1/64th oz jig head though, even with UL spin gear. Interesting that Oregon classifies soft plastics as bait. I can sort of see the thinking but to me if it's not scented then it's not bait. I'm sure there's been endless debate on the subject.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:54 pm • # 5 

Knotty,

Excellent flies,,,, a revolution (evolution) to the Soft Hackle style.

Post any additional ideas please.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:21 pm • # 6 

Thanks FK. I posted a report on fishing these here.

One thing I've discovered is that jig hook w. bead version is that I need to add more thread behind the bead to secure it. After a number of fish it started to slide back down the hook shank some.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:07 pm • # 7 

Try adding a few wraps of lead or lead free wire immediately behind the bead. Push it up into the void and then add thread and head cement.

The following technique is for standard beads,, not the slotted beads snf jig hooks.
Some also add the bead with larger hole towards the hook eye this makes thread base more secure to hold bead in place.
Another reason for inverted hole is to I.D. tungsten bead from brass bead when fishing.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:41 pm • # 8 

I bet those would be deadly on some bluegill.Nice ties.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:00 am • # 9 

Knotty wrote:
Jim - I suspect the tubes and strips of tubes have a lot of movement in the water, which to me is probably one of the most important things for attracting a bite. Once I finally figure out how to cast my 3 wt switch rod I plan to do a lot of experimenting with fly casting tubes for smallmouth on the Delaware.

McKenzie - Trout Magnets sure do produce. My spinning gear sees little action but when it does a TM will often be involved. Tough to cast that 1/64th oz jig head though, even with UL spin gear. Interesting that Oregon classifies soft plastics as bait. I can sort of see the thinking but to me if it's not scented then it's not bait. I'm sure there's been endless debate on the subject.

Ah - see on the spinning gear I always use a two-jig rig. I tie them 12 inches apart, and use different color magnets. The rods I use have no problems tossing a 1/32 ounce setup by themselves, but usually I'm also fishing them under a small float. The foam floats the magnets come with in the big packs, or that you buy stand alone work OK - but I prefer using Thill balsa floats. They make some skinny floats that attach via silicone bands, and those are the ones I prefer. Two 1/64th trout magnets take the 1.5" float, and you'll get just the tip of the float above the surface. This is really helpful on lethargic fish, or when you don't want any resistance felt by the fish. I typically don't go heavier than 4lb main line on my UL spinning rigs - and on the rod that sees the most Magnet use, I run 2lb Berkley Trilene mono in the clear color. I'm not trying to heave 60' casts out - as I'm usually targetting panfish with these rigs, and they're usually within 30 feet, which is easily doable. I like a long - 7+ foot ultralight rod for this type of fishing, and I've been known to use a flyrod for it too - I'm not above putting a spinning reel on a fly rod - but I actually found that the Okuma Celilo - which a a cheeap rod - is very good for this sort of fishing, and you can get them upto 8'6" long in ultralight power. My all around favorite in their lineup is the 7'6" Light power, followed up by the 7' ultralight power rod. Nice rods for $20-30.

Another tip - similar to fkrow's - you could use a thick piece of copper or steel wire, put a 60 degree bend in it, trim to desired length, and then secure that to the hook shank behind the bead for form a plastic keeper for the magnet bodies. No super glue needed at that point, and much more secure than just putting it over thread or lead.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:46 pm • # 10 

mmkenzia, great tips, I have not tried float fishing a jig with fly rod,, should work fine.

I also use a barb to secure soft plastics to a hook for fly casting.
My original concept was a piece of 20# mono tied to the hook shank with 45 degree bend open end pointing towards the hook eye.
This will secure the soft plastic on the hook without requiring thread. When the soft plastic becomes torn up,, just remove and replace with new piece.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:34 pm • # 11 

I'm loving these ideas mckenzie and FK!

Watching YouTubes I've noticed that the fishermen in Great Britain talk about their floats being rated in grams, which I find very helpful. In the US you'll see a display of various Thill bobbers but they're never quantified. Even online you rarely find any info other than the size.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:46 pm • # 12 

Not worthy of their own forum thread, I'll share an additional soft plastic item here. On eBay I did a search, looking for the smallest soft plastics out there. In the end, nothing was smaller than the mini magnets but some 1" micro curl tail grubs looked promising. At 50 for only $5.25 w. free shipping they're a deal.

Below they're on size 10 jig hooks w/o beads and size 8 with. The squirmy wormy on a size 10 provides some reference. They've been producing well with yellow perch on my cold local pond where the ice had just melted. Caught a few dozen in both shallow and deeper waters. The point up jig hood did a great job of not snagging tree leaves which line the bottom of the lake.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:17 am • # 13 

NIce pictures and thanks for showing the SPs. That perch looks mad, kind of comical.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:06 pm • # 14 

Here is my version of home made low cost jig hook for soft plastics.

The mono barb is necessary for fly casting, without it the soft plastic will not stay on the hook very long.
The style of plastics I like for smallmouth are the grub curly tails by Berkley, 1.5" to 2" long.

Hook = Mustad 3906B, size 6 shown, any bait hook is suitable.
Thread = Gudebrod size A rod wrapping thread, unwaxed of course
Split Shot - open wide and pinch on with pliers over thread base. Glue onto hook
Mono Barb = Mono approx. 12#-15#, propped up at 45 degrees with thread and glued.
Place the mono on side opposite hook point for max. gape clearance.

Regards,
FK

Last edited by fkrow on Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:05 pm • # 15 

JimRed, I love the look of a perch, head on, with gills flared. Definitely PO'd.

FK, thanks for sharing your method in both image and word. Wouldn't have thought of either the mono barb or splitshot as a bead replacement. Will probably need to use a lighter mono for the 1" micro curl tail grubs. Will update after I've tried it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:04 pm • # 16 

the line between fly and spinning are blurring for sure.i tie jig versions of flies and vice versa.have been using spinning gear since i was 4.took up the flyrod 20 years ago but have been using it 80% of the time the last 5.is a flyrod the best tool?heck no.i dont fish below 10 feet with flies.dont like casting sinking lines.if i have to fish deeper i use nanofil or other super lines on ultra lights.i just enjoy the flyrod ,the casting, the flies.if it was all about catching a can of worms will caych most anything

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:44 pm • # 17 

the hersh wrote:
the line between fly and spinning are blurring for sure.i tie jig versions of flies and vice versa.have been using spinning gear since i was 4.took up the flyrod 20 years ago but have been using it 80% of the time the last 5.is a flyrod the best tool?heck no.i dont fish below 10 feet with flies.dont like casting sinking lines.if i have to fish deeper i use nanofil or other super lines on ultra lights.i just enjoy the flyrod ,the casting, the flies.if it was all about catching a can of worms will caych most anything

100% agree, gave up spinning 35 yrs ago if I can't catch it on the fly rod I don't fish. If I was depending on a catch to eat I may revert to the darkside. So far not necessary.
You guys are going to get Pearow and Cliff all fired up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:44 am • # 18 

I am using a fly rod with floating line and mono leader, to me this is fly casting and fly fishing.

We have embraced synthetics of all kinds in fly tying,,,, wrapping lead wire on a hook, bead heads and lead dumb bell eyes have been used for many years.

Practice catch and release with barbless hooks,,, why is anyone offended?

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:41 am • # 19 

No offense intended, to some controversial. Pearow and Cliff love bigger stuff for lmb bass.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:52 pm • # 20 

sorry ,did not mean to offend anyone either every one is free and encouraged to fish any legal way they choose.my point was jigs and plastics already exist and if you want to throw them on a flyrod it doesn't bother me in the least. i fish for recreation.it is a hobby. the few times of year i fish for meat is lake michigan perch. a crappie rig straight down off the pier with bait.if a jig was more efficient i would use a jig.if i could coax them up to 10 feet i would use flies.if i want to fish a jig and plastic i use a spinning rod.just a better tool.i know people who tip their flies with gulp and other plastics.since i tie i want my fly to work on it's own merits,part of the hobby for me.i use my knowledge using spinning and casting gear for many years to come up with flies that match what was/is successful.every body have fun

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 33 posts ] New Topic Add Reply