It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Soft Hackle
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:33 am • # 1 

What is your favorite soft hackle fly and why ?

Post subject: Re: Soft Hackle
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:17 pm • # 2 

I make a small - Size 16 to 18 - soft hackle with a few turns of peacock herl and a single wrap of starling. It works great; I fish it on top until it swamps, then just under the surface. The black with a little iridescence from both materials, is quite effective. I don't even know if it has a name, but I'm not so inventive that would have invented it, so I must have seen it somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:31 pm • # 3 

This is simple for me. Stewarts Spider. I like fishing them in pocket water behind rocks, or below riffles. Brown trout seem to hit these harder than any other wet or dry I fish with. Its also the tradition of fishing spiders the way Stewart did back then. It worked then, and it still works as good today.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:29 pm • # 4 

Hi weiliwen,

I use a soft hackle fly very similar to the one you describe.
It's very succesful, I don't know if it is the flashy peacock , but it definetly attracks trout, especially brookies.

Another one that I like very much is the orange patridge.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:34 pm • # 5 

Hello Iasgair,

This classic soft hackle is new to me. I looked it up on the web and I found two differents paterns.
One has the hackle winded from the middle of the body through the head the other has the hackle winded only close the close to the head. Which one do you use ?

Both of them looks very interesting

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:10 am • # 6 

Le Moucheur wrote:
Hello Iasgair,

This classic soft hackle is new to me. I looked it up on the web and I found two differents paterns.
One has the hackle winded from the middle of the body through the head the other has the hackle winded only close the close to the head. Which one do you use ?

Both of them looks very interesting

So very sorry for a very delayed answer my friend. Your typical ( as I call them ) spiders are tied with the hackle up near the eye, like the very popular Partridge & Orange.

But, my all time favorite is Stewarts Spider, which is tied from the middle of the shank to the eye. It's a very old pattern, and it just doesn't stop producing. What I normally do is fish with two spider patterns at once, and the Stewarts Spider is always fished below a Partridge & Orange or a Waterhen Bloa, something of that nature. The Stewart is deadly.

Here are some videos of tying I like. The first is Davie McPhail, one of the greatest modern tyers today. He has his own style of tying, but does it so simply.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0W00N2hBHE

The next is the traditional way, the way Stewart tied them so long ago. Either style works.
To keep within the rules of the forum, being that we may not have permission to post the link to this video, look up Oliver Edwards, tying Stewarts Black Spider. It's definitely worth watching.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:38 pm • # 7 

thanks for your input. I think I will have to add this pattern to my winter tying list!!!

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply